Mandrake 8.2 install nonfunction on OldWorld mac

Mandrake 8.2 install nonfunction on OldWorld mac

Post by Cory Wiegers » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:53:24

I isntalled Mandrake 8.2 linux on my PowerMac 7300/200.

The entire install process went off without a hitch, I then loaded
into BootX the suggested kernel and RamDisk, I get the kernel panic

Kernel Panic : no init found. try passing init= option to kernel.

isn't the init supposed to be in the RamDisk?'
Any help I could get would be VERY helpful

Post by Nikk » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:11:08

> I isntalled Mandrake 8.2 linux on my PowerMac 7300/200.

> The entire install process went off without a hitch, I then loaded
> into BootX the suggested kernel and RamDisk, I get the kernel panic

> Kernel Panic : no init found. try passing init= option to kernel.

> isn't the init supposed to be in the RamDisk?'
> Any help I could get would be VERY helpful

Hi Cory

sorry this isn't the sort of reply you wanted, but as I am in the
process of considering Mandrake on a 7300/200, I'm hoping you'll share
your results whatever they may be.

I got the same Kernel Panic trying to put NetBSD onto an SE/30, and
can't say I got round that at all, being a nube without a computing
degree.  Sorry I haven't anything more helpful to add.

On my 7300, I've installed an old copy of LinuxPPC 2000 which works
perfectly (except I can't get anything to print), and also Debian 3.0,
though I can't get X to run with that (Debian is tricky and I may not
have fed it the right video information). YDL 2.2 worked fine, but 2.3
not so.

All the best, and please tell us how it went...

Nikki

Post by FooDud » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:29:06

> I isntalled Mandrake 8.2 linux on my PowerMac 7300/200.

> The entire install process went off without a hitch, I then loaded
> into BootX the suggested kernel and RamDisk, I get the kernel panic

> Kernel Panic : no init found. try passing init= option to kernel.

> isn't the init supposed to be in the RamDisk?'
> Any help I could get would be VERY helpful

I haven't used Mandrake, but isn't the RAM disk kernel for the
installation process only? Using BootX (with other dists) I've always
changed it (to something like /dev/sda7) immediately after installation
and BEFORE for the first reboot.  The wording of your post suggests you
haven't done that.

IF that's the case (and my apologies if I've misunderstood) you should
click on Options - in the BootX window - uncheck the RAM disk, and in
the main window enter the name of your root partition to the right of
where it says Root device: /dev/ ....  Then save to preferences, and
try rebooting.

If the worst come to the worst, do a search for the Bootprompt HOWTO,
which has numerous solutions to try. N.B. keep notes of what you've
tried!

Hope that's at least a LITTLE BIT helpful.

Good Luck!

(the) FooDude

Post by Whom » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:59:01

> I isntalled Mandrake 8.2 linux on my PowerMac 7300/200.

> The entire install process went off without a hitch, I then loaded
> into BootX the suggested kernel and RamDisk, I get the kernel panic

> Kernel Panic : no init found. try passing init= option to kernel.

> isn't the init supposed to be in the RamDisk?'
> Any help I could get would be VERY helpful

I do remember that issue while trying Mdk 9.1. I don't know if this is the
same thing with Mdk 8.2, but here it is anyway: with Mdk, you effectively
have to use a ramdisk for the initrd that complements the kernel. Because
selecting a ramdisk in BootX Options disables the data entry area for
specifying / , you have to indicate the root partition as kernel argument.
Did you specify root=/dev/xxx as argument (xxx being something like hda6 or
sda7 on which you mounted / during the installation)?

1. Installing Mandrake 8.2 on Mac PowerPC 8500/120

I have tried to glean info from many of the postings on installing
Linux on the OldWorld Macs.  I thought I had tried everything but I'm
getting nowhere.  So I'll ask for help directly.

I have a 8500/120 with 96 meg of memory.  I have 2 Quantum 2 gig SCSI
drives. I have my MacOS and all Mac stuff on 1 drive (sda).  I have
used APS PowerTools to format and partition the other drive (sdb).

I place the Mandrake CD (that I burned) in the cd reader.  Boot into
MacOS.  Then I use BootX.  I put in ramdisk_size=360000 that has been
suggested all over the place.  I use the vmlunix and all.img.  I then
click on the Linix button to boot off the cd.

Everything works well, I get the 'no cd', then select mesh driver and
then yahoo, Mandrake is read of the cd.  I begin the installation
processes, I get a beautiful xwindow installation asking me for my
language, terms of agreement, install type, etc.  BUT when it gets to
the filesystem it craps out.  I get an error ..."Found MacOS partition
at /dev/sda1".  Then it states to reboot.

A Mac hardrive on sda and the new Linux drive at sdb.  How do I get
the installer to recognize that I want to install on 'sdb'.  I know
that my root area is /dev/sdb5.

Thanks for any help

2. rxvt hangs up?!?

3. Mandrake 8.2 on Old World mac

4. Different between time

5. Installing Mandrake 8.2

6. Burning CD's on Solaris x86

7. Mandrake 8.2 Install Problem...

8. dnotify fix for readv/writev (Linux 2.4.20)

9. Yellowdog 2.3 vers Mandrake 8.2 install comparison

10. Help install Mandrake Linux 8.2 on 800 MHz PowerBook G4

11. Yellowdog 2.3 vers Mandrake 8.2 install comparison

12. Mandrake 8.1 & 8.2 install problems

13. Cant install Mandrake 8.2