YDL 2.0 and Yaboot -- Problem Dual Booting with Mac OS

YDL 2.0 and Yaboot -- Problem Dual Booting with Mac OS

Post by mikec » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 10:01:46

I am new to Linux, and am trying to install YellowDog Linux on an iMac. I
have gotten it installed, but it is getting Yaboot to work correctly where I
am currently stuck.

I put the yaboot, yaboot.conf, vmlinux and bootscript file in the Mac System
folder on the harddrive. If I go to the Open Firmware and type in:

boot hd:6,\\\\yaboot

the iMac loads the yaboot.conf file, and I can start Linux. I see that the
version of Yaboot is 0.8, and then it is reading the yaboot.conf file, etc.

If I go to the Open Firmware and type in:

boot hd:6,\\\\:tbxi

the iMac loads the Mac OS, and it works fine.

If I go to the Open Firmware and type in:

boot hd:6,\\\\bootscript

I get a diskette with a question mark (?) flashing on the screen, and after
a short pause (while the flashing continues) the iMac boots the Mac OS.

I tried to simplify the yaboot.conf file as much as possible. It now looks
like this:

init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit TAB for boot
options.\n\n"
timeout = 150
default = linux
image = hd:6,\\\\vmlinux
label = linux
novideo

I tried to simplify the the bootscript file as much as possible. The one I
am using looks like this:

<CHRP-BOOT>
<COMPATIBLE>
iMac,1
</COMPATIBLE>
<DESCRIPTION>
Yellow Dog Linux Boot Loader
</DESCRIPTION>
<BOOT-SCRIPT>
" get-key-map" " keyboard" open-dev $call-method
dup dup 20 dump

" Booting Yaboot..." cr " boot hd:6,\\\\yaboot" eval
else
" Booting Mac OS..." cr " boot hd:6,\\\\:tbxi" eval
then
</BOOT-SCRIPT>
</CHRP-BOOT>

When I try to change the Open Firmware to point to the bootscript file
permanently (using setenv to point the boot-command, boot-file and
boot-device to my bootscript file), I get the same flashing ? on the
diskette, and then the Mac OS.

Can anyone help me understand what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.
Michael Cherry

Post by Hado He » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 01:19:01

> I am new to Linux, and am trying to install YellowDog Linux on an iMac. I
> I tried to simplify the the bootscript file as much as possible. The one I
> am using looks like this:

> <CHRP-BOOT>
> <COMPATIBLE>
> iMac,1
> </COMPATIBLE>
> <DESCRIPTION>
> Yellow Dog Linux Boot Loader
> </DESCRIPTION>
> <BOOT-SCRIPT>
> " get-key-map" " keyboard" open-dev $call-method
> dup dup 20 dump

> " Booting Yaboot..." cr " boot hd:6,\\\\yaboot" eval
> else
> " Booting Mac OS..." cr " boot hd:6,\\\\:tbxi" eval
> then
> </BOOT-SCRIPT>
> </CHRP-BOOT>

First one question : With this you have the yaboot on the same
partiotion with the MacOS, respectively you have the yaboot in the
system folder _and_ are having no Linux Boot Partition ?

Could be that there are not two tbxi/chrp files in one folder allowed.
Since the macos also has a a tbxi/chrp aka MacOS Rom.
Perhaps you should put the yaboot stuff outside the systemfolder and
modify the script as following :

Quote:> " Booting Yaboot..." cr " boot hd:6,\right path goes here\yaboot" eval
> else
> " Booting Mac OS..." cr " boot hd:6,\also a fine path\:tbxi" eval

Then you could have that boot script in the yaboot folder, point in
nvram therto and redireict to to the systemfolder.
--
Hado Hein, Berlin, Fed. Rep. of Germany
      find PGP and http in Headers

1. Dual Boot Mac OS & YDL

I will admit, that I took the easy way out and ordered a Hard Drive
with Yellow Dog Linux pre-installed.

I have 2 questions. First....If your Linux is on a physically seperate
drive, not a partition, but a dedicated HD....Do I need to set the
jumpers on the dedicated Linux HD to "Primary", "Secondary Master",
"Slave" or Secondary Slave".

Second.....The Mac OS does 'see' the Linux HD, ( if jumpers set to
slave) but shows the YDL HDD, 'unmounted'. It only boots into Mac 9.1
no matter what I do, and I can ONLY get the dedicated Linux HD to
run....by opening the G4's case and actually disconnecting the ribbon
cable from the Mac OS HD.

I know there are dual boot loaders I can put on the Mac OS HD, to boot
into either, if I could get the Mac OS to recognize the Linux HD
existed. I have read about Yaboot, BootX, etc. but have not seen
instructions for seperate HD installs, and I don't know where to go
about finding or downloading what I need. I have also read of a
'Config" file that I need to install in the System Folder and boot
with the 'Crntl' Key down to 'bless it" and make it bootable. I have
done the Opt, Comm, O-F key at boot and tried to force a boot from the
Linux HDD, and that doesn't wok either.

Just a little more info on my system....It is a Jan 2001 model, 466Mhz
Processor, 133 Mhz FS Bus, G4, with 640MB RAM. 30 Gig HD with Mac
OS9.1 on a 15 gig partition and Mac OS X on other 15 gig partition.
The Yellow Dog Linux is based (I think) on the 2.1 Kernel and is on
it's own dedicated 30 gig HD. YDL works great....I just need to know
how to get from one to the other from the Mac side.

Any help you can provide will be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Mr. Kelly Townsend

2. EmbeddedWatch.com weekly newsletter

3. tri-boot Mac OS X / Linux / Mac OS 9

4. hpdj710c

5. YDL 2.0 Boot Problem on Pismo

6. Compiling kernel failed

7. DGE 500T driver hangs the system - YDL 2.0 on MAC G4 -

8. Sol 2.2 load average runs up every 15 min

9. MAC OS 9, MAC OS X and linuxppc 2000

10. iMac open firmware problems and yaboot - YDL

11. Printer for imac partitioned for YDL 2.1 and Mac OS 9

12. YDL and Mac OS X

13. Upgrade from Linuxppc 1999 with OS 8.6 to OS 9 and YDL 1.2: Problems!