USB contour mouse?

Post by ace » Sun, 20 Feb 2000 04:00:00

i have a pci usb card and i cant get the usb contour unimouse to work at all
in lppc, i am using the 2.2.13 kernel, which does recognize the usb mouse
when it boots but but i cant get it work work once X starts up, any ideas?

USB contour mouse?

Post by Greg » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> i have a pci usb card and i cant get the usb contour unimouse to work at
all
> in lppc, i am using the 2.2.13 kernel, which does recognize the usb mouse
> when it boots but but i cant get it work work once X starts up, any
ideas?

Put this in /etc/X11/XF86Config

replace /dev/usb/usbmouse0 with what ever the device name was
Omit the ZAxisMapping 5 4 if you dont have a wheel mouse.
Section "Xinput"
        SubSection "Mouse"
                Protocol "IMPS/2"
                Port "/dev/usb/usbmouse0"
                ZAxisMapping 5 4
                AlwaysCore
        EndSubsection
EndSection

PS if you get the port wrong you wont be able load X. So be able to take it
out without X.

1. making a Contour USB Perfit mouse work with Linux

I just wanted to take a moment and scribble down these notes, since I'm sure
others have encountered the same problems.  I'd sent an earlier copy of this,
but that was missing a crucial part (the insmod of mousedev).  Thus this
revised copy is being sent in its place.  I think this information would be a
great addition to the www.contourdesign.com/perfit_linux.htm page, which at
the moment only talks about the PS/2 and Serial uses of the Perfit.

The goal has been to make my Contour Perfit USB mouse (model UP-L-R) work with
my Linux system.  The laptop is a Toshiba Portege 3200, and it's running a
very-updated version of RedHat 6.1.  (By now it's somewhere between RedHat 6.2
and 7.0, I imagine.)  It's running a 2.2.16 kernel, with the USB patch named
         usb-2.4.0-test2-pre2-for-2.2.16
from the Linux-USB group at
         http://www.suse.cz/development/usb-backport/
         http://www.linux-usb.org

(I've started to try out 2.2.18, but have stuck to 2.2.16 due to the system
freezing while loading up serial_cb for my Xircom 10/100 PCMCIA ethernet card.
  Long story; suffice it to stay, I'm not investing a lot of time into that yet.)

Anyway, I got my mouse to work by doing these commands:

                 insmod usbcore
                 insmod usb-uhci
                 insmod input
                 insmod usbmouse
                insmod mousedev

My kernel build was configured to have

CONFIG_USB=m
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI=m
CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=m

(actually most of the CONFIG_USB_* stuff is set to be a module)

I then created /dev/usbmouse with:
                 mknod /dev/usbmouse c 13 32
It uses major device 13 based on the result of doing a cat of /proc/devices,
which listed
                 13 input

Anyway, after doing that on my non-X console screen, I then did

         gpm -k
         gpm -t ps2 -m /dev/usbmouse

and it worked!  I changed the /dev/mouse symlink to point at `usbmouse', and
with the XF86Config file containing

Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier  "PS2"
      Driver      "mouse"
      Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
      Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

running X (version 4.0.1) seems perfectly happy.  Now to make all of that
insmod'ing more automatic.

You don't want to know how long it took to find this correct sequence of
events. :)  In retrospect it sure seems obvious, but...

2. Warning.

3. making a Contour Perfit USB mouse work under Linux

4. Asus P2B-DS & 3.0-RELEASE: Will it work?

5. Contour Perfit USB mouse support

6. Problem with Hostname changing to IP Address

7. Contour mouse/Xfree problems

8. POP-3 server not working

9. compiling new [Contour Mouse] driver into LinuxPPC

10. Contour Mouse?

11. Q: Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical USB & PS/2 Compatible + USB = problem

12. SuSE on Mac/Help with configuring Laserprinter, USB ports and USB mouse

13. Apple USB mouse w/Orange Micro PCI USB/Firewire card wont work!