Richard Stallman was at my University!

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Just in case anybody was interested, I met RMS yesterday.

He helt a speech at my university (http://www.fu-berlin.de) about the
GNU philosophy (esentially the same things as in earlier speeches as
published on the GNU website).

Several students (myself included) also had the chances to talk to him
later on.

It was fun. RMS is a surprisingly funny person, not even considering
that he didn't were shoes during the lecture...

Good nite.

(I will probably publish an article about this on 32BitsOnline this
weekend.)

--
Fan of Woody Allen
User of MacOS, BeOS, LinuxPPC

Richard Stallman was at my University!

Post by Andrew Thomas LAMPE » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Just in case anybody was interested, I met RMS yesterday.
>He helt a speech at my university (http://www.fu-berlin.de) about the
>GNU philosophy (esentially the same things as in earlier speeches as
>published on the GNU website).

He was also here in Melbourne, Australia earlier this year. A very interesting
person with very strong views on free software and the ethics of those who
don't agree with him :-)

Quote:>Several students (myself included) also had the chances to talk to him
>later on.

Likewise. I very much liked his habit (in the three times I've seen him speak),
of making himself very accessible after his presentation.

Quote:>It was fun. RMS is a surprisingly funny person, not even considering
>that he didn't were shoes during the lecture...

hehe ... He did this at Melbourne Uni too! Off with the shoes and socks while
he was talking, then he started picking at his toe nails (ugh.). I think he
will be remembered for that, here, for quite a few years to come!!

Andy

--
-----------

Richard Stallman was at my University!

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> >Just in case anybody was interested, I met RMS yesterday.

> >He helt a speech at my university (http://www.fu-berlin.de) about the GNU
> >philosophy (esentially the same things as in earlier speeches as
> >published on the GNU website).

> He was also here in Melbourne, Australia earlier this year. A very
> interesting person with very strong views on free software and the ethics
> of those who don't agree with him :-)

Certainly. But then again, he has his point.

Quote:> >Several students (myself included) also had the chances to talk to him
> >later on.

> Likewise. I very much liked his habit (in the three times I've seen him
> speak), of making himself very accessible after his presentation.

Yes. And he _really_ likes folk music... especially Indonesian and
Armenian...

Quote:> >It was fun. RMS is a surprisingly funny person, not even considering that
> >he didn't were shoes during the lecture...

> hehe ... He did this at Melbourne Uni too! Off with the shoes and socks
> while he was talking, then he started picking at his toe nails (ugh.). I
> think he will be remembered for that, here, for quite a few years to
> come!!

Here he was checking his beard for little things he seemed to have
forgotten in it. I don't think anybody else could have gotten through
with that! :-)