Ethernet card on G3

Post by Dario Lamp » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Dear LinuxPPC gurus,

I installed linuxPPC version 5 on my Power Macintosh G3 266 MHz
(Machine ID 510, "old" gray G3), and I choosed the LinuxPPC Standard
kernel in the BootLinuxPPC panel.
I am stuck trying to setup netconfig.
Everything is fine (IP address, netmask, gateway, nameserver, etc.,
thanks to the help of my sysadm), but...
I don't know which "module" I should select in eth0, to use the
ethernet card installed on my mac.
I don't know which kind of ethernetcard is installed (and I don't know
how to find out, nothing is reported in the mac manual, other than
having an ethernet 10base-T port with a RJ-45 jack), ecc.) in my G3;
when linux boots, I can read in the messages scrolling on the screen,
that eth0 "recognizes" a BMAC module, but this module doesn't show up
in the popup list in netconfig, and nothing referring to "bmac" is
present in the documentation.
Does anybody know which "module" to use, with the G3 I have?
...or how to find out which ethernet card I have?
Am I using the right kernel?

Please, don't get angry if the question looks silly: those are my first
steps with linux...

Thanks a lot in advance for your help/suggestions.

D.

Ethernet card on G3

Post by Bria » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Dario,
I cannot remember as I am now using DebianPPC, but I think the BMAC
card's drivers are built into the kernel instead of being a "module".
Anyhow, I never had to explicitly load the "module".  I don't think that
you have to load one.  Especially if the kernel already has recognized
it on boot.  Is the card/network not working?

try:

cat /proc/modules

to see which ones are loaded.

and

cat /proc/interrupts

to show what interrupts (and thus maybe the card type/name) the card is
using.

Hope that helps

-Brian

--
Brian Rectanus

> Dear LinuxPPC gurus,

> I installed linuxPPC version 5 on my Power Macintosh G3 266 MHz
> (Machine ID 510, "old" gray G3), and I choosed the LinuxPPC Standard
> kernel in the BootLinuxPPC panel.
> I am stuck trying to setup netconfig.
> Everything is fine (IP address, netmask, gateway, nameserver, etc.,
> thanks to the help of my sysadm), but...
> I don't know which "module" I should select in eth0, to use the
> ethernet card installed on my mac.
> I don't know which kind of ethernetcard is installed (and I don't know
> how to find out, nothing is reported in the mac manual, other than
> having an ethernet 10base-T port with a RJ-45 jack), ecc.) in my G3;
> when linux boots, I can read in the messages scrolling on the screen,
> that eth0 "recognizes" a BMAC module, but this module doesn't show up
> in the popup list in netconfig, and nothing referring to "bmac" is
> present in the documentation.
> Does anybody know which "module" to use, with the G3 I have?
> ...or how to find out which ethernet card I have?
> Am I using the right kernel?

> Please, don't get angry if the question looks silly: those are my first
> steps with linux...

> Thanks a lot in advance for your help/suggestions.

> D.

1. pci ethernet card - linuxppc G3

Hi-

I have a PCI Linksys EtherFast 10/100 lan card. I have read that this is a
Tulip card, and am wondering if it will work in the PCI slot of my old G3
desktop. I have R5. Has anyone successfully set up and configured a 3rd
party card to work with linuxppc?

The reason I am doing this is because the ethernet built into the
motherboard of the machine doesn't light up the port of the 100Base T hub I
have. Installing the card in the G3 and starting the machine does light up
the hub. Since I have this card available, I would like to try using this
instead of the built-in one. Does anyone know if this will work?

Thanks,
Ben

2. Computer Science Education

3. Startech 10baseT Ethernet Card on G3

4. FAS driver - where can I find it?

5. G3 Processor Upgrade Card Crescendo G3/L2 1M

6. disk failure ??

7. OT: Are Cardbus Fast Ethernet cards REALLY FASTER than PCMCIA Fast Ethernet cards

8. Linux on G4/AGP : NOT !

9. 3COM ethernet card and NE2000 ethernet card

10. PCMCIA Ethernet Card Driver Problem - SMC EZ Card 10/100 PC Card

11. MkLinux, G3, Cable Modem/Ethernet?

12. G3 Ethernet MkLinux DR3

13. G3 MkLinux Ethernet Problems