Replacing disk drive in Powermac

Post by donotwriteh.. » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:35:50

I have a few 7xxx powermacs, and one (a 7300/180) has a dud disk drive.
mke2fsck -c -c doesn't overcome the errors, so I took the drive
(assembly) from a 7200/120 and installed it in the 7300/180.

The 7300/180 now doesn't boot, doesn't turn on the screen.

WHat is the proper way to replace the drive, and can I do it without
MacOS.

Thus far I've been deleting /dev/sda5 and higher (6 and up on one), not
knowing what all those partitions are for.

I've scoured the net for ways to boot this thing to no avail.

I presume I should put the first drive back and copy stuff to the
second, but what and with what?

I'm using Debian/Woody.

--

On no account mail to my posting address.

Post by Andrew Rutherfor » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:54:01

> I have a few 7xxx powermacs, and one (a 7300/180) has a dud disk drive.
> mke2fsck -c -c doesn't overcome the errors, so I took the drive
> (assembly) from a 7200/120 and installed it in the 7300/180.

> The 7300/180 now doesn't boot, doesn't turn on the screen.

> WHat is the proper way to replace the drive, and can I do it without
> MacOS.

> Thus far I've been deleting /dev/sda5 and higher (6 and up on one), not
> knowing what all those partitions are for.

> I've scoured the net for ways to boot this thing to no avail.

> I presume I should put the first drive back and copy stuff to the
> second, but what and with what?

> I'm using Debian/Woody.

I just installed Deb/Woody on a 7200, which I think is the same
architecture as the 7300, without benefit of Mac OS. With the 7200 at
least, the OpenFirmware output is to the modem port, which you can
read with a terminal, or via a printer cable and Zterm on another one
of your Macs, that's why you get the blank screen. I found as I was
trying to get it to work that you could force a Mac boot by zapping
the PRAM, boot with the Debian installation floppies, mount the system
and use that as a rescue system by control-option-F2 to get a shell
(the partitions are mounted at target). You use sbin/nvsetenv to set
the openfirmware stuff. Google tuxppc and 7200 installation to find a
good article on the settings, especially the boot-command work around
to get the disc spinning.

--
Andrew Rutherford

Post by Mykroft Holmes I » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 13:00:03

> I just installed Deb/Woody on a 7200, which I think is the same
> architecture as the 7300, without benefit of Mac OS. With the 7200 at
> least, the OpenFirmware output is to the modem port, which you can
> read with a terminal, or via a printer cable and Zterm on another one
> of your Macs, that's why you get the blank screen. I found as I was
> trying to get it to work that you could force a Mac boot by zapping
> the PRAM, boot with the Debian installation floppies, mount the system
> and use that as a rescue system by control-option-F2 to get a shell
> (the partitions are mounted at target). You use sbin/nvsetenv to set
> the openfirmware stuff. Google tuxppc and 7200 installation to find a
> good article on the settings, especially the boot-command work around
> to get the disc spinning.

The 7200 is a different architecture from the 7300. The 7300 shares the
Nitro architecture with the 7500,7600,8500 and 9500. Since the 7200 is a
PPC601, a linux install for it may not work on another PCI Powermac,
uless its a generic kernel.

Adam

1. Replace SDS mirrored disk drives with larger drives

I'm relatively new to the Sun world and need some help with a task
that I've been given.

We have a Sunfire 280R with two 18gb disk drives, mirrored
(everything) with Solaris Disk Suite.  We're expanding the storage
capacity on the servers by replacing the 18gb drives with 72gb drives.
 I need to know the best / safest way to do this.  I'm not the person
that set up the system initially so I'm not sure how it was done.

Could someone point me in the direction of some documentation that
explains the exact steps necessary to do this?

Thanks.

2. Modem/IR conflicting?

3. How do I REPLACE a disk drive?

4. how to use autoconf & automake?

5. Replacing a faulty hot-pluggable disk drive

6. need help with a script to delete files.

7. How do you replace / disk drive

8. Perl for Win 32, Windows NT 4, Apache 1.3 and CGIs not working

9. Solstice Disk Suite - Replacing a failed disk - Posting only; No response required

10. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

11. Can I Use a big disk to replace a failed disk in VM

12. How to replace a disk in Sun A5000 Disk Array

13. Media error on disk. Should replace the disk ?