Modem speed w/Lite

Post by adje » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi,

>   The install of LinuxPPC-Lite onto my external 2gig Jaz drive went fairly
> smoothly.

> One problem... I have been able to use kppp to connect at 53300bps when
> logged in as root. When logged in as any other user, the same settings in
> kppp only connect at 9600. I've linked /dev/modem to /dev/cua0 and made the
> latter read-write for all users. Now I'm stumped (which is not surprising as
> I'm making things up as I go along).

HOW did you get the KDE login screen.
I installed Lite but cannot get the Login screen. I get this prompt:bash#
can you help

Modem speed w/Lite

Post by Al Marzia » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Yeah how did you get that far?  I get in the installer and get a Kernal panic
message.

does it always show 9600?

Al

> > Hi,

> >   The install of LinuxPPC-Lite onto my external 2gig Jaz drive went fairly
> > smoothly.

> > One problem... I have been able to use kppp to connect at 53300bps when
> > logged in as root. When logged in as any other user, the same settings in
> > kppp only connect at 9600. I've linked /dev/modem to /dev/cua0 and made the
> > latter read-write for all users. Now I'm stumped (which is not surprising as
> > I'm making things up as I go along).

> HOW did you get the KDE login screen.
> I installed Lite but cannot get the Login screen. I get this prompt:bash#
> can you help

1. Actiontec modem (was Re: Call Waiting Modems / Low Connect Speeds)

[posted and mailed]

[ ... ]

I also had great difficulties at first with my Actiontec call-waiting
modem.

For the first few hours after opening the box, all I could do was get
a connection at V.34 rates.  After a bunch of experimenting, I have
finally managed to get a 56K connect with my provider.  My experiments
lead me to believe there is some mistake in the documentation for
register S109.

I checked in both the printed manual that came in the box, (which,
incidentally is for a DIFFERENT modem, not the model I bought) and the
online version,

        http://www.actiontecsupport.com/files/pm560lkc.pdf

On page 39 (page 40 of the online version), S109 is documented as:

        S109=0          disable all 56K connections
        S109=1          K56flex only, V.90 disabled
        S109=2          V.90 only, K56flex disabled

My provider uses V.90 equipment, so I set S109 to 2.  But I could only
connect at V.34 rates (CONNECT 31200) no matter what I tried. I tried
S109=1 with the same results.

Then, in desperation, I tried S109=0, and bingo!  My connections are
44000, which is what I expected.

I would be VERY interested to know if this is true for other folks as
well.  Do let me know if you can connect at V.90 rates with your
actiontec, and what the S109 setting is.

P.S.  I mailed a similar note to Actiontec on 22 January, and have yet
to hear back from them.  Tried calling their tech support yesterday
but didn't get through, despite the fact that "my call was very
important to them."

-Steve

2. Solaris tips and tricks

3. Modem Connect speed Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2 FAX/Modem??

4. Linux and RAS(Win NT/95) Please help !!

5. Querying modem-to-modem speed of PPP connection.

6. Need term prog

7. modem to modem speeds

8. >> Read this if you're working on an Xconfig !!!!! <<

9. 2 Qs: modem connect speed indication, and mounting file system over modem link

10. Speed..Speed..Speed

11. NAT, Sunscreen 3.1 Lite and Modem Sharing

12. How to tell modem speed

13. Modem Speed - Windows 98 vs. Linux