LinuxPPC and NuBus Macs...

Post by Dennis Muns » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

   I was wondering if anyone has thought about making LinuxPPC work with
the NuBus Macs now that we have BootX?  I haven't personally looked at the
kernel code too in depth to know what may be involved, but I think that
since BootX can work with MkLinux, having BootX feed LinuxPPC the needed
info to work on a NuBus Mac wouldn't be too much effort.

   The reason that I am suggesting this is because of the added speed
benefit of not having the Mach kernel would be kinda nice on the older
boxen.  I am also asking this because I can probally get a G1 ;) Mac
pretty cheap and it would be pretty nice to hack around on it.

dennis

LinuxPPC and NuBus Macs...

Post by Benjamin Herrenschmi » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>    I was wondering if anyone has thought about making LinuxPPC work with
> the NuBus Macs now that we have BootX?  I haven't personally looked at the
> kernel code too in depth to know what may be involved, but I think that
> since BootX can work with MkLinux, having BootX feed LinuxPPC the needed
> info to work on a NuBus Mac wouldn't be too much effort.

>    The reason that I am suggesting this is because of the added speed
> benefit of not having the Mach kernel would be kinda nice on the older
> boxen.  I am also asking this because I can probally get a G1 ;) Mac
> pretty cheap and it would be pretty nice to hack around on it.

It's possible but also a lot of work. NuBus PowerMacs have lots of
design difference, they use older Apple chipsets more like 68k. There
may be some good things to take from the mac68k port of linux.

Mach source code is definitely a good source of infos about the machine,
but lots of things will not be useable "as-is", Mach is quite different
from linux.

There is nothing like the device-tree but there are the NuBus
declaration ROMs. In a first step, it should be possible to make
pre-built device-trees with all the HW infos hand-coded in them, and put
them in the bootloader or in a modified BootX.

I don't have time to work on such a project (and I don't have a NuBus
PowerMac neither) but if anyone is interested in working on this, I will
be glad to provide necessary support in BootX.

--

BenH.      Web   : <http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/>

1. linuxppc on NuBus Mac?

I'd like to run linux on a PowerMac 8100.  The faq-o-matic has a list of
compatibility issues which states that the NuBus Macs are only supported
by mklinux, not by linuxppc.  The linuxppc home page has a more recent
update date, and says "almost all PowerMacs are now supported".  It's not
clear to me whether that is still limited to PCI-bus machines or now
includes NuBus platforms as well.  Anyone know whether it does?  I'd
prefer linuxppc if I can run it.  TIA -Lee

--
Lee Green MD MPH          Disclaimer: My postings are my doing, not
Family Practice           a service of nor in any way the

Delete the Z from my e-mail address, it's just there to foil spambots.

PGP public key on MIT keyserver
Verisign public key available from Verisign, Inc.

2. Help

3. LinuxPPC on NuBus Macs?

4. mmap() ?

5. LinuxPPC and PB1400s (FW: from nubus-LinuxPPC list)

6. printing help needed

7. nubus Kernel in LinuxPPC 2000

8. efm

9. LinuxPPC on NuBus PowerMacs?

10. LinuxPPC on NuBus machines?

11. Porting LinuxPPC to NuBus PowerMacs?

12. Linux-PPC on Nubus Power Mac?

13. MKLInux on NuBus Macs