PowerMac 7200/75 - which linux?

Post by Ed Wurste » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 23:50:03

While I am reading thru old messages here, would like your comments on the
following.

Looking for recommendations and links to install some version of linux on
PowerMac 7200/75. Has 2GB drive and 40MB.

Thank you.

Ed

PowerMac 7200/75 - which linux?

Post by David Brownel » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 06:28:47

Ed:

I've used a Mac 7200/90.

I installed LinuxPPC as the base OS.  That'll get you the Kernel and your
basic binaries.  Maybe even X (don't hold your breath, tho).  the 7200
runs pretty well in text mode.

Yellow Dog Linux has more packages (compilers and such), and I've
installed the packages from that dist to make my system more robust (such
as a 7200 can be!)

Post by Lorenzo P. Thurma » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 12:57:30

> Looking for recommendations and links to install some version of linux on
> PowerMac 7200/75. Has 2GB drive and 40MB.

You might want to go with an older distro like LinuxPPC 2000 Q4. It's an
older kernel, 2.2.x I believe, and would probably run better than something
more current.
I don't know your circumtances, but for $40, you can add 128mb of RAM to
your 7200. That'll go a long way for you. Also, they have inexpensive HD's.
I think you can get a good sized one for not too much.