A few questions

A few questions

Post by Martin Keega » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00



I have some 7200s I want to install Linux on,
preferably the monolithic kernel variety. I know
very little about Mac hardware and software,
though enough about Linux and networking to
get by with all the other bits.

To avoid zapping the Mac filesystems
on the hard drives, I'd like to use
Linux's NFS-root system - can this be
done when booting LinuxPPC from a floppy?

To what extent do I need to mess about in
OF? Can all the firmware reconfiguration
be done from within MacOS? If I*up
or decide not to go ahead with the installation,
will I need to hook up another Mac to ttya
to set things right?

The Macs in question have PC-style keyboards. Which
are the option and command buttons? The button with
the symbol comprising four loops is obviously one
of them. Which is the other - Control or Alt?

I made a crosscompiler for Sparc Solaris on x86
Linux. Would I be able to make one on either
of these platforms for LinuxPPC?

Is Netscape available for LinuxPPC?

Answers to any of these questions would be helpful.

Mk

 
 
 

A few questions

Post by anthony to » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00



Quote:>To avoid zapping the Mac filesystems
>on the hard drives, I'd like to use
>Linux's NFS-root system - can this be
>done when booting LinuxPPC from a floppy?

Yes.

Quote:>To what extent do I need to mess about in
>OF? Can all the firmware reconfiguration
>be done from within MacOS? If I*up

Bootvars is a macos program that can configure the firmware.

Quote:>or decide not to go ahead with the installation,
>will I need to hook up another Mac to ttya
>to set things right?

It's useful for diagnostics if your system doesn't boot.

Quote:>The Macs in question have PC-style keyboards. Which
>are the option and command buttons? The button with
>the symbol comprising four loops is obviously one
>of them. Which is the other - Control or Alt?

dunno, you can always remap the keyboard to your liking.

Quote:>I made a crosscompiler for Sparc Solaris on x86
>Linux. Would I be able to make one on either
>of these platforms for LinuxPPC?

yes, but I would suggest using the latest egcs snapshot.

Quote:>Is Netscape available for LinuxPPC?

Fortunately, yes.

--
anthony tong -> http://www.veryComputer.com/~atong PGP key avail

 
 
 

A few questions

Post by Martin Keega » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00




> >To avoid zapping the Mac filesystems
> >on the hard drives, I'd like to use
> >Linux's NFS-root system - can this be
> >done when booting LinuxPPC from a floppy?

> Yes.

On closer examination, this is already what I do on our network with the
PC boot floppies.

Will installer.coff require anything on that file system, or should I
just export an empty directory rw and have the installer kernel create
all the subdirs?

Quote:> >To what extent do I need to mess about in
> >OF? Can all the firmware reconfiguration
> >be done from within MacOS? If I*up

> Bootvars is a macos program that can configure the firmware.

It seems that doing Command-Option-P-R has reset something
to do with the ethernet cards in the machines; they weren't
the standard Mac cards. I can't get into TCP/IP config or anything
else useful as MacPrefect requires the (unavailable) network for
authentication and won't let me use floppies.

Can I make a Linux boot floppy with installer.coff on it, or is
there some way of getting round MacPrefect?

Quote:> >or decide not to go ahead with the installation,
> >will I need to hook up another Mac to ttya
> >to set things right?

> It's useful for diagnostics if your system doesn't boot.

What should it look like when it boots up? I'm not sure my
cable works. Should I be able to do the same stuff as I
can on our Sun machines? (ls, printenv, cd, power-off, etc)

Quote:> >I made a crosscompiler for Sparc Solaris on x86
> >Linux. Would I be able to make one on either
> >of these platforms for LinuxPPC?

> yes, but I would suggest using the latest egcs snapshot.

Ok. That's something I'd never have considered doing.

Quote:> >Is Netscape available for LinuxPPC?

> Fortunately, yes.

Great :)

Quote:> anthony tong -> http://www.veryComputer.com/~atong PGP key avail

Thanks,

Mk

 
 
 

A few questions

Post by Remco Pos » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00





> > >To avoid zapping the Mac filesystems
> > >on the hard drives, I'd like to use
> > >Linux's NFS-root system - can this be
> > >done when booting LinuxPPC from a floppy?

> > Yes.

> On closer examination, this is already what I do on our network with the
> PC boot floppies.

> Will installer.coff require anything on that file system, or should I
> just export an empty directory rw and have the installer kernel create
> all the subdirs?

This will do. You could even netboot a 7200, if you like. Then even the
kernel would
be on the NFS server. This would save you a great deal of work when
upgrading the
kernel.

Quote:> > >To what extent do I need to mess about in
> > >OF? Can all the firmware reconfiguration
> > >be done from within MacOS? If I*up

> > Bootvars is a macos program that can configure the firmware.

> It seems that doing Command-Option-P-R has reset something
> to do with the ethernet cards in the machines; they weren't
> the standard Mac cards. I can't get into TCP/IP config or anything
> else useful as MacPrefect requires the (unavailable) network for
> authentication and won't let me use floppies.

hmmm, strange. 7200s have build-in ethernet, why not use that? Don't
know about MacPerfect, so I cannot help you with that.

Quote:> Can I make a Linux boot floppy with installer.coff on it, or is
> there some way of getting round MacPrefect?

Just copy installre.coff onto an empty HFS floppy will do. Then tell OF
to boot from floppy.

Quote:> > >or decide not to go ahead with the installation,
> > >will I need to hook up another Mac to ttya
> > >to set things right?

> > It's useful for diagnostics if your system doesn't boot.

> What should it look like when it boots up? I'm not sure my
> cable works. Should I be able to do the same stuff as I
> can on our Sun machines? (ls, printenv, cd, power-off, etc)

The installer.coff should work perfectly on a 7200, no need to connect
another computer to the tty. I guess the OF commandset on SUN's and
Mac's
should be about the same, I really don't know...

Remco

--
Remco Post is R.S.P.Post<at>student<dot>utwente<dot>nl

 
 
 

A few questions

Post by Martin Keega » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00



> > Will installer.coff require anything on that file system, or should I
> > just export an empty directory rw and have the installer kernel create
> > all the subdirs?

> This will do. You could even netboot a 7200, if you like. Then even the
> kernel would
> be on the NFS server. This would save you a great deal of work when
> upgrading the
> kernel.

Bad news - they won't boot over enet - they don't send out any BOOTP
packets.
More worryingly, OF reports different MAC addresses for /bandit/gc/mace
from
those which showed up on the network when the machines worked.

The machines now don't seem to realise they have ethernet cards - and
our *ed installation of MacPrefect prevents anyone from getting
into
the Control Panel and seeing what's wrong.

Quote:> > It seems that doing Command-Option-P-R has reset something
> > to do with the ethernet cards in the machines; they weren't
> > the standard Mac cards. I can't get into TCP/IP config or anything
> > else useful as MacPrefect requires the (unavailable) network for
> > authentication and won't let me use floppies.

> hmmm, strange. 7200s have build-in ethernet, why not use that? Don't
> know about MacPerfect, so I cannot help you with that.

Because it doesn't work.

Quote:> > Can I make a Linux boot floppy with installer.coff on it, or is
> > there some way of getting round MacPrefect?

> Just copy installre.coff onto an empty HFS floppy will do. Then tell OF
> to boot from floppy.

I erased a floppy, then copied installer.coff to it - I get Read
Timeouts
and unknown Client errors when booting.

Quote:> > > >or decide not to go ahead with the installation,
> > > >will I need to hook up another Mac to ttya
> > > >to set things right?

> > > It's useful for diagnostics if your system doesn't boot.

> > What should it look like when it boots up? I'm not sure my
> > cable works. Should I be able to do the same stuff as I
> > can on our Sun machines? (ls, printenv, cd, power-off, etc)

> The installer.coff should work perfectly on a 7200, no need to connect
> another computer to the tty. I guess the OF commandset on SUN's and
> Mac's
> should be about the same, I really don't know...

It's practically identical, it transpires.

Mk

 
 
 

1. QUESTION: Getting ready to use Linux, but I have a few questions...

        Alright, well first, for anyone who is taking the time for
reading this, Thank You. Even if you can't help me, it is still a good
thing that you try. Anyway, I'm getting ready to install Linux on my
system, mostly out of general frustration bordering on hate for
Windows and Microsoft in general (gotta give 'em points for dumbing
things down for the layman, but I'm not a layman anymore). Yet, as I
have a new computer, I have more than a few issues with doing this.

1)      I have a 8.4 Gig. HD, but it is in Fat16 format, so that
should be okay, right?

2)      With my HD, I can use the program fips to partition it without
having to format it in the process, but the problem I have is that the
drive is split into 4 logical drives, as a result of the 2 Gig limit
on Fat16. So my question is, can I partition a logical drive, and if I
can, how? (and if I can't, then what are my options...?)

3)      Will Debian Linux (and X-Windows) be compatible with my
Diamond FireGL Pro 1000?

Once again, thank you very much for any help that you might give. If I
have, in any way, broken the laws of this group or have annoyed anyone
with this post, I sincerely apologize, as I have not come here before.

2. mount -> ls -> lockup

3. A few questions regarding samba from a samba and windows rookie

4. jsp files not working in new directory under webapps (tomcat)

5. A Few Questions

6. Xdisplay_ultrix

7. A few questions reguarding Linux

8. BASH Questions!!!

9. RH 7 and upgrade of gnome...a few questions

10. Newbie question: how to run a few commands on system start?

11. A few simple shell and scripting questions

12. Solaris/SPARC newbie here, have a few quick questions:

13. A few questions about Linux