Is anyone using wmppp?

Post by Barry Marle » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I am running WindowMaker 0.20.2 under MkLinux DR3 .  I grabbed the new
version of wmppp, compiled it and used it for a few days just as an
indicator of modem activity. I previously set up ppp via RedHat's
netcfg, and have been using UserNet to connect to my isp.  However, I
like the idea of using wmppp as a pppd front-end -- much more elegant
than UserNet, and always available on the dock.  I edited all the wmppp
files and cp'ed them to /etc/ppp, and defined their paths in my
~/.wmppprc.  In wmppp-chat, I placed my relevant information, as well as
the REPORT CARRIER/CONNECT lines.  My old options file(consisting of the
word "lock") was replaced by the new one.  Permissions and ownerships
were changed a la  "Hints for WMPPP."  However, the scripts
are not launched by wmppp's buttons.  The modem speed is reported, the
leds flash, and the graph is drawn.  No connect or carrier information
is reported.  If I disconnect with UserNet, wmppp reports ERROR until I
click its x button. If anyone has had any experience with this dockapp,
I'd love to hear from them.
-b
--
Barry Marler
A218 Life Sciences Bldg.

Is anyone using wmppp?

Post by john s jacobs anders » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>If anyone has had any experience with this dockapp,
>I'd love to hear from them.

It's running fine for me under LinuxPPC R4 (2.1.125 kernal). I don't
recall taking any extraordinary measures to get it to work, but I did have
to dink with it for a bit.

Ah! Looking at my notes, I did have to chmod 4511 /usr/sbin/pppd to get
the thing to work for non-root users. Could this be it?

The only other note I have is this:
"Took 'connect...' *out of wmppp-start, so now it's just '/usr/sbin/pppd'"

If those don't work, drop me a line, and the next time I'm back in Linux,
I'll zip up my configs and mail them to you.

--
john.

1. Is anyone using wmppp?

[...]

2. Hanging up modem

3. can anyone see the error in this script please I am BASHing my head LOL

4. Metro X trouble with RedHat 5

5. Using the PEX5 X module (Has anyone actually ever used it??)

6. NT Security FAQ and things...

7. Anyone used Sun ShowMe video package using Solaris 2.4?

8. Memory Questions

9. wmppp + getmodem speed problem

10. usernet vs. wmppp

11. WMPPP-1.1 released