missing in.telnetd

Post by Arne Nick » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 17:10:35

Hi everybody!
Being a linux newbie I have some trouble getting my telnet and ftp to
run.
I installed Suse 7.1 on a Mac 8200 for internal use only and I can
ping it, Apache (httpd) is up and running and AppleShare (rcatalk) is
fine. But I cannot use telnet and ftp to access this machine (and yes
I know: I should use ssh). tcpdchk claims that in.telnetd is not
available on my harddisk (and in fact it is not in /usr/sbin). I
checked the inetd.conf (which is fine as I can see) but I get a
message like "connection refused by host" even if I do a "telnet
localhost".
So: how can I re-instal that in.telnetd file (maybe with rpm)?
Thanks in advance
Arne

missing in.telnetd

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 23:35:30

On 3 Sep 2001 01:10:35 -0700,

+ fine. But I cannot use telnet and ftp to access this machine (and yes
+ I know: I should use ssh).

+ So: how can I re-instal that in.telnetd file (maybe with rpm)?

Well, if you have to reinstall, maybe you should just use ssh/sshd
(which probably *is* installed) and get used to doing things more
securely than telnet/ftp?

Instead of telnet, use ssh.
Instead of ftp, use scp/sftp.

James
isn't looking good, either.

missing in.telnetd

Post by Griff Miller I » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 03:20:20

> Hi everybody!
> Being a linux newbie I have some trouble getting my telnet and ftp to
> run.
> I installed Suse 7.1 on a Mac 8200 for internal use only and I can
> ping it, Apache (httpd) is up and running and AppleShare (rcatalk) is
> fine. But I cannot use telnet and ftp to access this machine (and yes
> I know: I should use ssh). tcpdchk claims that in.telnetd is not
> available on my harddisk (and in fact it is not in /usr/sbin). I
> checked the inetd.conf (which is fine as I can see) but I get a
> message like "connection refused by host" even if I do a "telnet
> localhost".
> So: how can I re-instal that in.telnetd file (maybe with rpm)?
> Thanks in advance
> Arne

You need these packages:

telnet-server
proftpd

Download them from http://linuxppc.org/software/index/ and install
them with "rpm -ivh <rpmfile>" .

And of course, inetd.conf has to be edited to enable these services. Don't
forget to "HUP" the inetd daemon or reboot after editing inetd.conf .

--
Griff Miller II
Manager of Information Technology

missing in.telnetd

Post by Scott Pogorel » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:32:12

Quote:>> Hi everybody!
>> Being a linux newbie I have some trouble getting my telnet and ftp to
>> run.
>> I installed Suse 7.1 on a Mac 8200 for internal use only and I can
>> ping it, Apache (httpd) is up and running and AppleShare (rcatalk) is
>> fine. But I cannot use telnet and ftp to access this machine (and yes
>> I know: I should use ssh). tcpdchk claims that in.telnetd is not
>> available on my harddisk (and in fact it is not in /usr/sbin). I
>> checked the inetd.conf (which is fine as I can see) but I get a
>> message like "connection refused by host" even if I do a "telnet
>> localhost".
>> So: how can I re-instal that in.telnetd file (maybe with rpm)?
>> Thanks in advance
>> Arne

> You need these packages:

> telnet-server
> proftpd

> Download them from http://linuxppc.org/software/index/ and install
> them with "rpm -ivh <rpmfile>" .

> And of course, inetd.conf has to be edited to enable these services. Don't
> forget to "HUP" the inetd daemon or reboot after editing inetd.conf .

For the record, inetd.conf doesnt exist under RH 7.x or YDL 2.  Once you
install the telnet and ftp packages that you identified, you should run
/usr/sbin/ntsysv to enable those services.  They will create corresponding
files in /etc/xinetd.d to enable telnet and ftp.

Cheers,

Scott

1. missing telnetd header files...

Hello,

I'm trying to build a telnet daemon and am running into problems.  At this
point, I have tried various telnet versions, makefiles, makes, and
architectures.  The errors I get are roughly the same.

"./ext.h",   line 66:  NSLC undeclared, outside of functions
"telnetd.c", line 347: IP_TOS undefined

telnetd.c:438: `TELOPT_TSPEED' undeclared (first use this function)
telnetd.c:439: `TELOPT_XDISPLOC' undeclared (first use this function)
telnetd.c:440: `TELOPT_ENVIRON' undeclared (first use this function)
telnetd.c:747: `TELOPT_NAWS' undeclared (first use this function)
telnetd.c:750: `TELOPT_LFLOW' undeclared (first use this function)
telnetd.c:826: `FIONBIO' undeclared (first use this function)
telnetd.c:1182: `SLC_IP' undeclared (first use this function)
telnetd.c:1200: `SLC_ABORT' undeclared (first use this function)
telnetd.c:1213: `SLC_SUSP' undeclared (first use this function)
telnetd.c:1248: `SLC_EOF' undeclared (first use this function)
make: *** [telnetd.o] Error 1

some things that don't give me any problem are:
 TELOPT_ENCRYPT, TELOPT_<other stuff>
 SLC_AYT

I've grepped through just about every include directory I can think of, and
I can't find anything at all starting with TELOPT or SLC.  It seems like
there's an old and new version of <something> since some of the TELOPT...
and SLC...'s are found.  But I still can't find the directory where the old
(or new?) header files are.

Does anyone know where these things are supposed to be?

Thanks,

---

2. Displaying Actual Connect Speed?

3. /etc/default/telnetd missing ?

4. Implications of PG_locked and reference count in page structures....

5. Telnetd / In.Telnetd

6. how do I redirect all outgoing packets using IPTABLES

7. difference between telnetd and in.telnetd?

8. if you don't like dependency issue after dependancy issue

9. Missing software ... find what I'm missing

10. libpng.so.3 - missing library file missing

11. Missing Librarys / sendmail is missing libgdbm.so.2

12. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins