Error: "rpm exit with 256."

Post by cyberw.. » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have a PowerMac 9600/200 with 256Megs of EDO ram.
All I'm trying to do is install LinuxPPC 2000.
I format using the latest drive setup, just 64 megs swap, and the rest
(4 gigs) as root.  This is a separate hard drive.  (I'm a novice user,
so I don't want multiple directories.)

When I select the different things I want to install, and hit the
install button, I get this:  Error: "rpm exit with 256."  It happens for
each individual file until I have to do a hard restart.

What do I do?  I was able to get it working last time, I'm just
re-installing because I'm moving it to a different Hard Drive.

-*wave

Error: "rpm exit with 256."

Post by Etienne Herlent Macflyincaste » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>When I select the different things I want to install, and hit the
>install button, I get this:  Error: "rpm exit with 256."  It happens for
>each individual file until I have to do a hard restart.

I had the same behavior on my G3/266 until I terminated the SCSI chain
with an *active* terminator. Now, it works fine.

--
Dfenestrons les !
Macintosh, GNU-Linux pour Macintosh http://perso.easynet.fr/~eherlent

Error: "rpm exit with 256."

Post by cyberw.. » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I don't get it.  You mean your SCSI chain was NOT terminated, and then you
DID, and it fixed the problem?  Or there's a difference between an ordinary
terminator and an "*active*" one?
-*wave
P.S.  Thank you very much for the help.

> >When I select the different things I want to install, and hit the
> >install button, I get this:  Error: "rpm exit with 256."  It happens for
> >each individual file until I have to do a hard restart.

> I had the same behavior on my G3/266 until I terminated the SCSI chain
> with an *active* terminator. Now, it works fine.

> --
> Dfenestrons les !
> Macintosh, GNU-Linux pour Macintosh http://www.veryComputer.com/~eherlent
> GNU-Linux Macintosh http://www.veryComputer.com/

Error: "rpm exit with 256."

Post by CLARENCE ROY CARLSO » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Just a quick comment. This same thing happened to me. I used
the install option that allows you to view your installation through a
window, and even with my feeble experience could discern that it wasn't
"seeing" my / partition correctly. Turns out I didn't properly format and
mount my /root and swap as A/UX. I had labeled the partitions but when I
went to the next step, ("select partitions" I think) when I went to mount
/, I left the little format button to the right "out", and instead, to
properly format, I was supposed to push it in. (I have actually met a
couple of folks who had the same problem). Once I actually got my
partition formatted, and made sure I had enough space, I quit seeing the
256 errors.
My $.02 worth.

---
c.r. carlson: philosopher and curmudgeon

Quote:> I have a PowerMac 9600/200 with 256Megs of EDO ram.
> All I'm trying to do is install LinuxPPC 2000.
> I format using the latest drive setup, just 64 megs swap, and the rest
> (4 gigs) as root.  This is a separate hard drive.  (I'm a novice user,
> so I don't want multiple directories.)

> When I select the different things I want to install, and hit the
> install button, I get this:  Error: "rpm exit with 256."  It happens for
> each individual file until I have to do a hard restart.

> What do I do?  I was able to get it working last time, I'm just
> re-installing because I'm moving it to a different Hard Drive.

> -*wave

Error: "rpm exit with 256."

Post by Clarence Carlso » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Trust me, no one is more suprised than I am.......you're welcome.
crcarlson

> THANK YOU SO MUCH!  IT WORKED!
> Newsgroups rock.
> -*wave

> > Just a quick comment. This same thing happened to me. I used
> > the install option that allows you to view your installation through a
> > window, and even with my feeble experience could discern that it wasn't
> > "seeing" my / partition correctly. Turns out I didn't properly format and
> > mount my /root and swap as A/UX. I had labeled the partitions but when I
> > went to the next step, ("select partitions" I think) when I went to mount
> > /, I left the little format button to the right "out", and instead, to
> > properly format, I was supposed to push it in. (I have actually met a
> > couple of folks who had the same problem). Once I actually got my
> > partition formatted, and made sure I had enough space, I quit seeing the
> > 256 errors.
> > My $.02 worth.

> > ---
> > c.r. carlson: philosopher and curmudgeon

Error: "rpm exit with 256."

Post by cyberw.. » Sun, 11 Jun 2000 04:00:00

THANK YOU SO MUCH!  IT WORKED!
Newsgroups rock.
-*wave

> Just a quick comment. This same thing happened to me. I used
> the install option that allows you to view your installation through a
> window, and even with my feeble experience could discern that it wasn't
> "seeing" my / partition correctly. Turns out I didn't properly format and
> mount my /root and swap as A/UX. I had labeled the partitions but when I
> went to the next step, ("select partitions" I think) when I went to mount
> /, I left the little format button to the right "out", and instead, to
> properly format, I was supposed to push it in. (I have actually met a
> couple of folks who had the same problem). Once I actually got my
> partition formatted, and made sure I had enough space, I quit seeing the
> 256 errors.
> My $.02 worth.

> ---
> c.r. carlson: philosopher and curmudgeon

> > I have a PowerMac 9600/200 with 256Megs of EDO ram.
> > All I'm trying to do is install LinuxPPC 2000.
> > I format using the latest drive setup, just 64 megs swap, and the rest
> > (4 gigs) as root.  This is a separate hard drive.  (I'm a novice user,
> > so I don't want multiple directories.)

> > When I select the different things I want to install, and hit the
> > install button, I get this:  Error: "rpm exit with 256."  It happens for
> > each individual file until I have to do a hard restart.

> > What do I do?  I was able to get it working last time, I'm just
> > re-installing because I'm moving it to a different Hard Drive.

> > -*wave

Error: "rpm exit with 256."

Post by Etienne Herlent Macflyincaste » Sun, 11 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I don't get it.  You mean your SCSI chain was NOT terminated, and then you
>DID, and it fixed the problem?  Or there's a difference between an ordinary
>terminator and an "*active*" one?

My SCSI chain was terminated with a passive terminator (in a HP
scanner). No error, with MacOS 8.x, but I was unable to install LinuxPPC
2000, until I remove the scanner and put an active SCSI terminator.