hard disk problem in debian installation

hard disk problem in debian installation

Post by Daniel Degenhard » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 19:32:57

hi,

i'm trying to install debian linux on a very new power mac g4 dual 867 and constantly getting trouble with the ide hard drives. this mac seems to have 3
ide ports: one ATA33 with cd-rw, one ATA66 and one ATA100 with hard drive preinstalled. first i added a secondary drive to the AtA100 port and the
installation didn't recognize any hard drives at all. So, i connected a third drive to the ATA66 port and installation seemed to work ok. But when i
tried to boot the yaboot screen appeared but i wasn't able to make a selection and the computer freezed. Then i had to reset OpenFirmware to be able to
boot MacOsX again.
Any hints what i'm doing wrong?

tia,

daniel.

hard disk problem in debian installation

Post by Adam Bartle » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 20:55:16

Dear Daniel,

A little hard to say off the bat, but which hard-drive did you put the
bootstrap partition on? It's quite possible that the boot-up sequence is
going straight to the MacOS hard-drive and, as there is no bootstrap
partition there, firing straight into MacOS. Also, have you tried booting
with option held down? This will hopefully show you an image for your new
hard-drive with a penguin logo in the corner.

Cheers,

Adam

> hi,

> i'm trying to install debian linux on a very new power mac g4 dual 867 and constantly getting trouble with the ide hard drives. this mac seems to have 3
> ide ports: one ATA33 with cd-rw, one ATA66 and one ATA100 with hard drive preinstalled. first i added a secondary drive to the AtA100 port and the
> installation didn't recognize any hard drives at all. So, i connected a third drive to the ATA66 port and installation seemed to work ok. But when i
> tried to boot the yaboot screen appeared but i wasn't able to make a selection and the computer freezed. Then i had to reset OpenFirmware to be able to
> boot MacOsX again.
> Any hints what i'm doing wrong?

> tia,

> daniel.

hard disk problem in debian installation

Post by Daniel Degenhard » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 23:08:02

Hi Adam,

i'm quite sure that i put the bootstrap partition on the drive connected to the ATA66 port (which is exclusivly dedicated to linux) , which seems to
be the only one recognized by the installation. Yes i've tried booting with option key pressed and got the yaboot screen appearing, but i couldn't
make any choice wether for MacOs nor for Linux (although both icons were shown) and the computer freezed. I had to reset OpenFirmware afterwards to
get (at least) MacOSX starting.

daniel.

> Dear Daniel,

> A little hard to say off the bat, but which hard-drive did you put the
> bootstrap partition on? It's quite possible that the boot-up sequence is
> going straight to the MacOS hard-drive and, as there is no bootstrap
> partition there, firing straight into MacOS. Also, have you tried booting
> with option held down? This will hopefully show you an image for your new
> hard-drive with a penguin logo in the corner.

> Cheers,

> Adam

> > hi,

> > i'm trying to install debian linux on a very new power mac g4 dual 867 and constantly getting trouble with the ide hard drives. this mac seems to
have 3
> > ide ports: one ATA33 with cd-rw, one ATA66 and one ATA100 with hard drive preinstalled. first i added a secondary drive to the AtA100 port and the
> > installation didn't recognize any hard drives at all. So, i connected a third drive to the ATA66 port and installation seemed to work ok. But when
> > tried to boot the yaboot screen appeared but i wasn't able to make a selection and the computer freezed. Then i had to reset OpenFirmware to be
able to
> > boot MacOsX again.
> > Any hints what i'm doing wrong?

> > tia,

> > daniel.

hard disk problem in debian installation

Post by Adam Bartle » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 02:30:15

Dear Daniel,

Ok, as a trick to avoid your having to do the apple-option-p-r thing, you
can boot from a mac cdrom and use the startup desk control panel to select
your macosx disk . This will 'rebless' the MacOS partition for you and
allow you to reboot straight back into it. Now, as for the Linux problems.
Could you get back in to the debian partition through your install cd rom
and see what your /etc/yaboot.conf file says? If you can put a copy of
that up we can hopefully work out what to change for you. (Let's hope
Apple hasn't done something crazy like disable the ATA66 for boot up. I
doubt it, as it is trying to load yaboot, but...) Also, I'm not sure how
you would do it as, naturally enough, my ibook only has one ide controller
for a harddrive, but maybe you can get into Open Firmware and issue a boot
command from there. I know how to do that and specify a partition when
there is only one drive, but I don'y know about specifying the drive, too.
Anybody else know the command there?

Adam

> Hi Adam,

> i'm quite sure that i put the bootstrap partition on the drive connected to the ATA66 port (which is exclusivly dedicated to linux) , which seems to
> be the only one recognized by the installation. Yes i've tried booting with option key pressed and got the yaboot screen appearing, but i couldn't
> make any choice wether for MacOs nor for Linux (although both icons were shown) and the computer freezed. I had to reset OpenFirmware afterwards to
> get (at least) MacOSX starting.

> daniel.

> > Dear Daniel,

> > A little hard to say off the bat, but which hard-drive did you put the
> > bootstrap partition on? It's quite possible that the boot-up sequence is
> > going straight to the MacOS hard-drive and, as there is no bootstrap
> > partition there, firing straight into MacOS. Also, have you tried booting
> > with option held down? This will hopefully show you an image for your new
> > hard-drive with a penguin logo in the corner.

> > Cheers,

> > Adam

> > > hi,

> > > i'm trying to install debian linux on a very new power mac g4 dual 867 and constantly getting trouble with the ide hard drives. this mac seems to
> have 3
> > > ide ports: one ATA33 with cd-rw, one ATA66 and one ATA100 with hard drive preinstalled. first i added a secondary drive to the AtA100 port and the
> > > installation didn't recognize any hard drives at all. So, i connected a third drive to the ATA66 port and installation seemed to work ok. But when
> > > tried to boot the yaboot screen appeared but i wasn't able to make a selection and the computer freezed. Then i had to reset OpenFirmware to be
> able to
> > > boot MacOsX again.
> > > Any hints what i'm doing wrong?

> > > tia,

> > > daniel.

hard disk problem in debian installation

Post by Daniel Degenhard » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 17:51:37

Hi again,

sorry for the delay but i had some problems posting to the news server.
I tried finding yaboot.conf on my hard drive, but wasn't able to detect it, neither in the directory /etc nor anywhere else (i guess i should be
copied somewhere on my hard drive by the installation process). I'm by far no linux/unix expert, so maybe i missed something important during the
installation. Don't know.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Daniel.

> Dear Daniel,

> Ok, as a trick to avoid your having to do the apple-option-p-r thing, you
> can boot from a mac cdrom and use the startup desk control panel to select
> your macosx disk . This will 'rebless' the MacOS partition for you and
> allow you to reboot straight back into it. Now, as for the Linux problems.
> Could you get back in to the debian partition through your install cd rom
> and see what your /etc/yaboot.conf file says? If you can put a copy of
> that up we can hopefully work out what to change for you. (Let's hope
> Apple hasn't done something crazy like disable the ATA66 for boot up. I
> doubt it, as it is trying to load yaboot, but...) Also, I'm not sure how
> you would do it as, naturally enough, my ibook only has one ide controller
> for a harddrive, but maybe you can get into Open Firmware and issue a boot
> command from there. I know how to do that and specify a partition when
> there is only one drive, but I don'y know about specifying the drive, too.
> Anybody else know the command there?

> Adam

hard disk problem in debian installation

Post by Adam Bartle » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 22:12:35

No problem. Funny that you couldn't find it. What normally happens is that
you have entries in the /etc/yaboot.conf file that set all the boot
variables you want (which hard-drive, which frame buffer driver, what
screen resolution, multiple os's and the like). Then one of two things
happen. The debian installer runs either ybin or yaboot (depending on the
version) which puts these settings in the bootstrap partition in the right
format, or you run it directly from the command line. What I'm wondering,
is whether you've got the yaboot stuff in the bootstrap partition, but no
configurations are set. The system runs yaboot, which locks up because
there are no variables set and that's that.

How does that sound to you others? Any thoughts on how to get him underway
from here? Maybe a sample yaboot.conf to try out?

Adam

> Hi again,

> sorry for the delay but i had some problems posting to the news server.
> I tried finding yaboot.conf on my hard drive, but wasn't able to detect it, neither in the directory /etc nor anywhere else (i guess i should be
> copied somewhere on my hard drive by the installation process). I'm by far no linux/unix expert, so maybe i missed something important during the
> installation. Don't know.

> Thanks for your help anyway!

> Daniel.

> > Dear Daniel,

> > Ok, as a trick to avoid your having to do the apple-option-p-r thing, you
> > can boot from a mac cdrom and use the startup desk control panel to select
> > your macosx disk . This will 'rebless' the MacOS partition for you and
> > allow you to reboot straight back into it. Now, as for the Linux problems.
> > Could you get back in to the debian partition through your install cd rom
> > and see what your /etc/yaboot.conf file says? If you can put a copy of
> > that up we can hopefully work out what to change for you. (Let's hope
> > Apple hasn't done something crazy like disable the ATA66 for boot up. I
> > doubt it, as it is trying to load yaboot, but...) Also, I'm not sure how
> > you would do it as, naturally enough, my ibook only has one ide controller
> > for a harddrive, but maybe you can get into Open Firmware and issue a boot
> > command from there. I know how to do that and specify a partition when
> > there is only one drive, but I don'y know about specifying the drive, too.
> > Anybody else know the command there?

> > Adam

hard disk problem in debian installation

Post by Kevi » Wed, 02 Oct 2002 07:44:30

Hey guys,

I am doing the exact same thing right now and ran into the exact same
problems.  After searching through debian's install guide, i
discovered that it does not support ATA100 controllers yet, so that is
why your first two hard drives are not available (from the debian
installer, i assume).  I tried to install debian on a separate
partition and used mac-fdisk to partition my drive as follows

hda1 : apple_partition_table
hda2: bootstrap
hda3: /
hda4: /usr
hda5: swap

But now I am at the point where i press option to choose the OS, but
OS X runs fine, but when i press the linux icon to select it and then
the arrow key to load, the screen flashes, the blurs, and the mouse
moves around and the system is unresponsive.  Did you guys ever
resolve the problem you had earlier?  I thought maybe yaboot was
getting stuck when loading the kernel, but i hardly know enough to
edit that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

> hi,

> i'm trying to install debian linux on a very new power mac g4 dual 867 and constantly getting trouble with the ide hard drives. this mac seems to have 3
> ide ports: one ATA33 with cd-rw, one ATA66 and one ATA100 with hard drive preinstalled. first i added a secondary drive to the AtA100 port and the
> installation didn't recognize any hard drives at all. So, i connected a third drive to the ATA66 port and installation seemed to work ok. But when i
> tried to boot the yaboot screen appeared but i wasn't able to make a selection and the computer freezed. Then i had to reset OpenFirmware to be able to
> boot MacOsX again.
> Any hints what i'm doing wrong?

> tia,

> daniel.

1. Hard disk detection problem in Debian

Hi,
 I'm trying to install Debian Linux 2.1 on an old Pentium 90 with a
western digital hard disk. After getting the boot: prompt from the
rescue diskette, it begins loading Linux but then I get an error about
the hard disks ports already being in use. The exact screen dump is
below:

ide: i82371 PIIX(Triton) on PCI Bus 0 Function 57
        ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1f0-01f7
        hda: ERROR, PORTS ALREADY IN USE

Can someone please let me know how I could get about troubleshooting
this error ? Needless to add, the hard disk does not get detected and so

Thanks
Abhay Gidwani

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. PPP: Static IP won't work on linux on my ISP

3. Hard disk detection Problem in Debian 2.1

4. Which drive has failed (Adaptec 2500S question)?!

5. CDROM to hard disk copy problem in installation

6. Apache SMF not starting

7. Linux installation problem from CD-ROM and Hard Disk

8. xfree4 crash on boot (newbie)

9. hard disk installation problem

10. Installation Problem (2 hard disks with Win95 & FreeBSD)

11. Hard disk installation Problem - Mandrake

12. hard disk installation problem

13. Problem:Redhat Installation on an RLL hard disk