G3 300MT external SCSI boot success!

Post by doit » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

 Hey it worked! Whoo Hoo!

Using Multibooter and the new "Quik 1.3.0 for MacOS" I am now able to
boot consistantly from my external SCSI Drive without a floppy.

 See the announcement for these at:

   http://samba.anu.edu.au/listproc/linux-pmac/current/0954.html

 I think the key for me was to reset the Multibooter configuration by applying
the existing configuration to one of my MacOS volumes (I had altered it
extensively trying to get it to work on other occasions). After doing
this, I restarted Multibooter and applied it to the Open Firmware device
icon in Multibooter.

 My configurations were as follows:

boot-file      /boot/vmlinux root=/dev/sda5
auto-boot      "turned off"

Originally I used the 2.1.103 kernel and I didn't have the boot file
settings quite right so open firmware prompted me and I was able to
set the correct value using:

setenv boot-file /boot/vmlinux root=/dev/sda5
I entered:
   boot

 It booted! Since that success, I replaced that kernel with my own build
of 2.1.24 same result (of course!) it works!!

Post by Joh » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hey it worked! Whoo Hoo!

>Using Multibooter and the new "Quik 1.3.0 for MacOS" I am now able to
>boot consistantly from my external SCSI Drive without a floppy.

> See the announcement for these at:

>   http://samba.anu.edu.au/listproc/linux-pmac/current/0954.html

> I think the key for me was to reset the Multibooter configuration by applying
>the existing configuration to one of my MacOS volumes (I had altered it
>extensively trying to get it to work on other occasions). After doing
>this, I restarted Multibooter and applied it to the Open Firmware device
>icon in Multibooter.

> My configurations were as follows:

>boot-file      /boot/vmlinux root=/dev/sda5
>auto-boot      "turned off"

>Originally I used the 2.1.103 kernel and I didn't have the boot file
>settings quite right so open firmware prompted me and I was able to
>set the correct value using:

>setenv boot-file /boot/vmlinux root=/dev/sda5
>I entered:
>   boot

> It booted! Since that success, I replaced that kernel with my own build
>of 2.1.24 same result (of course!) it works!!

Could someone elaborate a bit on what precisely is required to boot successfully
from an external scsi device.  I did an install via ftp on my G3/266 DT onto a

try to boot I get:

That is really the location of the SCSI drive (I see the busy light go on).  Any
tips on where to go from here?  I have quik-1.3 but am not sure how to use it.
I haven't done anything with multibooter at all to date.

A note on the current g3installer.coff file-- I have dual monitors, one using
internal video another running off a xclaim vr (rage pro) card.  I was unable
to boot from the floppy until I unplugged my xclaim card.
--
John McNamara

G3 300MT external SCSI boot success!

Post by Jack Howar » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

You will most certainly require Multibooter 1.0d13 patches to get
either scsi or ide booting working. However because of a remaining
flaw in the 'catch' mechanism in this implementation of OpenFirmware
one needs an addtional patch beyond Apple's. Harry Eaton has provided
such a solution of ftp.linuxppc.org in /pub/users/harry as fixg3.tgz.
It comes with a detailed readme file and you can also fined a faq
entry I made on the faq-o-matic. Look for the answer "How do I boot
LinuxPmac on my G3?".