gdm problem on linuxppc

Post by Daniel Du » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:17:57

I'm trying to run LinuxPPC Q4 2000 on my Powerbook 3400c.  After installing, X
won't start and I assume this is just because my XF86Config isn't right.

However, I have trouble editing it because I keep getting a console message
"gdm.pid says that gdm was running, but was unexpectedly *ed."  While this
is happening, the X process is also continuously restarting, and the console
keeps flicking to the black X server screen, and then back to the console window
I was in.  the GDM process and the X processes will not kill and keep respawning
themselves on new PIDs.   I don't even want GDM, as I want to run KDE and login
from the console.

Any suggestions on how I can temporarily stop X and gdm (to uninstall it)  in
order to fix my X config files would be greatly appreciated!  It's driving me
nuts!

My system is:

Powerbook 3400c
80 MB RAM
1GB apple hard disk
kernel 2.4.10 ppc  via BootX (I find that this kernel is more stable than the
LinuxPPC Q4 2000 supplied 2.2 kernel)

From Daniel
==================================

ICQ#  75924725
==================================

Bill Gates is in his heaven, all's right with my PC.

gdm problem on linuxppc

Post by Daniel Du » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:55:57

FOLLOW UP:
w00t!

Fixed it!   If anyone has any X11 on Pb3400 questions, let me know.

>I'm trying to run LinuxPPC Q4 2000 on my Powerbook 3400c.  After installing, X
>won't start and I assume this is just because my XF86Config isn't right.

>However, I have trouble editing it because I keep getting a console message
>"gdm.pid says that gdm was running, but was unexpectedly *ed."  While this
>is happening, the X process is also continuously restarting, and the console
>keeps flicking to the black X server screen, and then back to the console window
>I was in.  the GDM process and the X processes will not kill and keep respawning
>themselves on new PIDs.   I don't even want GDM, as I want to run KDE and login
>from the console.

>Any suggestions on how I can temporarily stop X and gdm (to uninstall it)  in
>order to fix my X config files would be greatly appreciated!  It's driving me
>nuts!

>My system is:

>Powerbook 3400c
>80 MB RAM
>1GB apple hard disk
>kernel 2.4.10 ppc  via BootX (I find that this kernel is more stable than the
>LinuxPPC Q4 2000 supplied 2.2 kernel)

>From Daniel
>==================================

>ICQ#  75924725
>==================================

>Bill Gates is in his heaven, all's right with my PC.

==================================

ICQ#  75924725
==================================

Bill Gates is in his heaven, all's right with my PC.

1. LinuxPPC on a Motorola powerstack / gdm

Hi,

I've installed linuxPPC on a motorola powerstack mor or less
successfully, but I've now got the following errors:

"
According to /var/run/gdm.pid, gdm was already running but seems to
have been murdered mysteriously.

Init: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
"

I assume that this is something to do with X server, but I don't know
what to do.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Nick

2. modules missing

3. LinuxPPC: gdm mysteriously murdered

4. install from NFS image hangs? Pl. help!

5. restarting gdm after changing gdm.conf

6. ? pkg preinstall does not inherit env ?

7. gdm_config_parse : Can't find the gdm group (gdm) Aborting!

8. TTY relationship to users

9. Full LinuxPPC 2000 at ftp.linuxppc.org ??

10. LinuxPPC vs. LinuxPPC Lite

11. LinuxPPC and PB1400s (FW: from nubus-LinuxPPC list)

12. problem with pam and gdm

13. Simultaneous problems with su, gdm, and xfs