Newsreaders for Linux.

Post by Alexandre A. S » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

   I would like to know what's the best newsreader for Linux(PPC). I am very
familiar with MacOS' MT-Newswatcher, and I actually think it's the best
newsreader out there. Is there anything similar for Linux?
   I apreciate suggestions with relevant URLs...
   Thanks!

--
cheers!

visit the progrock mp3 listening booth      http://sites.uol.com.br/asiufy
Protect privacy, boycott Intel: http://www.bigbrotherinside.org

Newsreaders for Linux.

Post by Ric » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,

>    I would like to know what's the best newsreader for Linux(PPC). I am very
> familiar with MacOS' MT-Newswatcher, and I actually think it's the best
> newsreader out there. Is there anything similar for Linux?
>    I apreciate suggestions with relevant URLs...
>    Thanks!

KDE comes with a GUI newsreader, and it also supposedly allows offline
reading.

Newsreaders for Linux.

Post by Georg Bau » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>    News: something Newswatcherish would be fine. Separate servers is a

knews. Ok, it's definitely nothing compareable to MT-Newswatcher, but at
least it is bearable. It has most of the features of MT-Newswatcher, except
the scoring (but it does have kill-files and coloring).

If you accept non-GUI, you can go with slrn. It's a bit weird to use, but
it's not that bad after you get used to it.

Quote:>    Mail: I'm personally fond of Eudora Lite, but there are other possible

TkRat or Postilion. Postilion has the advantage of the integrated
spell-checker, but TkRat is (IMO) nicer to look at. YMMV. Both support the
usual stuff (POP3, local mbox, mh, IMAP4) and quite some nice features like
PGP-support, a local database for fast retrival, MIME and some more goodies.

If you accept non-GUI, go for mutt. It's a bit arcane to use, but very
powerfull and featurefull after you get used to it.

Quote:>    Texteditor: something like Simpletext would be awesome but probably too

nedit, xcoral. Both are quite easy to use, but still powerfull. xc*
always reminds me of Alpha, while nedit reminds me of BBEdit. xc*is
structured like Alpha, with modes and macro-languages and stuff. nedit is
more static in it's featureset.

Oh, my favorite editor under Unix still is vim ;-)

Can you tell that I did a lot of searching for useable programs under X
after switching my Mac to linux?

bye, Georg

1. nn newsreader for linux-- does it exist?

Yes, I know nn is an old newsreader, but it is what I am used to running
on a Sun Sparc workstation. HOwever I would like to retire that
workstation, but also do not want to waste a lot of time learning a new
newsreader. I like nn because I can do a script to just read the news
groups I want and my  very brief attempts at others were totally
unsatisfactory (they assumened I wanted to read all 579326 newsgroups
unless I opted out of each one idividually, a stupid model).
Anyway, does nn exist for Linux?

2. test

3. Newsreader in Linux ?

4. SNMP Management software

5. newsreader for linux

6. Connect to X server

7. Good Newsreader in Linux

8. Old Centos SCSI problems

9. NN or NN-style newsreader for Linux w/out local NNTP database??

10. QWK newsreader for Linux

11. Off-Line Newsreader for Linux:

12. newsreader for linux

13. Newsreader for Linux