CD won't work, system won't reboot...please help

Post by \\ndk » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Okay, I got LinuxPPC 5 to work, mostly, but now I have two new problems:

> 1)  The system refuses to recognize the CD-ROM drive.  It keeps asking
> me if I have permission.  Seeing as how I'm logged in as root, I can't
> figure out why it would ask this.  What can I do to make it recognize
> the CD-ROM drive?

> 2)  I can't reboot or shutdown the system.  The machine always hangs
> when I try.

> How can I fix these things?

> --
> "Its origin and purpose...still a total mystery."
>  - Dr. Heywood Floyd, "2001:  A Space Odyssey"

Are you talking about the installer not initialising your cdrom, or the
system* when you try to mount the cdrom? Which machine are you
using?

Nicolas Krinis

Post by ndk » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I'm talking about the system not even *recognizing* that the CD-ROM is
> there.

If I understand correctly, you expect the cdrom to mount automatically
on your desktop as in the MacOS, which it doesn't.
As root, type: mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom. Have you tried
this yet?
If the cdrom was initialised during startup, there should be no problem
in mounting it.

Quote:>Not the installer (that ran just fine) but when I use the Linux
> that I've just installed, it won't see the CD at all.  When I boot
> Linux, and all that text is scrolling past, I see that it is
> recognizing the CD drive.  But when I try to *use* Linux, it won't see
> the CD.

> I'm using a PowerMac G3 (beige) desktop.

As a tip (and I learned this from experience), try to describe problems
you're having in a more precise fashion :->
If you need any more help, don't hesitate to email me..

Nicolas Krinis

CD won't work, system won't reboot...please help

Post by s.a. » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

here's what you should do--> man shutdown

and also if your try-ing to play an audio cd you shouldn't mount it
because you'll get an error that says domething like--> too many mounted
filesystems, wrong fs type, invalid permisions,
that was from memory so It probably sais something different, and if
linux doesent recognize that you cdplayer exists mabey its not in your
path or mabey you didnt install a cdplayer.

Post by Jason Haa » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > If the cdrom was initialised during startup, there should be no problem
> > in mounting it.

> Unfortunately, it didn't work.  I got this error message --

> mount:  special device /dev/cdrom does not exist

That's a known issue that has a fix.  A newer version of the installer
will automatically link the CDROM drive, which it unfortunately didn't
in the original installer.  I'll have more details on this a bit later.

You can link it manually, if you know the drive's hardware address.

Post by ndk » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > > I'm talking about the system not even *recognizing* that the CD-ROM is
> > > there.

> > If I understand correctly, you expect the cdrom to mount automatically
> > on your desktop as in the MacOS, which it doesn't.

> No, I never expected that.  But when I run something like the CD
> Player, it won't recognize that the CD player even exists.  I never had
> this problem with LinuxPPC 4.1...

I thought you were unable to mount the CDROM

Nicolas Krinis

1. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!

Hello all,

I went through the Sound howto files, I tried to make the AWE32 PNP
work via the /etc/rc.d/rc.modules (auto detect for IRQ 5 DMA1 and 5)
I tried to compile my kernel for the AWE32 PNP sound blaster but the
message I receive while compiling is:
sb_common.c:21: #error You will need to configure the sound driver
with
CONFIG_AUDIO option.
sb_common.c:266: warning: `sb16_set_mpu_port' defined but not used
make[2]: *** [sb_common.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [sub_dirs] Error 2
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

Any suggestions/solutions. There seems to be no way of dactivating
the mpu interface with the make config option. Nor I do not now how to
enable it or disable it on the soundcard.

Thanks for your  replies!!!!!!!!

2. Require Assistant..

3. m80 will 'boot' but won't 'reboot'

4. BE: BXL : SUN/SOLARIS network/system administrator

5. PLEASE help: x-win won't let me use keyboard

6. Sec. Vulnerability in SNMP (rev. 2)

7. HELP: pppd won't talk to modem, and won't link up with ISP

8. Permissions

9. HP 7200i CD-Writer won't work on one system, will in another!

10. 'make' won't work w/o '-f Makefile', which sucks.

11. Help with shell script; 'tput clear' won't work!?!

12. Toshiba CD won't run, please help

13. Please help - Creative Labs CD-620E won't mount