MkLinux DR3 can't start X

Post by mar.. » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I just installed DR3 (I had been running 2.1) without a hitch, but
now, when I issue the command "startx", I get a message that it can't
locate xinit.  It says it's looking for appropriate X-servers, then
after a few seconds says there are none.  I added the absolute path to
the directory that contains the startx executable and xinit to the
PATH line in .bash_profile.

I'd appreciate any advice.

-barry

1. MKLinux DR3 won't boot on 7200

I have a problem with the initial boot/install of DR3 on my 7200/90.
Looking at some arlier postings the symptoms are sort of similar:

Drag the Mac files into place, reboot, choose MKLinux at the splash
screen, get two boot meassages, then "mem_size = 168M" then .... nothing.

I have a fairly standard setup: scsi cd-rom on id 3, internal scsi disk on
0, external on 1 (where I'm trying to install if I get that far).
lilo.conf points to /dev/scd0 but I can see no CD activity during the boot
sequence.

Based on other postings I'm suspicious of:
1. Memory size too big ?? (168Mb) - Anyone successfully installed on >128?
2. My PCI Video card - a Formac Provision 4/60 - How does MKLinux handle this?

Short of ripping out my installed memory or video, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2. how to check if /etc/hosts.deny really works ?

3. MkLinux DR3 - got the partitions, can't boot off CD-ROM

4. converting Xenix to DOS

5. Can't install MkLinux pre-DR3 on a Power Mac 9500/G3 266

6. smbfs-like

7. MKLinux DR3 won't boot on 7200

8. Linux Terminal Server

9. MkLinux DR3 won't install on my Pmac 8600

10. Can't find bootstrap.conf after mklinux DR3 installation

11. Help! Can't install MkLinux DR3...

12. Why Won't MkLinux DR3 Install on My Machine?

13. Sound doesn't work in MkLinux pre-DR3 on G3?