Creating A/UX Partitions Within Mac OS

Post by Louis Kowolowsk » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

i'd recomend either drive setup or pdisk, both work fine, and you can
use drivesetup after pdisk to update for os8.5 if you like.
i don't remember if you actually have to format the partitions or not
before you run the installer, you should check on that, if not, just use
drivesetup to create all your partitions, then install your stuff.
: )

..In a world of hairdressers and rednecks talking
about how cool their AOL accounts are, its good to
know that I know UNIX. When upper management says
we need to create an action item to delegate
invasive marketing tasks, its good to know that I
know UNIX. In a world where an admin is rendered
useless when the ball in his mouse has been taken
out, its good to know that I know UNIX.  UNIX is
SuperBad.

toaster.sun4c.net != upt.org

Creating A/UX Partitions Within Mac OS

Post by Carl Hirsc » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I'm looking for some input on getting ready to install LinuxPPC on my
machine.

Right now I'm running a 13 gig WD IDE drive, divided into 8 partitions.
Five of these partitions are Mac OS standard (HFS), earmarked for
LinuxPPC. The other three are for the Mac OS, with one of the partitions
being extended format (HFS+).

I was under the impression that the Anubis utility or FWB's Hard Drive
toolkit could convert Mac OS partitions to A/UX, but neither of them
seem to like the driver I've got on these partitions. I get dialog boxes
that say that the driver needs to be updated before the partition can be
worked with. The partitions were initialized and created with the most
recent version of Drive Setup.

Should I just wait until I get my LinuxPPC CD and use fdisk, or do I
have other options available to me?

thanks much,
-carl

Post by user.. » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I'm looking for some input on getting ready to install LinuxPPC on my
> machine.

> Right now I'm running a 13 gig WD IDE drive, divided into 8 partitions.
> Five of these partitions are Mac OS standard (HFS), earmarked for
> LinuxPPC. The other three are for the Mac OS, with one of the partitions
> being extended format (HFS+).

> I was under the impression that the Anubis utility or FWB's Hard Drive
> toolkit could convert Mac OS partitions to A/UX, but neither of them
> seem to like the driver I've got on these partitions. I get dialog boxes
> that say that the driver needs to be updated before the partition can be
> worked with. The partitions were initialized and created with the most
> recent version of Drive Setup.

> Should I just wait until I get my LinuxPPC CD and use fdisk, or do I
> have other options available to me?

> thanks much,
> -carl

Hi Carl,

I would recommend using pdisk when you get your CD. Once you have
partitioned your drive with HFS or HFS+ partitions for the Macintosh, and
the remaining space is free or just empty, formatted space, boot from the
CD and it should prompt you to set up the disk configuration with pdisk
(regardless of what you have done before.)

Within pdisk you will see the HFS partitions and free space. Now you can
select the option to create partition, specifying the type. You have to
give pdisk the starting block and the length of the partition. The type of
disk has to be APPLE_UNIX_SVR2

Good Luck!!!!

Louis