Problems using ATI card with 7200 and LinuxPPC

Post by Jason Plac » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I recently installed LinuxPPC 98 on my 7200, and all went quite well...
> except for one thing:

> My ATI XClaimVR doesn't seem to be recognized during boot...

Hi Jocelyn,

I had the *exact* same situation as you.  You must recompile your kernel and
make sure that you don't include the "platinum" video but do include the ATI
video.

to make the kernel, go into the top-level dir where the Makefile is and type
"make config" or "make menuconfig"

after that, type just "make"

that will compile the kernel.. put the kernel where it needs to go (mine is
/boot/  ) and restart

Jason

Post by Jocelyn Hou » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I recently installed LinuxPPC 98 on my 7200, and all went quite well...
except for one thing:

My ATI XClaimVR doesn't seem to be recognized during boot...

You see, I had to plug my monitor into my original video device (the
7200's), and simply ignore my ATI card...
I managed to install everything (even things I won't need, but hey! ;-),
but I can now only use it with the 7200's VRAM...

You see, if I plug my monitor into my ATI's slot, it starts ok, but my
monitor always is at sleep (the great O'mighty orange LED!)...  I still
can type (as in "macos"), but that ain't what I'd anticipated (nor
wanted!).

I have some theories, but you might have plain answers! (quite preferable)

Nevertheless, here are my theories:

Theory 1
--------
It has something to do with the eternal 7200's OF "no screen alias"
problem...  Can't work around it...  Must start X with ATI driver...

If so, please, tell me how to start X using my ATI card...

or
... *Can* work around it...  Define in OF ATI as the screen device...

Again, indicate how...

Theory 2
--------
I don't have the right booting package/option...  Must specify I have an
ATI card somewhere (possibly recompile) and reboot!

If so, tell me...

Theory 3
--------
(you don't want to read this one... believe me!!!)

Anyhow, maybe some of you might be able to help me out...
Thanks in advance...

Also, how come at boot, I get white text on blue background and after
quitting an X session, I get dark gray text on black background? (quite
unreadable, BTW)

Thanks again...

Politely...

Jocelyn Houle
Computer Science Student at Montreal University

1. Asante Ethernet 10/100 card on 7200 running LinuxPPC

        I made it through my very first installation of LinuxPPC 2000. The packaged
CD-ROM is a very well-done product. Unfortunately Linux is very, very slow on
my PowerPC 7200/90.

I now need someone to handhold me to set up the Ethernet interface. The
built-in Ethernet is buggy on the 7200/90, so I am using an Asante Ethernet
10/100 Card:

http://www.asante.com/support/linux/su_linux.html

How do I set up LinuxPPC to work with this card?

Please e-mail responses and kind offers for help directly to

reda

2. $5, THAT'S ALL YOU NEED

3. LinuxPPC on a 7200/75 install problem

4. 2.5 x86 Intall problems...

5. linuxppc 7200 boot problems

6. Linux PPP server is slower than WindowsNT 4.0 RAS server

7. LinuxPPC/2000 boot problem on 7200/90

8. mach64 vt

9. Problems with Ati Radeon 7200 32mb

10. LinuxPPC on a PowerMac 7200/75

11. LinuxPPC q3 on a Powermac 7200/90

12. LinuxPPC 2000 on 7200 won't boot after installation

13. Installing LinuxPPC on 7200