Mklinux questions

Post by Tom Harringt » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: I have a few questions I've been pondering regarding Mklinux and
: LinuxPPC, Since there don't seem to be any mac-specific linux newsgroups
: <please correct me if i am mistaken>

You're mistaken, or at least nearly so.  Try comp.os.linux.powerpc
(I've added it).

: I thought I might be able to get a decent answer from you folks..

: Anyhoo.. I have just received a new external 4 gig drive and formatted it
: into 4 1 gig partitions <the minimuim file size is still 32k - which i
: thought partitioning would fix, but oh well.. HFS+ awaits.. sorry> One of
: these I thought I might install Mklinux on <my mac is an 8100 clone, and
: thus nubus, and thus Mklinux would be the only option> and use to learn
: Linux, C, X windows, and all sorts of other fun stuff.

Partitioning _did_ fix it.  If you hadn't partitioned it this way,
the block size would be 4x as big, or 128kb.  You could fix it even
more by using more partitions.

: My questions are these: If I install Mklinux on one partition of this
: drive, can I put a MacOS systme folder on a different partition and still
: use it as a startup disk for MacOS? IF so, then how do I get the machine
: to start up under Mklinux?

Yes, this is possible.  But you probably want more than one partition
for MkLinux, even if their sizes only add up to 1Gb of the 4Gb you have.
You'll probably want to use three: root, usr, and swap.  You could use
just two, one root+usr and one swap.  MkLinux doesn't suffer from
increasing partition sizes the way HFS does, but it does need to
have a swap partition, separate from other partitions, for VM to work
(unlike MacOS, disabling VM is not an option with Linux).  All of them
must be A/UX formatted (i.e. an HFS-formatted partition isn't going to
work).

As for booting, MkLinux includes an extension that allows you to
choose which OS to use at boot time.  You'll get a dialog box with
a MacOS button and an MkLinux button, and the system will boot to
whichever you choose.  It also times out after 8 or 10 seconds,
booting to whichever one you've set as the default.

: Is it possible to run Mklinux and MacOS at the same time? One running on
: top of the other, in an emulated mode, etc?

No.  They're separate operating systems.  You need to reboot to switch
from one to the other.

: Is all this really pointless? Should I just buy an old PC and install
: Linux on that? I'd really like to have the best of both worlds <X Window
: and MacOS being the worlds>

It really depends on what you plan to do with the Linux system.  The
only real limitation of MkLinux as compared to PC Linux is that it
has fewer commercial applications.  But it does come with X, gcc,
emacs, etc, etc, and is a full Linux OS.  There's even Netscape
for MkLinux now.  So unless you have some specific commercial
Linux app that you need, you're probably better off sticking with
your 8100.

--

      "Oh, write of me not 'Died in bitter pains,' But 'Emigrated to
                   another star!'"  -Helen Hunt Jackson

Mklinux questions

Post by a.j.tayl » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: Partitioning _did_ fix it.  If you hadn't partitioned it this way,
: the block size would be 4x as big, or 128kb.  You could fix it even
: more by using more partitions.
:
: (unlike MacOS, disabling VM is not an option with Linux).  All of them

You'd be silly not to use it, but you don't HAVE to have a swap partition, at least not on PC Linux. If you're using X, then unless you have a large amount of RAM, then you will require VM.

: : Is all this really pointless? Should I just buy an old PC and install
: : Linux on that? I'd really like to have the best of both worlds <X Window
: : and MacOS being the worlds>
:

If you buy an old PC, then you will probably suffer from speed problems under X, unless you have the cash to throw a decent amount of RAM at it. I have a 486 66, with 16 MB Ram, and that's really getting a little too slow to RUN X. I also have a Pentium 150 with 24MB, and that flies along quite nicely, mostly because of the extra RAM and a nice fast HD controller.

My ideal world is having a PC Linux box (the Pentium) and my Mac laptop, and there I get the best of both worlds at the same time, which will improve when I get the two Ethernetted together.

I've not used MkLinux, but I understand it's PPC only.

Does anyone know of a 68K Linux??

Mklinux questions

Post by Geert Uytterhoeve » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know of a 68K Linux??

YES! In fact Linux/m68k was the _first_ port of Linux to a non-Intel platform
--- started at the end of 1993 --- but most people seem to forget this, or are
just ignorant. The Alpha, SPARC and PPC ports always got more attention.

Linux/m68k runs on (in chronological order) Amiga, Atari, VME, Apollo and some
Macs. Ports to Sun-3, NeXT and HP9000/300 are underway.

There even is a newsgroup: comp.os.linux.m68k, which was the first non-Intel
Linux newsgroup, too.

More info:

    http://www.linux-m68k.org/

Greetings,

                                                Geert

--

Wavelets, Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP}  http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/

Mklinux questions

Post by a.j.tayl » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

:
: YES! In fact Linux/m68k was the _first_ port of Linux to a non-Intel platform
: --- started at the end of 1993 --- but most people seem to forget this, or are
: just ignorant. The Alpha, SPARC and PPC ports always got more attention.
:

Sorry, I meant to say 68k Linux that runs on my Duo 280.

I did a little research a while back, and seem to remember coming to the conclusion that m68k wouldn't run on my machine (68040LC, I believe).

Was I wrong?

Mklinux questions

Post by Geert Uytterhoeve » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> :
> : YES! In fact Linux/m68k was the _first_ port of Linux to a non-Intel platform
> : --- started at the end of 1993 --- but most people seem to forget this, or are
> : just ignorant. The Alpha, SPARC and PPC ports always got more attention.
> :

> Sorry, I meant to say 68k Linux that runs on my Duo 280.

> I did a little research a while back, and seem to remember coming to the conclusion that m68k wouldn't run on my machine (68040LC, I believe).

> Was I wrong?

The 68LC040 doesn't have a FPU, which is currently required by Linux/m68k until
someone writes a decent GPL'd FPU emulator.

Besides, many Macs were shipped with buggy 68LC040s that even prevent the
operation of a FPU emulator. Rumors say Apple will ship you a full 68040 for
free if you have such a buggy 68LC040.

Greetings,

                                                Geert

--

Post by Tibor Pau » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I've not used MkLinux, but I understand it's PPC only.

That's not true! There is a Intel and a HP PA port, too.

Mklinux questions

Post by Shimpei Yamashit » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>: Partitioning _did_ fix it.  If you hadn't partitioned it this way,
>: the block size would be 4x as big, or 128kb.  You could fix it even
>: more by using more partitions.
>:
>: (unlike MacOS, disabling VM is not an option with Linux).  All of them

>You'd be silly not to use it, but you don't HAVE to have a swap
>partition, at least not on PC Linux. If you're using X, then unless you
>have a large amount of RAM, then you will require VM.

The MkLinux people were saying that there was some issue with the Mach
memory scheme that causes the system to be unstable if you have no
swap at all. You do not have to have a big swap partition, but you
do need some.

--
Shimpei Yamashita               <http://www.patnet.caltech.edu/%7Eshimpei/>
The address I have listed in the headers is a working address. It just

Mklinux questions

Post by Nancy J. Cass » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

why is this thread on a Mac newsgroup?

--
"I dreamed I was flying...
far up above, my eyes could clearly see,

Mklinux questions

Post by Jason » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>why is this thread on a Mac newsgroup?

Because mkLinux is an Apple-supported OS that runs on Mac hardware.

It's a good way to make your Mac a lot better (although linux-pmac
is an even better way).

Mklinux questions

Post by Per Erik R?n » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> why is this thread on a Mac newsgroup?

Perhaps because MkLinux runs un PowerMacs.

BTW. Very soon two G3 updates will be available for the PowerMac
6100/7100/8100 series, updates that will permit people to keep their AV
or DOS card in the Processor Direct Slot. The upgrade will itself be
placed in the PDS slot, but with a passage to the old AV og DOS card. It
will run at 220 MHz [240 MHz], with a level 2 cache of 512 k [1 M] and
cost $500 [$700] on the street, and come from Newer Technologies. Due
around March 1.

The question then is whether it will be possible to continue running
MkLinux on a 6100 _with_ this new PPC 750 processor in the PDS slot. The
answer to this question may very well be decisive for me when coming to
purchasing this upgrade. At present, I run both MacOS, Windows95 and
UNIX [MkLinux] on the same PowerMac with an Apple DOS Compatibility Card
[72 M on PPC-processor, 32 M on Intel 486dx-processor].
--
Per Erik R?nne

Homepage: http://www.diku.dk/students/xerxes
Remove '.edu' before e-mail [anti-spam]

Mklinux questions

Post by Bob No » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> The question then is whether it will be possible to continue running
> MkLinux on a 6100 _with_ this new PPC 750 processor in the PDS slot.

well, MkLinux no longer runs on my 7600 with the Newertech MaxPowr Pro
card.  (this isn't a compliant, just an observation.)

--
Bob
(I think people can figure out how to email me...)

Mklinux questions

Post by Chester L » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Did you try the latest WIP (came out on the 14th) which may support
G3-upgraded Macs according to the README?  I'm curious to know if it
really works.

Chester

>[snip]
>> The question then is whether it will be possible to continue running
>> MkLinux on a 6100 _with_ this new PPC 750 processor in the PDS slot.

>well, MkLinux no longer runs on my 7600 with the Newertech MaxPowr Pro
>card.  (this isn't a compliant, just an observation.)

--

Polymer Science & Engineering       Office: (413) 577-1224
University of Massachusetts

Mklinux questions

Post by Bob No » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Did you try the latest WIP (came out on the 14th) which may support
> G3-upgraded Macs according to the README?  I'm curious to know if it
> really works.

ah, no.  I haven't tried any of the WIP's.

Kind of dumb of me to forget about the WIP's.  Thanks
for the suggestion/reminder.

--

Post by Charles Albert Mang » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>> Did you try the latest WIP (came out on the 14th) which may support
>> G3-upgraded Macs according to the README?  I'm curious to know if it
>> really works.

>ah, no.  I haven't tried any of the WIP's.

>Kind of dumb of me to forget about the WIP's.  Thanks
>for the suggestion/reminder.

Mind if i ask a dumb question?

What the heck is a WIP?

||   The Existential X    ||    (_)\\   Silent Trystero's Empire     ||

Mklinux questions

Post by Bob No » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Mind if i ask a dumb question?

> What the heck is a WIP?

Work In Progress.

Below is a quote from the WIP directory:

Quote:> This is a 'Works In Progress' directory.

--
Bob
(I think people can figure out how to email me...)
(replace ihatessppaamm with my name (rnoel) and mediaone with hw1)

1. MkLinux questions

Hi,

has anyone definitive information on the following?

- When will DR3 arrive (or, until when will it NOT arrive)? (It's not
that I can't wait, but I've delayed some upgrades because DR3 was to be
out "any day now" for several weeks.)

- Will DR3 finally support floppies? If not, when can I expect floppy
support to be implemented? (Floppy support has been under development
for at least a year now, acoording to reference material. MkLinux
development is beginning to resemble Copland...)

- Where can I look for up-to date information on current versions? (I've
given up on www.mlinux.apple.com because it's outdated by several
months. I don't expect flashy graphics, but I'd like to know at least
what the current release is.)

TIA,

- Wulf

! Max-Volmer-Institut     Technische Universitaet Berlin !
! Strasse des 17. Juni 135     10623 Berlin      Germany !
!________________________________________________________!

2. Real Audio *ENCODER* under Linux?

3. newbie mklinux question

4. Call For Programmers

5. More newbie MkLinux questions ...

6. Why NUMLOCK, CAPS and SCROLL light don't work??

7. 2 MkLinux Questions: system error display and KDE exit

8. SunVideo (sbus) on 64bit Solaris 8 ???

9. MKLinux questions

10. Some MkLinux questions

11. mklinux question

12. MkLinux Question