I got ripped off by LINUXPPC.ORG

Post by Kazuya Takiga » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi, all,
Since I had no experience with Linux, I decided to order the CD-ROM from
LinuxPPC.org. I ordered the CD-ROM just before the latest release, so I
had to wait for the newest version to be available. They waited before
they shipped the CD-ROM, which was nice. However, it's been over a month
since I received an e-mail from the Business Manager at LinuxPPC (Marcia
Knapp) that said that they have shipped out the items I ordered. Where is
the package? I don't know. I have not received a thing from them.
I then e-mailed Marcia for more than 3 times to find out why I wasn't
getting anything. She replied just once saying they had shipped out. She
never replied to me at all.

Does anyone know if they have been doing such a business, ripping off the
new customers or anyone know where else I can contact to receive the
CD-ROM or my money back?

Thank you,

Kaz Takigawa

I got ripped off by LINUXPPC.ORG

Post by Olivie » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

No, I got mine on time (2 weeks after ordering)
Everything was okay !

I do not know what might be wrong ???
Olivier

Post by Jonathan J. Sap » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> No, I got mine on time (2 weeks after ordering)
> Everything was okay !

I got mine in rather short order as well.

I got ripped off by LINUXPPC.ORG

Mine took about a month to arrive, but I did get it.

Post by David Newm » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

: Does anyone know if they have been doing such a business, ripping off the
: new customers or anyone know where else I can contact to receive the
: CD-ROM or my money back?

I received mine about week after I ordered it. It probably helped that
I was just 1 state away. I have seen others claim (in this msg thread
and others prior) that orders can take up to a month to receive.

--Dave

Post by Matthew Pritzke » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi, all,
> Since I had no experience with Linux, I decided to order the CD-ROM from
> LinuxPPC.org. I ordered the CD-ROM just before the latest release, so I
> had to wait for the newest version to be available. They waited before
> they shipped the CD-ROM, which was nice. However, it's been over a month
> since I received an e-mail from the Business Manager at LinuxPPC (Marcia
> Knapp) that said that they have shipped out the items I ordered. Where is
> the package? I don't know. I have not received a thing from them.
> I then e-mailed Marcia for more than 3 times to find out why I wasn't
> getting anything. She replied just once saying they had shipped out. She
> never replied to me at all.

> Does anyone know if they have been doing such a business, ripping off the
> new customers or anyone know where else I can contact to receive the
> CD-ROM or my money back?

Mine took about 10 days to come.  It arrived in a USPS mailer.  I don't
don't how much tracking info US post office provides, but maybe you
could call them.  OTOH, if the route from the linuxppc home office to
your location passes through Chicago, you may never receive it;-)

--
--------------------
Matthew Pritzker                Graduate Research Assistant

I got ripped off by LINUXPPC.ORG

Post by Cort » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Mine took about 10 days to come.  It arrived in a USPS mailer.  I don't
>don't how much tracking info US post office provides, but maybe you
>could call them.  OTOH, if the route from the linuxppc home office to
>your location passes through Chicago, you may never receive it;-)

>--

I receive my CD in less than two weeks (in Europe :-)

                        Matteo

--

Post by David W. Richardso » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi, all,
> Since I had no experience with Linux, I decided to order the CD-ROM from
> LinuxPPC.org. I ordered the CD-ROM just before the latest release, so I
> had to wait for the newest version to be available. They waited before
> they shipped the CD-ROM, which was nice. However, it's been over a month
> since I received an e-mail from the Business Manager at LinuxPPC (Marcia
> Knapp) that said that they have shipped out the items I ordered. Where is
> the package? I don't know. I have not received a thing from them.

Call or email them.  If you don't complain, they won't know they have a
problem.

I had a problem w/ my Release 3 (2/14/98) CD - it didn't arrive on time
& I had to call them twice to get it mailed correctly.  I would up with
two copies.  Release 4 arrived within 2 weeks without any problems
(other than a slight crack in the CD jewel box).

If you used release 3, you'll like release 4.  Only install errors (one
in gpm, and another in a package I didn't care about).

-- headers forged, use --

 If you cause my message  to  disappear  through other  than  customary
 means  (e.g.  formal  or  informal  moderation,  expiration,  computer
 failure, etc.), be prepared to morally or legally justify your actions.

I got ripped off by LINUXPPC.ORG

Post by Dave Calhou » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have also been having trouble. I do not feel the R4 release works as
advertised and emailed a request for a refund. One week alter I still have
not received ANY response. It is VERY UNLIKELY that I will ever order
anything from them again. I understand Debian is going to come out with a
Linux for PPC so I'm hoping they can do a better job.
Dave Calhoun

> Hi, all,
> Since I had no experience with Linux, I decided to order the CD-ROM from
> LinuxPPC.org. I ordered the CD-ROM just before the latest release, so I
> had to wait for the newest version to be available. They waited before
> they shipped the CD-ROM, which was nice. However, it's been over a month
> since I received an e-mail from the Business Manager at LinuxPPC (Marcia
> Knapp) that said that they have shipped out the items I ordered. Where is
> the package? I don't know. I have not received a thing from them.
> I then e-mailed Marcia for more than 3 times to find out why I wasn't
> getting anything. She replied just once saying they had shipped out. She
> never replied to me at all.

> Does anyone know if they have been doing such a business, ripping off the
> new customers or anyone know where else I can contact to receive the
> CD-ROM or my money back?

> Thank you,

> Kaz Takigawa

I got ripped off by LINUXPPC.ORG

Post by Andrew Spar » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Things do get lost in the mail sometimes...

Quote:> Hi, all,
> Since I had no experience with Linux, I decided to order the CD-ROM from
> LinuxPPC.org. I ordered the CD-ROM just before the latest release, so I
> had to wait for the newest version to be available. They waited before
> they shipped the CD-ROM, which was nice. However, it's been over a month
> since I received an e-mail from the Business Manager at LinuxPPC (Marcia
> Knapp) that said that they have shipped out the items I ordered. Where is
> the package? I don't know. I have not received a thing from them.
> I then e-mailed Marcia for more than 3 times to find out why I wasn't
> getting anything. She replied just once saying they had shipped out. She
> never replied to me at all.

> Does anyone know if they have been doing such a business, ripping off the
> new customers or anyone know where else I can contact to receive the
> CD-ROM or my money back?

> Thank you,

> Kaz Takigawa

I got ripped off by LINUXPPC.ORG

Post by Mike Harri » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I to have been ripped off by LINUXPPC.ORG...

About a month ago I order the CD + (dopey) T-shirt deal from them, shortly

confirming shipment of my order.

I've sent 2 follow up emails to them asking whether or not they
experianced issues with my order, but nobody has bothered to reply to
either of them.  As far as I'm concerned their service dept. sucks.

Mike :o )

Post by Geert Uytterhoeve » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> OK OK, I know its bad to post "me too's" but mine came fairly quickly.
> (Atlanta, GA)

> And what's up with Debian making a PPC linux? I don't like the idea of
> market fragmentation, but will it also be free?

Debian is 100% free, i.e. even more free than Red Hat, on which R4 is based.

www.debian.org.

Greetings,

                                                Geert

--

Wavelets, Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP}  http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/

Post by Jose Nazari » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Since I had no experience with Linux, I decided to order the CD-ROM from
> LinuxPPC.org. I ordered the CD-ROM just before the latest release, so I
> had to wait for the newest version to be available. They waited before
> they shipped the CD-ROM, which was nice. However, it's been over a month
> since I received an e-mail from the Business Manager at LinuxPPC (Marcia
> Knapp) that said that they have shipped out the items I ordered. Where is
> the package? I don't know. I have not received a thing from them.
> I then e-mailed Marcia for more than 3 times to find out why I wasn't
> getting anything. She replied just once saying they had shipped out. She
> never replied to me at all.

> Does anyone know if they have been doing such a business, ripping off the
> new customers or anyone know where else I can contact to receive the
> CD-ROM or my money back?

you are, in fact, the latest victim of one of the new, great apple scams.
linuxppc.org has an ip block that is, in truth, owned and operated by apple
computer corp. the goal is to ferret out those who are owners of apple
hardware but don't want to run apple OS's on it. the latest front is the
people who buy the iMac, hence the splash of press about getting Linux on it.
while it does appear to work initially (ie some boot messages), what will
invariably come up is, "sucker, now you're machine is hosed. you shouldn't
have tried to leave the apple family." your machine is, at that point,
permanently damaged. beyond repair. turns out steve jobs is the BOFH
incarnate.

in all truth, yeah, they sometimes take a while. i attribute this to them
making a few bug fixes and such, pressing new cd's and such. this was the
case when i ordered v2 last summer, it took over a month to arrive. turns out
i was getting the improved v2 with bug fixes and such.

if you're really concerned, give them a call. no ned to be irate or rude,
they're good people there. they have a loyal customer base for a reason.

jose nazario
dept of biochemistry
case western reserve university

I got ripped off by LINUXPPC.ORG

Post by Thomas Carlso » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Kazuya,

I received my cd rom in the mail about a week after I ordered it.

Thomas

Quote:>Hi, all,
>Since I had no experience with Linux, I decided to order the CD-ROM from
>LinuxPPC.org. I ordered the CD-ROM just before the latest release, so I
>had to wait for the newest version to be available. They waited before
>they shipped the CD-ROM, which was nice. However, it's been over a month
>since I received an e-mail from the Business Manager at LinuxPPC (Marcia
>Knapp) that said that they have shipped out the items I ordered. Where is
>the package? I don't know. I have not received a thing from them.
>I then e-mailed Marcia for more than 3 times to find out why I wasn't
>getting anything. She replied just once saying they had shipped out. She
>never replied to me at all.

>Does anyone know if they have been doing such a business, ripping off the
>new customers or anyone know where else I can contact to receive the
>CD-ROM or my money back?

>Thank you,

>Kaz Takigawa

Thomas Carlson

I got ripped off by LINUXPPC.ORG

Post by Brian Mack » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

There is what a large number of people do, and that's download the *y
thing. Installation instructions are pretty basic on how to do this, and
the real nice thing is that it's _Free_.

Advance apologies folks, but this is getting fairly tiring. You don't need
to buy the CD to get it to run. Granted it might be simpler, but LinuxPPC
is not a simple OS when compared to MacOS.

--

<http://www.veryComputer.com/~macke/>                               The Prophet
    "In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

1. linuxppc.org, penguinppc.org

Ok, what's the deal?

These two sites both claim to be the home of Linux development for the
PowerPC.

And while linuxppc.org seems to basically ignore the existence of
penguinppc.org, penguinppc.org is very eager about pointing out it is
the _new_ home of development and that LinuxPPC is no longer an
acceptable diistribution.

What's going on there?

--
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User

2. Slow refresh of background

3. Newbie getting ripped off

4. setting environment variables in script files

5. What happened to linuxppc.org?

6. df misreporting 100% usage on 25% full filesystem

7. Linuxppc.org ??

8. Portmap message / unauthorized host

9. Full LinuxPPC 2000 at ftp.linuxppc.org ??

10. What's up with linuxppc.org?