Linux on IBM RS/6000 860 PPC laptop?

Post by Philip Gros » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone ever heard of this beast?  The IBM RS/6000 860 Laptop, type 7249,
about two or three years old, and surely one of the heaviest laptops ever
made.  I've been given use of it for the summer, if I can get Linux running
on it.  My initial attempt to install Linux using the Redhat images from
LinuxPPC got far enough to repartition the hard disk, and format the swap
partition, but the install procedure crashed at the select input source
stage.

The machine has cdrom and floppy drives, and an Ethernet PCMCIA card.
Linux/PPC or Debian Potato would be great, but I need either bootable
floppies or a bootable CD.  Will the LinuxPPC cdrom be bootable on this
machine?  Weirdly, all of the prep-install images from the LinuxPPC ftp site
seem to be bigger than 1.44MB.  Debian Potato doesn't seem to have any
bootable disk images.

Any suggestions on how to get Linux running on this machine would be much
appreciated.

Philip Gross
Columbia University

Post by Dave Bellivea » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Has anyone ever heard of this beast?  The IBM RS/6000 860 Laptop, type 7249,
> about two or three years old, and surely one of the heaviest laptops ever
> made.  I've been given use of it for the summer, if I can get Linux running
> on it.  My initial attempt to install Linux using the Redhat images from
> LinuxPPC got far enough to repartition the hard disk, and format the swap
> partition, but the install procedure crashed at the select input source
> stage.

> The machine has cdrom and floppy drives, and an Ethernet PCMCIA card.
> Linux/PPC or Debian Potato would be great, but I need either bootable
> floppies or a bootable CD.  Will the LinuxPPC cdrom be bootable on this
> machine?  Weirdly, all of the prep-install images from the LinuxPPC ftp site
> seem to be bigger than 1.44MB.  Debian Potato doesn't seem to have any
> bootable disk images.

> Any suggestions on how to get Linux running on this machine would be much
> appreciated.

> Philip Gross
> Columbia University

I got a IBM ThinkPad Power Series 850 that was one generation behind yours.  It
was being ignored at my place of employment and I decided to do the same as
you.  LinuxPPC 5 just came out this weekend, I just started to make boot
floppies from the LinuxPPC mirror and was not able to make them using the "dd"
command (dd if=PREP.install.image of=/dev/fd0) so I tried using rawrite at a DOS
prompt on my PC and it still failed...

If I should make more progress I'll report it here...

Dave

1. IBM RS/6000 860 Web Cam

Does anyone know if any software is available to utilize the 860's built
in CCD camera as a web cam?

TIA,

--Paul
Paul A. Telles                                    Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Systems Engineer                                  1080 Marsh Road, MS
UMPK05-102
Bay Area Channel District                         Menlo Park,
California  94025
Computer Systems                                  (650) 614-6982
(Direct)

    "The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more
expected."
             The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972

2. Two ppp connections

3. OS for IBM RS/6000 860 notebook

4. Linux & Sony CDU926S

5. Linux on RS/6000 860 portable?

6. Dec 21143

7. IBM RS/600 860 Laptop. HELP!!!

8. cannot minimize gnome window

9. RS/6000-860 + ADTX SCSI-IDE Converter?

10. AIX 4.2 on RS/6000 ThinkPad (7249-860)?

11. FS: RS/6000 7249-860

12. RS/6000 Model 860 (Notebook): Error 16000 at startup