Dump Problems in YDL 2.1

Post by Michael Rubinsk » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 02:55:17

Hoping someone can help me out here...

YDL 2.1 running on a 7200/120 with 128mb of RAM.  I have 3 partitions
(besides /swap) mounted at "/", "/var" and "/home".  I'm trying to backup my
root partition to tape using dump.  I get the normal dump messages telling
me it's starting and mapping.  Then, when I get to "Pass III (Directories)"
the system hangs.  No response at all from anything.  I can't log on to any
other terminal, I can't telnet in...nothing.  If I stop the dump (control-z)
then I get the normal "Stopped" message from the system, but I get no
command prompt.  Sometimes, during the process, I get messages on my screen
saying "Invalidate: busy buffer" or "Invalidate: dirty buffer" but I have no
idea what these mean.

I have tried getting and compiling the latest version of dump (0.4b26) and
this did not help either.

I recompiled my kernel and also obtained the latest source tree and compiled
that.  Still no difference.  Right now, I'm running the 2.4.18-pre3 kernel.

Of note...the problem only occurs when dumping "/".  I can dump /home and
/var just fine.  I sometimes get the "invalidate" messages still, but the
dump completes and I can read the files back using restore.

The / partition is 2.1G and about 1.4G of it is used.  Both /var and /home
are both under 100mb of used space.

Any help is greatly appreciated...I'm at my wits end!!!

Thanks!

Mike

1. Can I replace ydl 2.1 with ydl 2.3

I currently have a dual boot setup with ydl 2.1 and mac OS 9.2 on an imac.
My question is, can I install ydl 2.3 in place of 2.1 by doing a custom
install without disturbing or otherwise messing with the mac OS 9 partition.
Would it be the same procedure as if I were doing a reinstall of the 2.1
distro?
Thanks  in advance for whatever advice is offered.
Milt

2. how much cache?

3. ATI XclaimVR and video on YDL 2.1 problem

4. Able to connect with PPP but can't access Internet

5. X problems with YDL 2.1

6. IDE and SCSI a problem?

7. YDL 2.1 Video Problems: 9500/132

8. chap pap help needed

9. YDL 2.1 and Bootloader problems

10. YDL 2.1 mount/nfs problems

11. YDL 2.1 in iMac. Problem with KDE

12. Problems with sendmail dumping core (2.1)

13. YDL 2.1 and the Trackpad