LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 installation on Performa 6400

LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 installation on Performa 6400

Post by Laurent Ettoua » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 08:01:03

I tried to install LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 on my Performa 6400 (108Mo/L2 256Ko/
Formac Proformance Lite 4Mo/ internal HD SCSI with a 1.5 Mo partition
dedicated to Linux) without success. After booting with success on the
CD, installation of packages is stopped with a locked cursor (after
roughly 10-20 packages).
Thank you for your help.
Laurent
--

Post by Martin Costabe » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 21:54:13

> I tried to install LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 on my Performa 6400 (108Mo/L2 256Ko/
> Formac Proformance Lite 4Mo/ internal HD SCSI with a 1.5 Mo partition
> dedicated to Linux) without success. After booting with success on the
> CD, installation of packages is stopped with a locked cursor (after
> roughly 10-20 packages).
> Thank you for your help.

While linuxppc in general is very stable on the 6400, there are some
combinations of kernels and X servers that lead to system freezes in
certain situations. Maybe the kernel and the Xpmac server on the CD are
such a combination. Usually these freezes occur when heavy disk activity
is combined with X windows activity.

Assuming you didn't do something stupid like forgetting to format the
linux partitions, your best bet is to retry and sit very still while the
installer is doing its job. Don't do anything dangerous like moving the
mouse or breathing :-)

--
Martin

LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 installation on Performa 6400

Post by Laurent Ettouat » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 00:22:51

Martin Costabel a crit dans le message

Quote:>While linuxppc in general is very stable on the 6400, there are some
>combinations of kernels and X servers that lead to system freezes in
>certain situations. Maybe the kernel and the Xpmac server on the CD are
>such a combination. Usually these freezes occur when heavy disk activity
>is combined with X windows activity.

>Assuming you didn't do something stupid like forgetting to format the
>linux partitions, your best bet is to retry and sit very still while the
>installer is doing its job. Don't do anything dangerous like moving the
>mouse or breathing :-)

The Xpmac server was selected during the installation with the Proformance
video card installed.
Recently, I removed the Proformance video card and in this way the Xfree
server was directly used but I got exactly the same results. I am going to
try not to breath :-).
In a matter of fact, I think that my computer has got something wrong
(?)because I got trouble to install all LinuxPPC I tried before. Finally,
after several attempts, I finally succeeded but every display manager (KDE,
Gnome...) I used was instable under Xwindow with all LinuxPPC versions. Same
thing with YDL 1.2.
Thanks anyway...
laurent
--

1. Performa 6400: LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 install issues

I just received my CD set from LinuxPPC Inc. and I'm having problems
booting from the disk or installing. I'm getting a black screen with
four lines of text with the last line being "booting...". The system
stays that way for several minutes (like over 5 minutes). I end up doing
a power restart. Once the system restarted itself ending up in MacOS.

The "User's Guide" says "Most Performas except the 6300 and 6400 cannot
boot from the CD or use LinuxPPC at all. Does anyone know of something
I've missed with regard to a 6400?

BTW
I'm attempting to install on a separate dedicated SCSI dive.

--
?   r a y m o n d  ?  p a u l  ?  c a l a n d e   ?

2. Duron and Thunderbird

3. Mount point - Install LinuxPPC (Performa 6400)

4. dl problems

5. Network connections with LinuxPPC R4.1 on a Performa 6400

6. Listserv on Linux??

7. LinuxPPC in Performa 6400, anyone?

8. How can I make fast for internal FTP connection?

9. Performa 6400 w/ linuxppc

10. LinuxPPC install on a Performa 6400/200

11. LinuxPPC 2000 Color problems on 6400

12. LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 Installation Problems

13. LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 on a 2000 Firewire Powerbook