9600 only in LinuxPPC-Lite/kPPP

Post by Scott Henderso » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

After a surprisingly smooth install I've been waiting for something to break
and/or blow up, and I've found it: kPPP will only connect at 9600 no matter
what settings I change. I'm logged in as root, the modem is initializing
just fine AND I spun around three times and bowed to the Linux gods, all to
no avail. Is there some twidget I need to play with or some less than
obvious permission I need to give root to achieve 56k?

Post by Scott Henderso » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> After a surprisingly smooth install I've been waiting for something to break
> and/or blow up, and I've found it: kPPP will only connect at 9600 no matter
> what settings I change. I'm logged in as root, the modem is initializing
> just fine AND I spun around three times and bowed to the Linux gods, all to
> no avail. Is there some twidget I need to play with or some less than
> obvious permission I need to give root to achieve 56k?

  Figured it out, now only if I could conect at 56k AND use 16-bit color.....

9600 only in LinuxPPC-Lite/kPPP

Post by Scott Henderso » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have the same problem witht the 2.1.24 installation and I am currently trying
> to find a newer kernal that works with my video so that I can test kppp. I can
> force my modem to connect faster by setting the &U0 variable, but then my
> system freezes. Also, if I connect at 9600, disconnect, and try again I get
> nothing from my modem unless I go back to Mac OS and make a connection there.

I switched back to the 2.1.125 kernal and all is good. ATI video seems wonky (for
me anyways) with 127, and setting stty 57600 caused my modem/kPPP to hang on init.
Seat-of-the-pants benchmarks: LinuxPPC/Netscape 4.05 FEELS faster than
MacOS8.5/IE4.01, but I've been wrong before.

9600 only in LinuxPPC-Lite/kPPP

Post by Richard Caccavale or Lisa Houliha » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I switched back to the 2.1.125 kernal and all is good. ATI video seems wonky (for
> me anyways) with 127, and setting stty 57600 caused my modem/kPPP to hang on init.
> Seat-of-the-pants benchmarks: LinuxPPC/Netscape 4.05 FEELS faster than
> MacOS8.5/IE4.01, but I've been wrong before.

I have 2.1.125 running now too, and I upgraded my Xpmac and am passing my vmode and
cmode with BootX.  All is good except that I still can't connect with kppp (a major
problem).

--
Richard Caccavale
Denver Colorado

http://www.h2net.net/p/darkstar/

1. LinuxPPC lite on 9600

I am having trouble getting LinuxPPC LIte onto a Zip.

I am using a 9600/300 160mb Ram Internal Zip

The redhat installer starts up fine.
But it fails during the disk set up phase.
I never get the option to see all available devices.

How sensitive is the installer to scsi problems.
Could it be a faulty syquest 270 drive or an internal
zip termination problem i've heard about?

Considered putting it on syquest as well.
but installer gets stuck.

Cliff

2. FTP only Access

3. kppp connects only at 9600 even pernissions are changed.

4. How do I get hosts ip address?

5. SuSE Modem call under Kppp defaults to 9600

6. HELP: FDISK won't create partitions

7. HELP: LinuxPPC '98 on Powermac 9600/200

8. Help Please, networking modules problem

9. LinuxPPC on a 9600/200

10. I deonstrated LinuxPPC on my 9600 at Apple in Boston!

11. HELP: Running X with LinuxPPC 98 on PowerMac 9600/200 ?!

12. linuxppc on 9600 and other old world macs

13. 9600/300 and LinuxPPC