MkLinux newbie Memory question.

Post by Steven M. Duhaim » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I recently installed MkLinux on my friends Performa6116cd. I downloaded
PreR1, which was a little difficult. Trying to keep MacOS8, all those
packages and install Linux on a a total of 800meg of drive was
difficult.

It starts good, everything runs. But the Kernel that comes with it is
HUGE. I suspect it is because it is booting on top of Mach. I'd like to
know if there is a way to trim down the kernels. It appears that just
after boot that the machine is already using 22 meg of RAM! That's a lot
of memory. Is there anything I can do? How can I free some?

--
    Steven  M. Duhaime

http://www.netcom.com/~smd3/
ftp://pweb.netcom.com/smd3/

Post by Mike Zula » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> It starts good, everything runs. But the Kernel that comes with it is
> HUGE. I suspect it is because it is booting on top of Mach. I'd like to
> know if there is a way to trim down the kernels. It appears that just
> after boot that the machine is already using 22 meg of RAM! That's a lot
> of memory. Is there anything I can do? How can I free some?

I wouldn't worry much about it.  If stuff isn't used, then it tends to get
swapped out, and shouldn't bother you much.

If you really feel like it, however, you can download the sources and
compile the kernel/server pair yourself, and choose not to compile in
whatever features that you don't need.  That should save some space.

But it's probably not a big deal. . .

Mike

--
Mike Zulauf

1. newbie mklinux question

I installed Mklinux DR3 on my Powermac 6100. When I installed
it I had my extenal zip disk installed.  Now if I try to boot
Mklinux without the power to the zip drive (or without the
zip drive plugged in) I get lots of complaints, it won't mount
the various file systems and won't boot. What have I done wrong?

    -Bruce

2. Problem: DOOM II for solaris

3. Newbie Question: MkLinux, Apache, and Procmail

4. How to set 56K Modem

5. More newbie MkLinux questions ...

6. rsh/ssh problem

7. Newbie Questions?MKLinux & web browsers...

8. socket descriptor created after forking valid in child?

9. Newbie Question: MkLinux vs LinuxPPC?

10. MKLinux newbie with questions!

11. Newbie questions for MkLinux R1!

12. Newbie MKLinux install question.

13. mklinux newbie install question