ROUTED on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2

Post by Christopher B. Logga » Thu, 18 Apr 1996 04:00:00

We have been having network problems lately so I started looking at what
kind of traffic was on our network.  One thing that I found was that an
older SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 box is broadcasting a routing request (or update?)
at approximately 30 second intervals.  This box is a hand me down and was
already configured when I got it so I don't know exactly what needs to be
changed.

We have a completely self contained network on a single subnet so we do
not require routing services.  Where do I look to figure out why the
routed is running like it is?  I have compared some of the configuration
files (/etc/tcp, etc.) with other SCO boxes on the network that have
routed running but are not broadcasting and have not found the difference
yet.  Where else should I look?

Thanks,
-Chris

ROUTED on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2

Post by Dave Robert » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> routed is running like it is?  I have compared some of the configuration
> files (/etc/tcp, etc.) with other SCO boxes on the network that have

Should be there.  There's a little section dealing with a choice of
routing deamons.  Usually, routed and gated are uncommented, and depends
on you having an /etc/gated.conf, so that one or the other will run.

If you want to run routed, but not send out packets, then run it with the
-q option.  That tells it to keep quiet.  One of my systems looks like:-

        if [ -x /etc/routed -a ! -f /etc/gated.conf ]; then
                routed -k $K -q; echo "routed \c"
        fi

Dave Roberts        | "Surfing the Internet" is a sad term for sad people.
Unix Systems Admin  | Get a board, find a beach, surf some REAL waves and
SAA Consultants Ltd | get a *real* life.
Plymouth, U.K.      | -=[For PGP Key, send mail with subject of "get pgp"]=-

ROUTED on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2

Post by dave edmondso » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

routed will broadcast if it believes that the system is a router.  check
/etc/conf/pack.d/ip/space.c for the variables ipforwarding and ipsendredirects.
 another option is to run routed with `-q', which means that it should be
quiet.
Quote:> We have been having network problems lately so I started looking at what