Sco Open Desktop for IBM Laptops

Post by Lorenttana Colbour » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

It seems that the availability of *any* software that allows you  to install
SCO stuff
on laptops/notebooks is a big secret :)  I mean, I tried to figure out if
people really
do such things as installation of SCO UNIX on portables,
and found very scarce interest and awareness in the subject: looks like
nobody cares too much about it :(

I know that there's a possibility (actually, pretty good chances) to
get SCO ODT or OSR running on Toshiba's, but I don't know how lucky
one would be going with Thinkpads.  I know also that there's a company that
writes and sells laptop-specific device drivers for SCO (and I guess
for other Intel-based UNIX systems, like UW), but I can't recall its
name or how to contact them.

Are there any drivers for SCO OPEN DESKTOP on IBM Thinkpads (Laptops)?
Any suggestions?

<OAS>
Type=Internet DDA=RFC-882!
<OAS>

Post by Steven Thompso » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

>It seems that the availability of *any* software that allows you  to install
>SCO stuff
>on laptops/notebooks is a big secret :)  I mean, I tried to figure out if
>people really
>do such things as installation of SCO UNIX on portables,
>and found very scarce interest and awareness in the subject: looks like
>nobody cares too much about it :(

Yes you are right, there isn't a lot of information about installing on laptops
and the main reason is that the product is designed for server functions, not
a laptop.  Having said this, that does not mean that it won't install -
although the chances of a good install vary widely because of the proprietary
parts of
laptops, display types, etc. that weren't really considered in the design of a
server system.  Certainly the use of laptops has increased and there is a wider
need for support of these systems and I'm sure that it will become a more
important part of SCO's supported systems as time progresses.

Your greatest success will be with OpenServer 5.0 as it has support of IDE/EIDE
devices - particularly CD-ROM that was not part of the earlier products.

The company that you mentions specializes in PCMCIA devices for SCO on laptops
and they have drivers for SCSI and network cards for both 5.0 and 3.0.  You can
contact them at:
        Lynnsoft
        Tel: 904-650-2266
        Fax: 904-650-2270

They have tested their drivers on over 50 laptops including IBM ThinkPads.

Sco Open Desktop for IBM Laptops

Post by Fulko He » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>It seems that the availability of *any* software that allows you  to install
>SCO stuff
>on laptops/notebooks is a big secret :)  I mean, I tried to figure out if
>people really
>do such things as installation of SCO UNIX on portables,
>and found very scarce interest and awareness in the subject: looks like
>nobody cares too much about it :(

>I know that there's a possibility (actually, pretty good chances) to
>get SCO ODT or OSR running on Toshiba's, but I don't know how lucky
>one would be going with Thinkpads.  I know also that there's a company that
>writes and sells laptop-specific device drivers for SCO (and I guess
>for other Intel-based UNIX systems, like UW), but I can't recall its
>name or how to contact them.

The company is called Lynnsoft, they are in Florida.
I've got their address at work.
Drop me a line there, and I will post it.

I just bought a copy of their software
and their PCMCIA ethernet card  (The package deal is better than the
seperate parts by a mile!!)

In general, their stuff works, but I was having a problem with the
laptop.  Their software gave me a modem AND Ethernet for the laptop.

They also have a SCSI interface driver for PCMCIA so you can install
from CD (incase yr laptop doesn't have one built in.) mine did.

Seriously, the biggest problem you will have is with the lack of support
for video.  Most of the modern laptops appear to use a Cirrus Logic
contoller chip.  They (Cirrus Logic) appear to have a new chip every 6 months
so anything above VGA mode may be a real problem.

I'm now looking at a company called Mobius  (http://www.mobius.com)
for a turn key fully installed laptop  (but convenience costs money!

Quote:>Are there any drivers for SCO OPEN DESKTOP on IBM Thinkpads (Laptops)?
>Any suggestions?

Fulko Hew,                           Voice:  905-333-6000  x 6010
Senior Engineering Designer,         Direct: 905-333-6010
Northrop Grumman-Canada, Ltd.        Fax:    905-333-6050

Post by David Clayt » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>It seems that the availability of *any* software that allows you  to install
>SCO stuff
>on laptops/notebooks is a big secret :)  I mean, I tried to figure out if
>people really
>do such things as installation of SCO UNIX on portables,
>and found very scarce interest and awareness in the subject: looks like
>nobody cares too much about it :(

cut..cut..cut

My company has a lot of mobile staff using NEC Versa laptops, (E & V
models), running SCO ODT 3.0, (being changed to 5.0, slowly), &
Windows whatever with a dual boot setup, (our product is runs on a SCO
platform, but we need Win for "normal" stuff - no flames for this
comment please).

We only used the NEC P.C.'s after it was verified that they would run
SCO ok, they seem to work well without any special stuff required for
SCO, given the following limitations:

* PCMCIA support is, (to my knowledge), non-existant for modems and
other things that work in Dos/Win, (someone - please tell me this is
not true - and tell me where I can get some drivers that are not
vendor specific!).

* When SCO loads, my Versa "E" LCD screen goes "fuzzy", (it is hard to
believe and LCD can go fuzzy, but it does!), but this is easilly fixed
by switching the external video/lcd video toggle.

* The screens we have are limited to 640 * 480 res., so ODT
applications can be a bit cramped on the LCD compared to the hi-res
monitors on your desktop.

* Laptops are harder to upgrade than desktops, (I am going to have a
lot of fun trying to run Win 95 and OSR 5.0 on a 340 M hard disk).

Apart from that, it can be amusing to carry into a room a computer
with an operating system and applications more powerful than a lot of
the old mainframes that used to, (and probably still), exist.

Regards, David.
David Clayton, Switchview Australasia Pty. Ltd.

Phone:  + 61-3-9558 9285
Fax:    + 61-3-9558 9286

Post by Steven Thompso » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>* PCMCIA support is, (to my knowledge), non-existant for modems and
>other things that work in Dos/Win, (someone - please tell me this is
>not true - and tell me where I can get some drivers that are not
>vendor specific!).

You can get drivers for PCMCIA modems, SCSI, and NICs from
Lynnsoft for
various flavors of SCO products running on various laptops.

You can contact them at:
                PH: 904-650-2266
                FAX: 904-650-2270

Post by Steve Ra » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

In article <9605130906.AA1...@ts.uk.ibm.com>,
Lorenttana Colbourn  <Lorenttana_Colbourn.IB...@gbla0223.ts.uk.ibm.com> wrote:

>It seems that the availability of *any* software that allows you  to install
>SCO stuff
>on laptops/notebooks is a big secret :)  I mean, I tried to figure out if
>people really
>do such things as installation of SCO UNIX on portables,
>and found very scarce interest and awareness in the subject: looks like
>nobody cares too much about it :(

>I know that there's a possibility (actually, pretty good chances) to
>get SCO ODT or OSR running on Toshiba's, but I don't know how lucky
>one would be going with Thinkpads.  I know also that there's a company that
>writes and sells laptop-specific device drivers for SCO (and I guess
>for other Intel-based UNIX systems, like UW), but I can't recall its
>name or how to contact them.

>Are there any drivers for SCO OPEN DESKTOP on IBM Thinkpads (Laptops)?
>Any suggestions?

Supposedly Thinkpads will run both OpenServer 5 and UnixWare.  I don't
have first-hand information, though.  Most of my information comes from
netnews, but I do know that UnixWare runs on at least one model of the
Thinkpads.  Within the last year, IBM was awarded a large government
contract in which they bidded such a combination.  The reason I know
about it is that they are using DTFS to reduce the disk space requirements.

The announcement for the SCO Advanced Hardware Supplement, Release 5.1
included mention of graphics support for

        IBM Thinkpad (Western Digital 90C24)

So from this, you might assume that they are supported.

Here are some postings from my archives that might be of some help:

> [...]

 >*        if (status = UNDER_NUCLEAR_ATTACK)                       *
 >*               launch_full_counterstrike();                      *
 >(C) 1995 M.F.Sohnius -- free distribution on USENET
 >       (Not a spokesperson  -- just a cyclist!)

 >Article: 3960 of comp.unix.unixware.misc
 >Newsgroups: comp.unix.unixware.misc
 >From: msohn...@novell.co.uk (Martin Sohnius)
 >Subject: Re: What portables/laptops work?
 >Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 22:33:29 GMT
 >
 >Andrew Josey (and...@tamarix.demon.co.uk) wrote:
 >: Stephen Tompsett (step...@blob.demon.co.uk) wrote:
 >: : I am looking for some laptops/portables to run graphics applications
 >: : under Unixware 2.* .
 >: : Can anyone recomend any ?
 >
 >: I use UW2.x on a Toshiba 4400SXC (where we've done a CPU swap to a 486/66) .
 >: I've also seen it running on a IBM Thinkpad 755CX and many Compaq LTE ELites.
 >: The 256 color graphics support for these is in betaX from ftp.novell.co.uk.
 >: You either need a docking station ,
 >
 >I haven't tried it, but the new IDE driver in hba203 should allow installation
 >>from  the IDE-CDROM drive in a Thinkpad 755CD as well.
 >
 >:                                                 load them
 >: using slipinst, or get the PCMCIA card supported by a third
 >: part company (whose name i forget).
 >
 >The Trumpcard "Jack of Diamonds" from Ositech.  It's a modem, too (14.4 or
 >28.8, depending on model).
 >
 >--
 >Martin F. Sohnius                             msohn...@novell.co.uk
 >Novell IS & T, Bracknell, England             +44-1344-724031
 >*        if (status = UNDER_NUCLEAR_ATTACK)                       *
 >*               launch_full_counterstrike();                      *
 >(C) 1995 M.F.Sohnius -- free distribution on USENET
 >       (Not a spokesperson  -- just a cyclist!)

 >Article: 4242 of comp.unix.unixware.misc
 >Newsgroups: comp.unix.unixware.misc
 >From: msohn...@novell.co.uk (Martin Sohnius)
 >Subject: Re: AHA-2940 Adapter installation woes, part tres...
 >Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 10:39:37 GMT
 >
 >David E. Ryan (d...@anomaly.ideamation.com) wrote:
 >
 >[ "Multiple PCI device problem" ]
 >
 >: I checked ftp.novell.com again, and found 2069as.tar, the
 >: description of which indicates that it contains a patch for
 >: instances where UW thinks there are more PCI cards than you
 >: really have. After creating a new boot disk w/ this patch,
 >: the system boots, gives me the novell logo, and then clears
 >: the screen and goes into never-never land (the floppy light
 >: remains on forever, until you shut the machine off.)
 >
 >Yup, even though I reported the very same problem two months
 >ago to the powers that be, no-one retracted the corrupt tf2069as.tar
 >archive.  Use the larger tf2069.tar archive, and go through the
 >same procedure again, and it will work.  Have a good look at
 >the release notes, too!
 >
 >(NB.  I needed the tf2069 to be able to load UnixWare onto a ThinkPad
 >755CX.  It suffers from the "Machine Chekck Exception" problem,

read more »

Post by Bob Wille » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

> >It seems that the availability of *any* software that allows you  to install
> >SCO stuff
> >on laptops/notebooks is a big secret :)  I mean, I tried to figure out if
> >people really
> >do such things as installation of SCO UNIX on portables,
> >and found very scarce interest and awareness in the subject: looks like
> >nobody cares too much about it :(

> >I know that there's a possibility (actually, pretty good chances) to
> >get SCO ODT or OSR running on Toshiba's, but I don't know how lucky
> >one would be going with Thinkpads.  I know also that there's a company that
> >writes and sells laptop-specific device drivers for SCO (and I guess
> >for other Intel-based UNIX systems, like UW), but I can't recall its
> >name or how to contact them.

I have no experience with IBM Thinkpads, but have been successful on both
Toshiba 415CS (Pentium 90mhz) and also real good luck with an
AST Advantage Intel 486 DX4/100Mhz, which we use as a demo machine and gets beat
pretty hard.  Running SCO UNIX 3.2v4.2 on the AST and the Toshiba runs v5.0

Hope this helps.
--

|     CCS Enterprises, Inc.      P.O. Drawer 1690     Easton MD  21601     |
|                    http://www.ccs.com     Come Visit Us !!               |

1. Seeking Laptop Hardware Suggestions for SCO OS5 Desktop 5.0.2

All,

We are in the process of purchasing single-user SCO Open Server Desktop
5.0.2.  Current hardware is running ODT 3.0 and consists of:

    Pentium 100, Triton Chipset, Award BIOS, 32 MB non-parity RAM,
    Conner 2GB SCSI HD, Adaptec 2940 HA, Digiboard PC/4 Multiport,
    Exabyte 8205 8mm SCSI tape drive (internal and external). Mach 64
    Video chipset (I think).

Sometimes systems have to be shipped out around the US to support testing
and training, etc.  We are thinking of buying laptops for these efforts
and perhaps getting docking stations for them as well.  These laptops will
be installed with the new SCO OS.

Would appreciate any advise/experience anyone has about running OS5 on
laptops and general recommendations.  Of particular concern to us is the
ability to attach SCSI devices and to attach up to four RS-232 serial
devices (modem and non-modem).

TIA,

Dave Dickerson
Sierra Vista, AZ

"Which ever it was that wasn't, or, the other way
around, or if not, the contrary."    J.P. Radley

2. altq.conf examples

3. How to sycnronize laptop files with desktop box on SCO?

4. Stats comp.os.linux.networking (last 7 days)

5. SCO Open Desktop Tools: usable with Linux?

6. Ethernet programming preoblem

7. SCO Open Desktop KBD Lockup

8. Uname -a on an AIX 3.2.5

9. SCO ODT 3.0 Open Desktop problem

10. Dialup printers on SCO Open desktop 3.

11. free sco open desktop 5.0.2

12. SCO Open Server 5 Desktop = 1 user?