Dual Pentium Processors: Which is Working?

Dual Pentium Processors: Which is Working?

Post by ASylva » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

We have a customer who's installed our application onto
an SCO Unix box with dual pentium processors.  He wants
to know how he can tell both are operating, or which is
operating.  Or, if it's possible to task one processor to
perform one set of tasks (say, user interaction) while the
other is tasked to do others (say, reports).

As near as I can tell, the operating system probably performs
all the load distribution, but I don't know this for a fact.  Plus,
it would be nice to delegate one for the reports anyway, if
possible.

E-mail would be appreciated, altho I'll be checking in from
time to time.

Thanks!

"We're sorry, but the reality you have dialed is no longer in service.
Please check the value of pi, or email your Sysop for assistance."
Alvin the Chipmunk

Post by Daniel Crows » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>We have a customer who's installed our application onto
>an SCO Unix box with dual pentium processors.  He wants
>to know how he can tell both are operating, or which is
>operating.  Or, if it's possible to task one processor to
>perform one set of tasks (say, user interaction) while the
>other is tasked to do others (say, reports).

>As near as I can tell, the operating system probably performs
>all the load distribution, but I don't know this for a fact.  Plus,
>it would be nice to delegate one for the reports anyway, if
>possible.

        You can find all the information you need in the MPX User's
guide.  You might take a look at mpstat, mpsar, and cpusar.

Later,

Dan

      Chesterfield MO 63005           |    ^-- mail me here 1st

1. Unknown Processor Type with Dual Pentium II's

Does anyone know why my SCO Open Server 3.2v5.0.4 displays only the
first CPU type as Pentium II but doesn't know about the second? I have
installed the Release Supplement for SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.4 and
before this it thought the processors were Pentium Pros. Also, what is
the difference here in the vectors and step? I also have installed the
correct license for SMP ( 2 processors)

mpsar and cpusar seem to be reporting statisics o.k. This is a Compaq
Proliant with 2 Pentium II's.

name=cpu vec=- dma=- unit=1 family=6 type=Pentium II
name=cpuid vec=- dma=- unit=1 vend=GenuineIntel step=C0
name=fpu vec=13 dma=- unit=1 type=80387-compatible

name=cpu vec=255 dma=- unit=2 family=6 type=Unknown
name=cpuid vec=- dma=- unit=2 vend=GenuineIntel tfms=0:6:3:4
name=fpu vec=- dma=- unit=2 type=80387-compatible
Timothy Barhorst

2. Linux Rough Cuts auf SNI RM200

3. Linux on Dual Processor Pentium

4. Test - Please discard

5. Slow second processor on Dual Pentium II, 300 MHz

6. about to give up on MOL

7. Dual Pentium II 300MMX Processor swap?

8. Linux Partitioning

9. Linux support of Dual Pentium Processors?

10. Dual Pentium Processor Motherboards

11. Does Linux support Dual Processor Pentiums?

12. Pentium 200 Dual Processor/ 128K RAM

13. Installing v2.5 x86 on a Dual Pentium Board with One Processor