Help: Printers and Equinox Megaplex

Post by Gary As » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have an Equinox 24 port Megaplex that we have terminals and printers hooked
up to. We Have been using dot matrix printers (Okidata 320 to be exact) using
only wires 2,3 and 7 (TD, RD and GD). It seems two of our printers have
decided to stop functioning properly. After a coupld of pages, it seems to
lose it's handshaking. I bought a new serial port, thinking it was that. It
worked for a few days, and now it dtop printing after one or two pages. I have
given up hope and decided to s*the Oki's. Is there a printer out there
with a built in serial port that will work with only pins 2,3 and 7?

Unless there is another solution. I only have access to 4 wires, so the
solution must take that into account. Can it be that maybe somehow XON/XOFF
has been lost for this port? I have looked at /etc/inittab and /etc/gettydefs,
but I see nothing wrong.

Is there anyone out there who using a serial printer (dot matrix) through an
Equinox Megaport?
1. Earth is 98% full. Please delete anyone you can.
2. I came, I saw, I deleted all your files.
3. The world will end in 5 minutes. Please log out.

Post by Jeremiah Lyd » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I have an Equinox 24 port Megaplex that we have terminals and printers hooked
>up to. We Have been using dot matrix printers (Okidata 320 to be exact) using
>only wires 2,3 and 7 (TD, RD and GD). It seems two of our printers have
>decided to stop functioning properly. After a coupld of pages, it seems to
>lose it's handshaking. I bought a new serial port, thinking it was that. It
>worked for a few days, and now it dtop printing after one or two pages. I have
>given up hope and decided to s*the Oki's. Is there a printer out there
>with a built in serial port that will work with only pins 2,3 and 7?

Yes, you have an excellent one in your hands. Okidatas have worked very well
for us. Two pages of text is the standard limit of an Oki 320/321's buffer. You
are correct in that it appears to be losing it's handshaking.

Let's assume for conversation sake that you have done the following:

__In the Printer Setup__ you have set:

*   "PROTOCOL"   to   "X-ON/X-OFF"
*   "DSR"        to   "INVALID"
*   "BUSY LINE"  to   "SSD-"

Quote:>Unless there is another solution. I only have access to 4 wires, so the
>solution must take that into account.

Let's also assume here that you have installed a jumper wire from pin 6 to pin 20
on the printer's end. (much needed vitamins for the printer <g>)

Quote:>Can it be that maybe somehow XON/XOFF
>has been lost for this port? I have looked at /etc/inittab and /etc/gettydefs,
>but I see nothing wrong.

The Equinox (IMHO the hands winner for I/O board manuf) has an additional program
to aid in managing port settings. Look in their users guide for the function
"megastty" (i.e. megastty +lp +xon </dev/tty??)

Quote:>Is there anyone out there who using a serial printer (dot matrix) through an
>Equinox Megaport?

I guess you can say yes. <g>

FYI. You may want to invest in an inexpensive breakout box - it can save you
hours of head scratching.

Regards,

Jeremiah Lydia                    |   Tel: (502) 267-8629
JLTech                (U.S.A)     |      : (502) 267-2080
8915 Gutenburg Road               |   Fax: (502) 267-2080

Post by Dave Hopki » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I have an Equinox 24 port Megaplex that we have terminals and printers hooked
>up to. We Have been using dot matrix printers (Okidata 320 to be exact) using
>only wires 2,3 and 7 (TD, RD and GD). It seems two of our printers have
>decided to stop functioning properly. After a coupld of pages, it seems to
>lose it's handshaking. I bought a new serial port, thinking it was that. It
>worked for a few days, and now it dtop printing after one or two pages. I have
>given up hope and decided to s*the Oki's. Is there a printer out there
>with a built in serial port that will work with only pins 2,3 and 7?

The problem may not be with your printer, but rather with the serial port
being reset before the printer has finished printing.  I had similiar problems
with older serial printers before realizing the problem.  Your in luck because
you have an Equinox product which allows you to "freeze" the stty settings
forever (or until you reboot).

The following script instructs the Equinox kernal driver to "freeze" the
stty settings (+lp) and freeze xon/xoff flow control (+ixon) and then
sets the proper stty settings via shorthand (see man page on stty -g).
Put this script in /etc/rc.d/8/printers.sh and change it appropriately
for your site particulars (i.e. /dev/tty??'s, bps rate, etc.).

Optionally, you can comment out all stty commands in each printer's lp
interface script, located in /usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces/.  If you
don't, then the stty settings you establish at boot time will get over-
written the first time you print.  Also, comment out (or remove) the
drain.output command as this is no longer needed.

# printers.sh  -- equinox port setup
# for 1200 baud use 8ba
#     2400   "   "  8bb
#     4800   "   "  8bc
#     9600   "   "  8bd
#    19200   "   "  8be
#    38400   "   "  8bf

echo "Setting printer ports...\r"
for i in au av bq bs bt bu bv bw bx
do
        read setting
        /usr/local/bin/megastty +lp </dev/tty${i}
        /usr/local/bin/megastty +ixon </dev/tty${i}
        /bin/stty $setting </dev/tty${i} 2>/dev/null
done <<EOF
400:0:8bd:0:ff:ff:ff:ff:0:0:ff:ff:ff:0
400:0:8bf:0:ff:ff:ff:ff:0:0:ff:ff:ff:0
400:0:8bb:0:ff:ff:ff:ff:0:0:ff:ff:ff:0
400:0:8bb:0:ff:ff:ff:ff:0:0:ff:ff:ff:0
400:0:8bb:0:ff:ff:ff:ff:0:0:ff:ff:ff:0
400:0:8be:0:ff:ff:ff:ff:0:0:ff:ff:ff:0
400:0:8bb:0:ff:ff:ff:ff:0:0:ff:ff:ff:0
400:0:8be:0:ff:ff:ff:ff:0:0:ff:ff:ff:0
400:0:8bb:0:ff:ff:ff:ff:0:0:ff:ff:ff:0
EOF

Help: Printers and Equinox Megaplex

Post by Robert Li » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have an Equinox 24 port Megaplex that we have terminals and printers hooked

Well, this is a competitors board, but I doubt this is anything
Equinox specific.  [ If anyone at equinox.com is listening, "you're
welcome" :-) ]

Quote:>up to. We Have been using dot matrix printers (Okidata 320 to be exact) using
>only wires 2,3 and 7 (TD, RD and GD). It seems two of our printers have

That should be legal *IF* everything is configured OK.

Quote:>solution must take that into account. Can it be that maybe somehow XON/XOFF
>has been lost for this port? I have looked at /etc/inittab and /etc/gettydefs,
>but I see nothing wrong.

gettydefs is the default file for /etc/getty.   It only comes into play
for ports that are enabled for login.  All UNIX admins should be forced
to chant that a billion times.

Replace the printer with a terminal set for slow scroll mode.  It's much
less obnoxious than testing with a printer, and allows you to flip
through setup modes a lot quicker.

Assuming you're printing through the spooler, the place to configure
handshaking in UNIX is in the interface file for that printer.
mkdev lp will help you if editing the interfaces directly makes
you queasy.

Send a big job to the "printer".  While it's printing, do a
'stty -a < /dev/whatever'.  If it doesn't say "ixon ixoff -ixany",
you don't have UNIX configured correctly.  If it does say this,
go mash CTRL-S on the terminal [ an XOFF ]. It better stop printing.
If it doesn't stop, but the port sez it's configured as as above,
then you either have a busted cable coming back to the port, a bad
line receiver in the serial port, a driver/firmware problem, or
you're wrong. :-)

--
Robert Lipe

1. Equinox Megaport/Megaplex

Does anyone have a line on a linux driver for the Equinox
Megaport/Megaplex card series.  I've got one and an old version of
Unixware that will make it work, but how much nicer it would be if I
could make it work with Linux.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Lee
   /\       Lee Sudduth -- Network Systems Administrator
  /  \     Warren Wilson College               <<in the Swannanoa
Valley>>
/_  _\    P.O. Box 9000                         Asheville, NC 28815

2. Cannot load mod_auth_db.so in apache 1.3.19

3. Equinox Megaplex/Megaport Drivers

4. xf86 pixel shift on TFT

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Help with Csh script

7. help equinox mts7000 and unixware 2.1

8. Need good Linux site on west coast

9. Help with EQUINOX on Linux Redhat

10. Plextor Megaplex cd changer

11. Plextor Megaplex 200 CD Jukebox

12. FreeBSD on AMI MegaPlex?

13. Help: /etc/printcap for EPSON LP-9000 printer ( postscript printer)