Weird time problem continues...

Post by Kate Juli » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have a DELL 5100/2SP running SCO 3.2.4. and MPX 3.0. Both processors
are serialized. The only non-DELL card in the system is an Equinox
MEGAPORT card. I'm using the latest drivers. A brief description of the
card is given below.

I have a strange timing problem. sometimes (but not always) when I
re-boot, the time advances at almost double the normal rate. The time is
always correct on boot up and the hardware clock is keeping prpoer time
(I check with cat /dev/clock). However the software clock is way out. At
other times after a re-boot, the system is normal.

I don't understand how SCO determines the time and if I did I might be
able to understand the problem. What could cause SCO to calculate the
time incorrectly?

The other strange thing is that after a shutdown, and after the message
"Safe to power of or press any key to reboot", if a key IS pressed the
screen just blanks and a hard boot is nexeccary. All other behaviour
appears normal.

I suspect the MULTIPORT card as the hardware is OK... or it SEEMS OK>
I don't know what to do next, short of replacing the card.

Any suggestions would be welcome. The system is heavily used so I can't be
messing around with it by removing the card for a while to test the card
theory...

Following is info on the card I got from Equinox in answer to some questions.

     The Megaport board when used in a EISA machine needs to have the PA0
     jumper installed.  This jumper is located at the top of the board on
     the component side.  The jumper goes between the middle and upper pins
     on PA0 ..... let me know if you cannot find it.

     This will hard code the address of the Megaport at 340/341 for dual
     port addressing.  It should work for you now.

     You also should try to install the Megaport board in low memory...
     between 640k and 1024k ..OK????

     You need an eisa config utility for every eisa computer.  Dell should
     be able to help you with that.  Once the PA0 jumper is installed on
     the Megaport board... the computer will no longer ask you for a
     eisa-config file for it.  The EISA Config utility is only needed when
     you set up the computer the first time... however every eisa board
     that you place in the eisa slot..... needs an eisa-config file.  This
     is usually supplied by the manufacture of the board.  Since the
     Megaport board is really an ISA board.... it does not have an
     eisa-config file..... the PA0 jumper simply tricks the computer into
     thinking that it is on the motherboard.

--

Kate Juliff
MechoShade Systems Inc.

Post by Bill Vermilli » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I have a DELL 5100/2SP running SCO 3.2.4. and MPX 3.0. Both processors
>are serialized. The only non-DELL card in the system is an Equinox
>MEGAPORT card. I'm using the latest drivers. A brief description of the
>card is given below.

I've just upgraded a system.  The latest drives, and final I
think, for that card are date 11/22/95, just about two weeks
old.  It's on their ftp site though the web site still shows the old
beta drivers that are about 2 months old.  That's just FYI - in case.

(can't help you with the timing problem)

Quote:>The other strange thing is that after a shutdown, and after the message
>"Safe to power of or press any key to reboot", if a key IS pressed the
>screen just blanks and a hard boot is nexeccary. All other behaviour
>appears normal.

I have heard of that in other machines, and I had it in my
machine.  The cure is a BIOS upgrade.  Mine is flash ROM on a
Micronics MB.   Check with your motherboard mfr. or with Dell.
That "might" be the problem.

--

1. Weird routing problem continued

I've tracked down the source of the routing problem I had by adding a second
nic so I now have eri0 & hme0, If when I install the card on Solaris 10
SPARC I configure a default route to 10.0.0.1 (my router) I can ping
external IP address's without any problem if I edit the /etc/resolv.conf
then the routing stops can't do names or IP address's here what my
/etc/resolv.conf looks like :-

domain  DBSVR.co.uk

nameserver 10.0.0.1

nameserver 212.41.164.3

nameserver 62.69.64.134

I've also edited the /etc/nsswitch.conf file so that hosts: reads hosts: dns
files, I've got the same configuration working on several other Sun boxes
but for some reason this Sun Fire 280R doesn't want to route once the DNS
files have been edited, as a temporary measure I've put the servers we rely
on it /etc/hosts so that Solaris can resolve them to an IP address, the
really odd thing is that after 30n minutes or so of uptime the routing
starts working!

Any suggestions ?

TIA

Paul Hirst

2. How to kill users?

3. Continued.... Continuing Problems with Apache

4. Inspiron 7000

5. Weird RH 7.3 problem starting X a SECOND time without reboot

6. 2.2.2 system as mail and news server

7. weird timezone and mail time stamp problem: off by 8 hours

8. Soundblaster 16 cd-rom 4x

9. eth0 - weird timing problem ??

10. Weird file-date timing problem

11. smbmount'ing NT share: weird time and date problems

12. Weird Redhat System Time problem

13. Weird Ping, weird FTP, weird Telnet... HELP!!!