telnet security

Post by Roger Mawhinne » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Probably I'm just plain stupid, but I cannot telnet from a client to our
5.0.4 server unless I have an entry in the server's /etc/hosts file for the
client.  Is this normal, or is there some setup I don't know about?

Thanks

Roger

telnet security

Post by Bruce C. Goodso » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

You should not need an entry in the hosts file to telnet, sounds like a
route problem,
Be sure you can ping the server from the client.

>Probably I'm just plain stupid, but I cannot telnet from a client to our
>5.0.4 server unless I have an entry in the server's /etc/hosts file for the
>client.  Is this normal, or is there some setup I don't know about?

>Thanks

>Roger

telnet security

Post by Roger Mawhinne » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Ping is the first thing we do when setting up clients and it works fine.
However, ftp won't connect either unless the clients entry is in the
/etc/host tabel.  I suspect someone has changed an option somewhere - I just
don't know what!
Regards, Roger

>You should not need an entry in the hosts file to telnet, sounds like a
>route problem,
>Be sure you can ping the server from the client.

>>Probably I'm just plain stupid, but I cannot telnet from a client to our
>>5.0.4 server unless I have an entry in the server's /etc/hosts file for
the
>>client.  Is this normal, or is there some setup I don't know about?

>>Thanks

>>Roger

1. Telnet Security

I want to disable certain users from telneting into a
RedHat Linux 5.1 machine altogether, is this possible?
Actually disabling certain users from using ftp, rsh,
rlogin, and anything else would be cool too.

--
Bryan Stevenson
BMH Associates, Inc.

2. DHCP client capability?

3. Telnet security

4. True Type Fontst And Line Spacing

5. Telnet security...

6. Zoltrix Nightengale with Optical Out

7. Telnet security

8. HELP! tracking duplicate IP addresses

9. telnet security

10. Telnet security

11. telnet security

12. Telnet security