How to define key sequences for X clients?

How to define key sequences for X clients?

Post by Vincent Wa » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm working on SCO OpenServer 5.0.2 (Eng. version) running X11R5.
I'm using a US AT-101 keyboard but I need to enter
a lot of French characters.

I wonder if I could define specific key sequences for all
X client apps. so thatI could enter those char. more
easily. Precisely,  I want to define the key sequence
'`' + 'a' to give me hex. value of 0xe0, which is an
'a grave' etc.

I can do so in text mode using mapchan but I don't
know how to tackle with the translation resources
and the keyboard events in X.
I checked with xmodmap stuffs and it seems to me that
I could only map a keycode to a keysym... but can
I define key sequences as above?

I would be most gratful if you could help sheding
light on this prob. (pls. reply to

Vincent.

1. Mapping two key sequences to one key?

I've recently moved a student information system from a mainframe to an
RS/6000 running AIX. We're currently supporting VT100 and VT220 emulation,
and I'm looking for a way to map two different key sequences to the same
VT100/VT220 key. Let me explain:

The system uses F3 and F4 for Page Up and Page Down (a mainframe legacy).
It's written in Software AG's Natural, which (for mainframe compatability)
can only accept keyboard input when ENTER or a function key is pressed. We
would like to assign the PgUp and PgDn keys so that they can also be used
for paging. The client telnet software sends ^[OR for F3, and something
like ^[[5~ (I don't have the codes in front of me at the moment) for PgUp.
If possible, I would like to set things up so that either of these codes is
interpreted as an F3. I realize that remapping keys at the host end will
effectively disable PgUp/PgDn in other applications, but since this system
is the only one running on the machine this is not a problem.

I do *not* want to redefine the keys at the client software end, as access
to the system is (will be) possible from any telnet client on the net.
That's too many clients for us to reconfigure, and it would adversely
affect the client's telnet to other hosts.

I tried setting F3 to both sequences in the termcap file, but had no luck.
Perhaps what I need is a Unix utility to intercept input and remap ^[[5~ to
^[OR? I am still new to Unix, and would be grateful for any information
anyone might be able to pass on.

Bill Peterson
Senior Programmer/Analyst
University of Wisconsin System Administration
Office of Information Services

2. HP35470A DAT tape drive problem 4.1.3 on SPARCSt. 10

3. gcc #define #define #define

4. ftp server on 2 nic′s

5. VT100 Have Local Print Key ESC Sequence?

6. external scsi cdrom for Sun ultra 1?

7. How to control/disable the L1-A key sequence for Sun/Sparc ?

8. [Q]: 2nd AT disk controller?

9. It must be an interesting sequence of key strokes

10. STOP - A key sequences

11. How do I disable these key sequences?

12. bindkey - command sequence on one key

13. Tcsh VT Composed key sequences