Sentinal from Star Technologies

Post by CONN.. » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the Sentinal product from
Star Technologies that they'd like to share?   Sentinal allows two SCO boxes to
be connected in a fault tolerant configuration.   Info on other products would
also be welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Post by Chris Fai » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Sentinal from Star Technologies
>Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 18:34:00 GMT
>Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the Sentinal product from
>Star Technologies that they'd like to share?   Sentinal allows two SCO boxes to
>be connected in a fault tolerant configuration.   Info on other products would
>also be welcome.  Thanks in advance.

We have used it under the name of HSX from Corollary. (Star OEM's it) and with
the exception of a few startup issues relating to network cards, it has worked
quite well.

We wanted a very fast link between systems and elected to use FDDI cards when
they were very new and expensive.   That proved difficult and not very
rewarding as they only yielded a 17 percent increase in performance.   All
through our testing, however, the HSX (Sentinal) worked quite well.

Considering it's only a $995 product, I'm surprised we don't see more of it...

Regards,

Chris Faist
ICS Support, Inc.
APC - Kirkland, WA

Sentinal from Star Technologies

Post by Daniel l Aldh » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

The product is beautiful. Their technical support is horrible.

Danny Aldham

--
   Still a student after all these years.

Sentinal from Star Technologies

Post by jmagi » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>>Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the Sentinal product
from
>>Star Technologies that they'd like to share?   Sentinal allows two SCO
boxes to
>>be connected in a fault tolerant configuration.   Info on other products
would
>>also be welcome.  Thanks in advance.

I have used sentinel on two systems both corollary multiprocessors cbus1
and to date it failed badly. We demostrated the product failing over
standard network cards to the star rep and still have not had any decent
resolution. I have however heard that corollary have made substantial
changes to the product before releasing HSX and their techies report it to
be stable. I will be testing HSX shortly and will post the results. Star's
product DMX is one the other had suberb for striping.
John

1. Anyone used Sentinel from Star Technologies on OS5?

I guess the subject line says it. We need some type of mechanism to
keep 2 OS5 systems in sync. The ability of the product to do automatic
switchover, etc is less important than it's ability to keep *all*
files on both systems in sync. Using backups is not an option as the
files are too large.

I've heard about Sentinel, and was wondering if anyone else has used
and what your results were - good, bad or indifferent.

Also, if there are any other products like that that I'm not aware of,
let me know also.

Email or newsgroup posts are fine.

P.S. The *most* important feature is that it be rock-solid.
That was Zen - this is Tao

2. still at about 75% efficiency using term-tupload

3. Sentinal monitoring software

4. 3COM Fast Ethernet OfficeConnect NIC Linux driver?

5. Looking for company called "Southwest Technologies"

6. SysV lastlog

7. Lucent Technologies", "WaveLAN/IEEE" kernel 2.4.6 wvlan_cs, orinoco_cs ..

8. Linux and NEC parallel SCSI adapter

9. New Technology

10. Pyramid Technologies #210x Server

11. Linux with CDRW (Cd reader/writer) technology?

12. Workshop on Internet Technologies and Systems (WITS) - Call For Papers

13. Article: Firewalls vs. the new Firebox Technology - Trends - Linux Product