SCO OS5.0.2, update from SCO OS5.0.0

Post by Roman Fietz » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I have running SCO OS5.0.0d w/ net100 installed, but still have some
problems that are said to be fixed in 5.0.2 (e.g. scomail crashes when
the edited mail is opened too long).

As I understand SCO OS5.0.2 is not intented to be used as an upgrade
installation to prior 5.0.2 versions.

Can I still (re)install some apps from the 5.0.2 media to my 5.0.0d
system and license them with my 5.0.0 license keys?

Or will there be some SLS covering the missing differences from 5.0.0d +
net100 to 5.0.2 (I do not talk about the additional SW coming with
5.0.2)?

Roman

--
Roman Fietze (Mail Code 5023)              Kodak AG Stuttgart/Germany

SCO OS5.0.2, update from SCO OS5.0.0

Post by Dio » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Greetings Roman, and other interested folks...
A few answers interpolated below...

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have running SCO OS5.0.0d w/ net100 installed, but still have some
    >problems that are said to be fixed in 5.0.2 (e.g. scomail crashes when
    >the edited mail is opened too long).
    >
    >As I understand SCO OS5.0.2 is not intented to be used as an upgrade
    >installation to prior 5.0.2 versions.

OpenServer release 5.0.2 is in fact not an upgrade.  It is a minor revision
to release 5.0.0, primarily to add localization for French and German.
So, yes, it is not intended to be used as an "upgrade".  It does have
some additional bug fixes, most of which exist as SLSs for 5.0.0.

    >Can I still (re)install some apps from the 5.0.2 media to my 5.0.0d
    >system and license them with my 5.0.0 license keys?

The same license keys will work.  However, our testing and development
processes have not been aimed at making components interchangeable
between 5.0.0 and 5.0.2.  You may run into problems if you do this.

    >Or will there be some SLS covering the missing differences from 5.0.0d +
    >net100 to 5.0.2 (I do not talk about the additional SW coming with
    >5.0.2)?

Yes, we expect to release additional SLSs where necessary that
will bring 5.0.0 up to the level of 5.0.2.  If you want to be
sure you have as many as possible of the latest bug fixes, I
suggest you do a clean install of 5.0.2.  Yes, I know this is a
PITA and we should have engineered 5.0.2 to install as an
upgrade.  For many reasons which have been discussed at length,
we didnt do it that way, so it will be necessary to do a clean
installation if you want 5.0.2.  It does upgrade from release 3,
as does the 5.0.0 product.

By the way, I think you (all) will find the new product CDROM
interesting...  it has free "light" versions of SCO Doctor and
SCO ARCserve/Open on it, along with the Advanced Hardware
Supplement release 5.2, and Merge 3.2.2.  The CDROM will be
available separately for a low cost.  If you get the product in
the box, you also get two more CDROMs: SCO Toolware and trial
evaluation products from SCO's Client Integration division
including: SCO TermVision, SCO SQL-Retriever, SCO XVision, and
SCO SuperVision.

-Dion

SCO Product Manager - Development Systems and Various Other Stuff
400 Encinal St.  Santa Cruz, CA 95061    FAX: 408-427-5417  Voice: 408-427-7565

    >Roman
    >Roman Fietze (Mail Code 5023)              Kodak AG Stuttgart/Germany

1. UPGRD from SCO OS5.0.0 to OS5.0.2

I have an openserver 5.0.0d system and just got the 5.0.2 release.  Can
an upgrade be done from these versions?  When I try, it tells my I need
to do a full installation.  Is this true??

Thanks in advance

Shane Dixon

2. which jdk to use?

3. SCO OS5.0.2 problem with ftp

4. ANNOUNCE: Ted 0.7f is out

5. SCO OS5.0.2 & PPP

6. kppp failure

7. SCO OS5.0.2, swapping, and MAXUMEM = HELP!

8. socket woes

9. Win95 PPP -> SCO OS5.0.2

10. MMDF on SCO OS5.0.2 configuration problems

11. getty problems after rs.4.0.a under SCO OS5.0.2

12. SCO OS5.0.2: Internal compiler error: (every time)

13. SCO OS5.0.0 and Monitor issues