Netscape w/ MMDF mailboxes?

Post by Robert Lip » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

It's often considered poor form to quote an article completely.  Since
the question and the answer were separated by over a month, it just
seems right in this case.

I finally solved this problem.   The hint was at

http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/movemail.html

The context was near the end where "the Solaris problem" was explained.
Once I realized that Netscape mail always wanted to see the spool in
BSD mailbox format, it was painfully obvious that my MMDF spool was
antagonizing it.  [ I really, really, really, didn't want to switch
away from MMDF, so don't even suggest it. ]

As obtuse as it sounds, configuring the POP3 server for localhost
seems to have solved it.   /etc/popper knows about MMDF mailboxes
and hides that little bit of ugliness from Netscape.

I hope this saves someone else from suffering through this problem.

RJL