TCP/IP Options under SCO 3.2.4

Post by Brian Fahrlande » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

    Rather than the blurb I'd get from the sales department, I'd like to
ask people who've USED the TCP/IP options about their experiences with
the beast.  We're looking to do SOME kind of networking here, on a
simple, character-based system with about 30 users.
    The network would allow us to join the teleoperations center and the
computer that deals with time/piece accounting.  I know it'll take a lot
of memory, processor time, etc. but the ability to do backups remotely
is also a good thing for us.

    So what's best: ODT, the networking-only package?

    Bri

Brian Fahrlander                               (812) 423-1000 Work Phone
System Administrator                           (812) 435-3779 Pager
The Mail Room, Inc
Evansville, IN 47711

TCP/IP Options under SCO 3.2.4

Post by Chris Fais » Fri, 12 May 1995 04:00:00

>    Rather than the blurb I'd get from the sales department, I'd like to
>ask people who've USED the TCP/IP options about their experiences with
>the beast.  We're looking to do SOME kind of networking here, on a
>simple, character-based system with about 30 users.
>    The network would allow us to join the teleoperations center and the
>computer that deals with time/piece accounting.  I know it'll take a lot
>of memory, processor time, etc. but the ability to do backups remotely
>is also a good thing for us.

>    So what's best: ODT, the networking-only package?

It's not really a choice of what's best; rather it's an economic issue.

If you have SCO Unix 3.2.4.2 and you just need TCP/IP then buy it as an
add-on for $695.00.  If you need both TCP/IP and NFS then it is more cost
effective to upgrade to Open Network Server which is simply the same
thing bundled.

If on the other hand, you desire X Windows, Merge etc, then it would be a
good choice to upgrade to the Enterprise edition.

Keep in mind, This is pretty time sensitive advice.  The new OpenServer
5.0 product will ship very shortly and could change the whole equation.

Regards,

Chris Faist
ICS Support, Inc.
APC - Kirkland, WA

TCP/IP Options under SCO 3.2.4

Post by fletch » Sun, 14 May 1995 04:00:00

:     Rather than the blurb I'd get from the sales department, I'd like to
: ask people who've USED the TCP/IP options about their experiences with
: the beast.  We're looking to do SOME kind of networking here, on a

Yes, and it can be a beast!  I've set up and used SCO Open Server, Open
Network, and Xenix, all of which used SCO's TCP/IP and NFS services.
Familiarity with configuring UUCP helps a great deal.

Use of TCP/IP over Ethernet connections is fairly easy.  Be warned,
though, to use NICs that are supported by SCO, explicitly include
drivers for SCO, or are 1000% compatible with cards they _claim_ to
emulate.

Telnet and FTP seem quite reliable and I have been happy with their
performance.  NFS problems I haven't isolated to either my SCO or
Novell platform, so I can't say anything for sure about this.

PPP has been a real *.  It works fine for a simple point-to-point
connection, but after four months of hair-pulling, cursing, and
screaming, it still won't route properly between networks or
subnetworks.  To be sure, part of this is my lack of knowledge.  The
other part is nearly non-existent documentation and the system not
working as it should.

:     So what's best: ODT, the networking-only package?

If you need only TCP/IP networking capabilities, the Open Network
package works just fine.

If you want IPX/SPX and PC-Interface support, or an X-Window interface,
go with ODT.

--
Ed Eaglehouse
Automated Solutions Corporation

1. tcp/ip ppp hangup in sco 3242 tcp/ip 121

Hello:

sco unix 3.2.4.2
sco tcp/ip 1.2.1o

tcp/ip works fine but:

- ppp in the calling machine does not reset on a loss of carrier,
  locking up communications. Configured for modem hardware control
  on both ends. on a loss of carrier

- ppp in the answering machine operates properly, it resets on a loss of
  carrier returning to dial-in availability.

- attempting to configure system for demand dialing.

please provide configuration info on how to prevent ppp from locking up.

please provide info on methods to restart ftp transfers that may be
interrupted.

2. network conflicts

3. How change TCP/IP option on AIX4.2

4. Any Linux lover want to defend this?

5. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

6. VLB EIDE recommendations...

7. Linux tcp/ip kernal options

8. KDE 1.0 on MkLinuxDR3

9. TCP/IP Kernal Options

10. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

11. Keep alive option on TCP/IP sockets