Using SCOadmin to do backups across a network

Using SCOadmin to do backups across a network

Post by Bryan McDa » Wed, 23 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I have 2 pentium servers, one with an exabye 4200c scsi tape drive(server1).
Now i want to back up server2 to tape on the which is located internally
in the first server.  I have set up the equivance for back up as per the sco help pages.
I know my network does work cause i can do anything between the machines and the internet.
but i still get the error saying that server1 is not authorized to backup server2.

Am I missing something??

Help would be appreciated..:) TIA

Post by Daniel l Aldh » Fri, 25 Aug 1995 04:00:00

 I have 2 pentium servers, one with an exabye 4200c scsi tape drive(server1).
 Now i want to back up server2 to tape on the which is located internally
 in the first server.  I have set up the equivance for back up as per the sco help pages.
 I know my network does work cause i can do anything between the machines and the internet.
 but i still get the error saying that server1 is not authorized to backup server2.
 Am I missing something??

I have never done this from sysadmsh, but I have done it from the command
line. Most important is that you have user equivalence. This is easy to test
by doing an rlogin between machines. If it asks for a password, you don't.

To backup server2 to tape on server1, enter on server1:
#rcmd server2 "tar cvf - /usr " > /dev/rct0

or on server2 enter:
#tar cvf - /usr | rcmd server1 dd of=/dev/rct0

Danny Aldham

Post by Unisource Syste » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Hello,

: I have 2 pentium servers, one with an exabye 4200c scsi tape drive(server1).
: Now i want to back up server2 to tape on the which is located internally
[snip]
: Am I missing something??

: Help would be appreciated..:) TIA

Hi Bryan;

   Check out the free eval at: ftp.netcom/com:/pub/un/unisrc.  It'll
solve your problems.
G.

1. error doing tape backup across network

Hi all

I'm trying to backup files mounted on an smb share to tape using the
following command....

tar zcvf /dev/st0 /dir/name/and/so/on

bit as its archiving I keep getting the following error.

tar: ./xerox/files/xdisk_32/XDisk32.exe: file changed as we read it

I asume its windows scanning the dir or something like this.
Can anyone tell me how to prevent this problem.

Cheers
Alex

2. "Non-Writable Folders"

3. Backup across network using cpio

4. smbmount please

5. Question on programming

6. Using tape drives across a network using nfs

7. Strange but true...

8. Iproute2 problem across networks using NAT and 2 internal networks

9. How do you backup root files across a network?

10. backup across network

11. Backup across network with cpio

12. Sharing a DOS diskette across a network