Help - moving SCO 3.2v4.2 to new hard disk

Help - moving SCO 3.2v4.2 to new hard disk

Post by Hugh Billitz » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi can anyone please me. Need copy of SCO Technical Article on moving SCO
3.2v3.2 (aka OpenSever 3.0) boot/root to new hard disk.

Briefly (?) the scenario is
- The boot/root SCSI hard disk is starting to fail (1GB SCSI on Adaptec 2940)
- Cannot get same drive easily so we are given a 2GB SCSI
- Do partial install on new hard disk to get boot code on disk
   (with different file system sizes)
- Restore from root file system backup
- System boots OK to single user mode but will not mount any file system. Get
  the message "cannot stat /dev/xxx" where xxx is the raw device file name.

Suspect this is basically due to me doing it incorrectly e.g. Attempted
to get a copy of the aritcle from the SCO Support Web site but it could
not find it. Found the article for 3.2v2.0 but this refers to this other
article for 3.2v4.2 (the one I could not find).

Post and/or email - thanks in advance

--
Hugh Billitzer

"panic: /dev/null corrupted - bit bucket leak detected"

1. Moving of existing SCO Unix OS Rel 3.0 Version 2 to a new hard disk

Hi,

        My SCO Unix Rel 3.0 Version 2 has a SCSI hard disk acting as the
primary hard disk. On this
hard disk, 2 filesystems are mounted, the /dev/root and also another
self-created file system for
data purposes.

        Recently, the hard disk seems to have bad blocks and there is a risk
that the disk will
crash anytime. So, I acquire another SCSI hard disk to replace it.
However, how do I move everything
on the existing hard disk to the new hard disk? I have backup the
Operating System onto a tape. What
additional steps do I have to take to re-instate the OS onto the new
hard disk? Are there any things
that I should be aware and take caution?

        Thanks in advance...

Regards
Jadorison

2. Web Ticker Stock Scroller

3. SCO 3.2v4.2 hard disk recognition

4. Another Apache SSI problem

5. SCO 3.2v4.2 Creating New Disk

6. MDK 9.0 & 9.1 : USB Disappears!

7. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

8. 3 questions

9. Moving root disk to new hard drive

10. *** MOVING LINUX TO A NEW HARD DISK

11. moving to new hard disk

12. Adding new hard disk and Moving root partition

13. *** MOVING LINUX TO A NEW HARD DISK