SCO OS5 Q: Problem mounting W95 filesystems :-\

Post by Super user equivalen » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I have just configured a disk with 2 partitions, one DOS with W95 and
> the other running FREE SCO OS5. Both boot fine and seem to be working
> OK but I was wondering if it is possible to mount either UNIX from W95
> or (more likely) DOS/W95 from UNIX?

> I have tried doing a mount of the /dev/hd0d device and it identifies
> it as a DOS partition but won't go any further. An fsck brings out
> loads of prompts to fix bad directory entries - which I have skipped.

> Is there a way to do this?

> TIA
> Chris R.

> --
> All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.

Run "mkdev dos".  Relink, and reboot.

mount -f DOS /dev/dsk/0sC /mnt

Post by Chris Rap » Mon, 04 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have just configured a disk with 2 partitions, one DOS with W95 and
the other running FREE SCO OS5. Both boot fine and seem to be working
OK but I was wondering if it is possible to mount either UNIX from W95
or (more likely) DOS/W95 from UNIX?

I have tried doing a mount of the /dev/hd0d device and it identifies
it as a DOS partition but won't go any further. An fsck brings out
loads of prompts to fix bad directory entries - which I have skipped.

Is there a way to do this?

TIA
Chris R.

--
All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.

SCO OS5 Q: Problem mounting W95 filesystems :-\

Post by Chris Rap » Mon, 04 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Sorry, folks - brain wave - I've just found out that I needed to add
DOS filesystem support.

Did that and it mounts fine!

Cheers
Chris R.

--
All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.

1. Free SCO OS5 seems to have corrupted my DOS/W95 filesystem.... :-\

It was all going so well, then I tried adding an extra hard disk to my
SCO OS5 system......

My setup is:
- Pentium 200Mhz, 32Mb RAM
- 3 IDE devices connected to the motherboard:
        1. Quantum Fireball 1.2Gb (Primary Master)
        2. Toshiba 8x CD-ROM (Primary Slave)
        3. IBM 2Gb (Secondary Master)

- disk 1 has a 500Mb SCO OS5 partition and a 720Mb DOS/Windows95
partition which both work fine.
- disk 2 just has a DOS/Windows95 partition

I got it all working fine and decided to mount the DOS drives through
UNIX to get access to the files. The DOS partition on disk 1 worked
fine but when I did a mkdev hd to add the second drive I found what I
think is a rather nasty problem:

- After chosing the 'Add hard disk to IDE' option it went into fdisk
- I quitted out without changing anything
- It asked if I wanted to make a UNIX partition active
- I answered NO (n) because there is no UNIX partition on that drive
and fdisk just put me back at the fdisk menu - I couldn't get out.
- After going round a few times (again, not selecting to do
_anything_) the only way out was to hit <Del>

All seemed to be ok until I booted my Windows95 partition again and
now it won't see anything on the D: drive while in DOS. The
interesting thing is that once into Windows95 it works fine.

If I run Scandisk through Windows95 it goes through without finding
any problems but if run through DOS it comes up with loads of erros
(which I have NOT fixed for fear of damaging the drive)

I have an idea it might be to do with the LBA mode but I don't really
understand the concept of LBA and I can't see how UNIX was able to
change anything (I haven't changed anything in my BIOS).

I have a backup and I  can read things through Windows95 but the fact
that DOS isn't working is bad and I don't know what to do about it.
Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks
Chris R.

--
All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.

2. ESC-key to break work

3. SCO OS5.0.2, update from SCO OS5.0.0

4. ATI Mach32 help wanted.

5. Q: OS5: mnttab and really mounted filesystems?

6. Panasonic portable CD-ROM & Linux?

7. W95 versus *nix, W95 & GNU, W95 memory hogging

8. /etc/inetd wrecks my ability to tredir 25 25 [aRe: tredir ...]

9. UPGRD from SCO OS5.0.0 to OS5.0.2

10. Problem mounting DOS filesystem on SCO V5.0.2

11. Can RH6.2 mount drives from SCO os5?

12. no ping: Linux <-> SCO, ping W95 <-> SCO @$#%@#!!

13. Filesystem/divvy problem with OS5