MMDF SMTP fails to deliver mail in @relay:user@host format

Post by Bill Barte » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I have a problem and a question regarding our MMDF setup for the list:

1) In our chan.log log we get lots of Failure in header parse messages for the
local and smtp channels.  Mail seems to be delivered (with exception of
messages sent through a relay) but I have to wonder what is not being parsed.
Here are sample lines from the log:

 7/23  8:40:32 smtp  4584:  Failure in header parse
 7/23  8:41:32 smtp  4584:  Failure in header parse
 7/23 10:40:05 local 0517:  Failure in header parse
 7/23 10:41:22 local 0557:  Failure in header parse

the mail goes through fine.  I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there's a
configuration change I can make in my mmdftailor file to make both forms work
properly.  Here is a snip of the table and channel definitions:

MTBL name=local,        file="local.chn",       show="Local Host Aliases"
MTBL name=locdom,       file="local.dom",       show="Local Domain"

MCHN    local, show="Local Delivery", ap=822, mod=imm
MDMN    "thecoo.edu", show="Local domain", table=locdom

MTBL    list,           file="list.chn",        show="List Channel"
MCHN    list, show="List Processing", ap=same, mod=imm,
        host="ux1.thecoo.edu"

MTBL domain, file=domain.dom, show="Local Ethernet", flags=partial
MDMN "thecoo.edu", show="Local Ethernet", table=domain

MTBL    smtpchn,        flags=ns,               show="SCO SMTP Channel",
        flags=channel
MTBL    smtpdom,        flags=ns,               show="Local Ethernet",
        flags=domain, flags=partial

MCHN    smtp, show="SCO SMTP Delivery", ap=822, tbl=smtpchn, mod=imm,
        confstr="ux1.thecoo.edu"

MCHN    delay, show="Name server Delay Channel", ap=same, tbl=smtpchn
MDMN    "thecoo.edu", show="Local Ethernet", table=smtpdom

MTBL rootdom, flags=ns, flags=domain, show="Root Domain"
MDMN "", show="Root Domain", table=rootdom

Any help is appreciated!

MIS Director
University of Sioux Falls

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> 1) In our chan.log log we get lots of Failure in header parse messages for the
> local and smtp channels.  Mail seems to be delivered (with exception of
> messages sent through a relay) but I have to wonder what is not being parsed.
> Here are sample lines from the log:

>  7/23  8:40:32 smtp  4584:  Failure in header parse
>  7/23  8:41:32 smtp  4584:  Failure in header parse
>  7/23 10:40:05 local 0517:  Failure in header parse
>  7/23 10:41:22 local 0557:  Failure in header parse

> 2) We have a problem with messages in RFC822 style, for instance

> the mail goes through fine.  I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there's a
> configuration change I can make in my mmdftailor file to make both forms work
> properly.  Here is a snip of the table and channel definitions:

I don't have any answers except to point out that, as always, it's
important for your readers to know what version of the software you're
running.  "SCO MMDF" doesn't help.  Run `uname -X` to get an OS release,
at least.

Also, you can probably do a lot by increasing the logging level on your
local & smtp channels.  "level=FTR" will probably fill your disk too
quickly, but try that and work down from there.  Start on the RFC822
addressing problem first, since you can duplicate that at will (while
you aren't sure what triggers the other).  That'll give you a feel for
tracing levels etc., which will help you lay a trap for the other
problem later.  You can change logging levels in mmdftailor without
rerunning dbmbuild, nor restarting any daemons, so for the RFC822
problem, the drill is something like: edit mmdftailor, setting
everything to FTR; save it; send a test piece of mail; copy back the old
mmdftailor with more reasonable trace levels; then look at the logs.

Quote:>Bela<

1. Deliver user@localhost to smart relay host instead

Hello,

I'm trying to consolidate mail from 50+ hosts into a single mail
server. sendmail on each of them is configured to use a smart realy
host. All servers now hand off their outbound messages to the smart
relay host instead of trying to deliver the messages themselves.

I have a few questions now, how do I get messages addressed as

delivered to the local user account.

For example:

1) Error messages from root's crontab are being sent to

host.

host1.domain.com are delivered localy to user123 on host1.domain.com:

   Subject: Test 1
   Test 1
   .
   EOT
   You have mail in /usr/mail/user
   [host1 /]> user... Connecting to local...
   user... Sent

Is there a way to hand this off to my smart relay host instead?

I'm using solaris 2.8 with sendmail 8.10.0

Thanks for any input.

2. dictionary search

3. MMDF does not deliver mail to any local users

4. Can't add packages or patches on Sparc 10/Solaris 2.4

5. How to make one Mail Hub (Relay Host) with SMTP ?

6. rsh bug ?

7. How can I make one SMTP Mail Hub (Relay Host) ?

8. Possible problems with my SDSL connection :(

9. slip and POP/SMTP outgoing mail - fails w/no host

10. MMDF won't deliver inbound mail

11. mmdf mail rejected by deliver from linux box, sendmail doesn't work

12. MMDF problem: One user's e-mail will not deliver

13. mmdf and ppp: failed mail messages fail!