Printing to NT printers from SCO 2.3V4.2

Printing to NT printers from SCO 2.3V4.2

Post by Kate Juli » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have SCO V3.2  and I used to print through a Novell server.
Everything was fine. Now I've replaced Novell with NT. It seems, that
though the NT printers are all set to data type raw, there's a
problem. Instead of the raw print job printing, NT tries to format the
test. Further, if I send control characters, NT tries to print them.
This problem is documented on the Microsoft site.

According to Microsoft,
"This problem occurs when the LPR client sends commands to the Windows
NT TCP/IP Print Server (usually called LPD,  after the UNIX term Line
Printer Daemon) that responds by assigning the print job the TEXT
datatype.  To work around this problem, reconfigure the LPR client to
send different commands so that Windows NT assigns the job the RAW
datatype.

Although LPR clients are often UNIX-based, LPR software exists for
most operating systems, including Windows NT. The Windows NT TCP/IP
Print Server (LPD) receives jobs from LPR clients and submits them to
the spooler. LPR clients always send a control file containing
administrative information with each print job. The Windows NT LPD
service assigns a datatype based on the control file commands. If the
client sends the "f", "o", or "p" control command, LPD assigns the job
the TEXT datatype. Otherwise, LPD assigns the print job the RAW
datatype.

Because the LPD service assigns a datatype explicitly, the Print
Manager default datatype has no effect on print jobs that arrive via
LPD. To change the LPD service behavior, reconfigure the PR client to
send a different control command.  "

Can anyone tell me how I do this under SCO 386?

Kate

Printing to NT printers from SCO 2.3V4.2

Post by Tom Phillip » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

We experienced the same problem.  The solution we found was to remove
the MS LPD program and use a 3rd party program called WINLPD from
Rabox.  Their web address is http://www.rabox.com.

This works great and runs under Win95/98 also.

> I have SCO V3.2  and I used to print through a Novell server.
> Everything was fine. Now I've replaced Novell with NT. It seems, that
> though the NT printers are all set to data type raw, there's a
> problem. Instead of the raw print job printing, NT tries to format the
> test. Further, if I send control characters, NT tries to print them.
> This problem is documented on the Microsoft site.

> According to Microsoft,
> "This problem occurs when the LPR client sends commands to the Windows
> NT TCP/IP Print Server (usually called LPD,  after the UNIX term Line
> Printer Daemon) that responds by assigning the print job the TEXT
> datatype.  To work around this problem, reconfigure the LPR client to
> send different commands so that Windows NT assigns the job the RAW
> datatype.

> Although LPR clients are often UNIX-based, LPR software exists for
> most operating systems, including Windows NT. The Windows NT TCP/IP
> Print Server (LPD) receives jobs from LPR clients and submits them to
> the spooler. LPR clients always send a control file containing
> administrative information with each print job. The Windows NT LPD
> service assigns a datatype based on the control file commands. If the
> client sends the "f", "o", or "p" control command, LPD assigns the job
> the TEXT datatype. Otherwise, LPD assigns the print job the RAW
> datatype.

> Because the LPD service assigns a datatype explicitly, the Print
> Manager default datatype has no effect on print jobs that arrive via
> LPD. To change the LPD service behavior, reconfigure the PR client to
> send a different control command.  "

> Can anyone tell me how I do this under SCO 386?

> Kate

1. Printing from SCO to NT/IP networked printer

 The situation:

A dual machine SCO Unix system running an accounts package.  Previously
wired to dumb terminals and terminal emulation (blast) on PCs thru
serial lines, is now set up in an institute-wide NT network based on
TCP/IP.  Most shared printers are connected by means of ethernet
(HP JetDirect).

The problem:

Users want to print on share printers.

How can I define a printer in SCO to be on an HP jet direct port?  I
have very little UNIX expertise, so the more verbose the suggestions the
better!

Thanx in advance
Marco van den Berg
International Center for Research in Agroforestry
Nairobi, Kenya

2. Sluggish system response over time ? memory release.

3. Is it possible to use an internal modem with SCO 2.3v4.2

4. printing problem

5. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

6. Is a shared memory segment contiguous?

7. Printing to two printers from one queue (Printers print identically not load balancing)

8. Mail

9. Printer from SCO to NT, URGENT

10. SCO and NT Printers

11. Printing from SOLARIS on WIN NT 3.51 Network HPLJ4P Printer

12. NT print onto Unix Printer

13. Printing Remotely to an NT/win95 attached printer