Problem installing SCO OpenServer 5.0 with IDE CD-ROM on IDE hard disk

Problem installing SCO OpenServer 5.0 with IDE CD-ROM on IDE hard disk

Post by Jerome Milazz » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I'am trying to install SCO OpenServer 5.0 on a PC
(DELL Optiplex GXL 5133), using an IDE cd-rom.

The hard disk (Western Digital caviar 31600) and
the cd-rom (Nec Corp. CDR-273) are on the same (primary)
IDE controler (Master and Slave).

No problems with the boot sequence (loading BTLD ATAPI
driver with the defbootstr ahslink=ATAPI)

I 'Identify the installation media device' as
'SCSI CD-ROM' with these parameters :
host adaptater type : wd
host adaptater number : 0
SCSI-ID : 1
SCSI-LUN : 0
SCSI bus number : 0

I have the first graphics screens, but the PC stop
when I have the (graphic) message :
'testing media installation device...'

did I do something wrong ?

I don't know if the problem is the ATAPI driver or
the hard disk driver...

I see something strange (?) in the system hardware report
The %adaptater and %disk have the same address...
(The %adaptater parameters seems to be OK when I read
the 'Release note')

I have already check the hard disk jumpers and the cd-rom
jumpers...

Should I add something like this at the boot prompt (?) :
defbootstr ahslink=ATAPI hd=... Sdsk=...(0,0,0,0)

I searched some informations on the Western Digital WEB server :
they say that NOVELL NetWare and UNIX do not work with the
translating BIOS feature (LBA : Logical Block Addressing (?))

Is it true for SCO unix ?

Should I disable this in the CMOS setup ?

Did someone have the same problem ?

Thanks in advance,
Jerome MILAZZO.

PS: I hope there is no mistake in this text, I'am French...!

Problem installing SCO OpenServer 5.0 with IDE CD-ROM on IDE hard disk

Post by Rozakos Ilia » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I'am trying to install SCO OpenServer 5.0 on a PC
> (DELL Optiplex GXL 5133), using an IDE cd-rom.

> The hard disk (Western Digital caviar 31600) and
> the cd-rom (Nec Corp. CDR-273) are on the same (primary)
> IDE controler (Master and Slave).

> No problems with the boot sequence (loading BTLD ATAPI
> driver with the defbootstr ahslink=ATAPI)

> I 'Identify the installation media device' as
> 'SCSI CD-ROM' with these parameters :
> host adaptater type : wd
> host adaptater number : 0
> SCSI-ID : 1
> SCSI-LUN : 0
> SCSI bus number : 0

OK, this is the correct setting for the slave CD-ROM on the first IDE
controller.

Quote:> I see something strange (?) in the system hardware report
> The %adaptater and %disk have the same address...
> (The %adaptater parameters seems to be OK when I read
> the 'Release note')

This means that the two drivers wd (= %adapter) and %disk are conflicting.
This is because the
wd driver (which is included in the ATAPI BTLD which you are using) is
actualy a replacement for the
original wd disk driver (IDE disk driver).
So, when you install the BTLD ATAPI, take a look at the installation
instructions (saying that there is already a wdinit procedure) and force
the system to replace the original wdinit procedure with the one
included in the ATAPI BTLD.
This should solve your problem.

Quote:> I searched some informations on the Western Digital WEB server :
> they say that NOVELL NetWare and UNIX do not work with the
> translating BIOS feature (LBA : Logical Block Addressing (?))

> Is it true for SCO unix ?

YES, unfortunately this is true.  You have to:
1) Disable the LBA translation from BIOS.
2) Install the correct geometry parameters for you disk in BIOS setup
(cylinders, heads, sectors).
3) In case your disk is not recognized by its correct geometry from the
system, select advanced hard disk installation (dkinit, fdisk, badtrack
etc) and force the correct goemetry of your drive in the system.
4) If you also want to have a DOS partition, be careful to make such a
partitioning that will allow the whole of the ROOT partition (mentioned as
BOOT or /stand) to be in the first 1024 cylinders area - the rest of the
unix partition can reside in the rest of the disk without any problem.
5) If you install DOS, Windows 95 or any other operating system AFTER the
installation of SCO, be sure
to re-run dkinit 0 0 W as root and restore the correct geometry of your
hard disk in the partition table.

For any other question feel free to ask.

Rozakos Ilias

Post by Jerome Milazz » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> This means that the two drivers wd (= %adapter) and %disk are conflicting.
> This is because the
> wd driver (which is included in the ATAPI BTLD which you are using) is
> actualy a replacement for the
> original wd disk driver (IDE disk driver).
> So, when you install the BTLD ATAPI, take a look at the installation
> instructions (saying that there is already a wdinit procedure) and force
> the system to replace the original wdinit procedure with the one
> included in the ATAPI BTLD.
> This should solve your problem.

Thanks for your answer !

I try to connect the cd-rom drive on the second IDE controler, and
the address of %adaptater and %disk are now differents... BUT I still
have the same problem : my PC stop after te message 'testing media...'
!?!?

I don't find anything about the wdinit procedure on my documentation...

When I use the "defbootstr" with "ahslink=ATAPI" there are no questions
about
this procedure in the installations steps.

Should I use "defbootstr link=ATAPI" (?) : I have to answer some
questions
about the driver I want to replace etc...

I saw in the system hardware report that %disk and %adaptater had
different
type ; the first is type=W0 and the second is type=wd

Is this normal (?) Why the %disk driver type is not the "wd" ?

Thanks in advance.

Jerome Milazzo

Problem installing SCO OpenServer 5.0 with IDE CD-ROM on IDE hard disk

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Rozakos> This means that the two drivers wd (= %adapter) and %disk are conflicting.
Rozakos> This is because the
Rozakos> wd driver (which is included in the ATAPI BTLD which you are using) is
Rozakos> actualy a replacement for the
Rozakos> original wd disk driver (IDE disk driver).
Rozakos> So, when you install the BTLD ATAPI, take a look at the installation
Rozakos> instructions (saying that there is already a wdinit procedure) and force
Rozakos> the system to replace the original wdinit procedure with the one
Rozakos> included in the ATAPI BTLD.
Rozakos> This should solve your problem.

This is incorrect.  The ATAPI driver replaces the original "wd" driver;
both drivers will never be active at the same time in the same kernel.

The driver prints two device identification lines because it is using
the same device (the EIDE controller) as two different things: a disk
controller ("%disk ... type=W0") and a SCSI host adapter ("%adapter ...
type=wd").  It isn't *really* a SCSI host adapter, but it's presenting
it as one to the system.  It's normal, in the case of the wd/ATAPI
driver, to print both of those device identifications with the same I/O
addresses.  It is not a conflict.

Jerome> I try to connect the cd-rom drive on the second IDE controler, and
Jerome> the address of %adaptater and %disk are now differents... BUT I still
Jerome> have the same problem : my PC stop after te message 'testing media...'
Jerome> !?!?

You did not need to move your CD to the second controller.  The problem
is caused by something else.

Jerome> I don't find anything about the wdinit procedure on my documentation...
Jerome>
Jerome> When I use the "defbootstr" with "ahslink=ATAPI" there are no questions
Jerome> about
Jerome> this procedure in the installations steps.
Jerome>
Jerome> Should I use "defbootstr link=ATAPI" (?) : I have to answer some
Jerome> questions
Jerome> about the driver I want to replace etc...

No, do not use "link".  Use "ahslink".

Jerome> I searched some informations on the Western Digital WEB server :
Jerome> they say that NOVELL NetWare and UNIX do not work with the
Jerome> translating BIOS feature (LBA : Logical Block Addressing (?))
Jerome>
Jerome> Is it true for SCO unix ?

Rozakos> YES, unfortunately this is true.  You have to:
Rozakos> 1) Disable the LBA translation from BIOS.
Rozakos> 2) Install the correct geometry parameters for you disk in BIOS setup
Rozakos> (cylinders, heads, sectors).

This was true for SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 and earlier, with the original "wd"
driver.  OpenServer Release 5's "wd" driver supports LBA and other EIDE
features.  A later version of the "wd" driver which additionally
supports ATAPI CD-ROMs was provided on the original Release Supplement
5.0.0c disk, on the AHS 5.1 and 5.2 BTLD disks, and is built into the
5.0.2 N00 boot disk.  That driver was later ported back to Unix 3.2v4.2
and provided in SLS uod429a.

Thus, all versions of OpenServer 5, and Unix 3.2v4.2 / Open Desktop /
Open Server 3.0 with uod429a, support LBA mode.  uod429a can be used as
a replacement N1 disk for 3.2v4.2 and ODT 3.0, allowing the OS to be
installed in LBA mode.

  Operating system                                 IDE  LBA  ATAPI
  3.2v4.2 / ODT 3.0                                YES  NO   NO
  3.2v4.2 / ODT 3.0 with uod429a                   YES  YES  YES
  OpenServer Release 5.0.0                         YES  YES  NO
    -- with "ahslink=ATAPI" BTLD from rs500c       YES  YES  YES
    -- with "ahslink=wd" BTLD from AHS 5.1 or 5.2  YES  YES  YES
  OpenServer Release 5.0.2                         YES  YES  YES
  OpenServer "Free Unix" package (5.0.2)           YES  YES  YES
  OpenServer "Internet FastStart" package (5.0.2)  YES  YES  YES

Quote:>Bela<