Creating install boot diskette from cd-rom

Creating install boot diskette from cd-rom

Post by Dina Brunstei » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Is it possible to create the bootable SCO v5.0 Desktop install
diskette(s?) from CD ROM *IF* I only have access to a MS-DOS computer w/
CD-ROM drive?  If so, how would I do this.

TIA

Post by Bela Lubki » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Is it possible to create the bootable SCO v5.0 Desktop install
> diskette(s?) from CD ROM *IF* I only have access to a MS-DOS computer w/
> CD-ROM drive?  If so, how would I do this.

On the OpenServer 5.0.2 CD (or on the Free OpenServer CD), disk images
are stored in /opt/images.  I'm not sure if they're also on the 5.0.0.
From DOS, you could use "rawrite" or a similar program to write one of
those images onto a floppy.  rawrite is available on lots of FTP sites
including most Linux & BSD repositories.

Note that you can only create a boot disk this way.  You must still use
the CD-ROM as the source medium for the main install files; you cannot
make a collection of >100 floppies and install from those.

Quote:>Bela<

Creating install boot diskette from cd-rom

Post by Bela Lubki » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Is it possible to create the bootable SCO v5.0 Desktop install
> diskette(s?) from CD ROM *IF* I only have access to a MS-DOS computer w/
> CD-ROM drive?  If so, how would I do this.

On the OpenServer 5.0.2 CD (or on the Free OpenServer CD), disk images
are stored in /opt/images.  I'm not sure if they're also on the 5.0.0.
From DOS, you could use "rawrite" or a similar program to write one of

Post by Bela Lubki » Sun, 22 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> On the OpenServer 5.0.2 CD (or on the Free OpenServer CD), disk images
> are stored in /opt/images.  I'm not sure if they're also on the 5.0.0.
> From DOS, you could use "rawrite" or a similar program to write one of
> those images onto a floppy.  rawrite is available on lots of FTP sites
> including most Linux & BSD repositories.

I was mistaken; the floppy images on the OSR5.0.2 CD are actually under
/images (i.e. /mnt/images, if you mounted the CD on /mnt; or perhaps
E:\IMAGES if you're accessing it from DOS).  The floppy images are a new
feature of the 5.0.2 CD; they don't exist on the OSR5.0.0 CD.
Quote:>Bela<

Creating install boot diskette from cd-rom

Post by Bela Lubki » Sun, 22 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> On the OpenServer 5.0.2 CD (or on the Free OpenServer CD), disk images
> are stored in /opt/images.  I'm not sure if they're also on the 5.0.0.
> From DOS, you could use "rawrite" or a similar program to write one of
> those images onto a floppy.  rawrite is available on lots of FTP sites
> including most Linux & BSD repositories.

I was mistaken; the floppy images on the OSR5.0.2 CD are actually under
/images (i.e. /mnt/images, if you mounted the CD on /mnt; or perhaps
E:\IMAGES if you're accessing it from DOS).  The floppy images are a new
feature of the 5.0.2 CD; they don't exist on the OSR5.0.0 CD.
Quote:>Bela<

1. x86 2.1 Boot Diskette can't see CD-ROM

   I just got my x86 system to install Solaris 2.1 on, but am having a
very large problem.  The boot/install(2.1) program on the diskette
that came with Solaris can't seem to see the CD-ROM disk.

  I stick the CD-ROM in the drive,
  Insert the Diskette
  Turn on the machine.

  The machine goes through it's startup and self test and then the
installation program starts up.  It goes through a whole set of
searches and then presents me a list and asks to select a bottable
disk to startup on.  I would exect to see the CD-ROM there but only
the two hard disks that the machine was shipped with shows up.

   The computer, the SCSI EISA card and the CD-ROM are on the
compatibility list.

   ALR  90 Mhz Pentium Revolution QSMP
   Bus Logic SCSI EISA Adapter
   Texel CD-ROM

   What am I missing?

--
Andrew E. Page   (Warrior Poet) |   Decision and Effort The Archer and Arrow
Mac Consultant                  |     The difference between what we are

2. dns, gateway, ip forward?

3. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

4. add support for PC-9800 architecture (SCSI)

5. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

6. Find

7. creating linux install diskettes from CD

8. masq: Asheron's Call. ipchains works, iptables does not

9. How do you create BOS Boot and Install/Maint diskettes?

10. Special: Linux on CD-ROM or Diskette, $29.99

11. FreeBSD install can't see CD-ROM after boot

12. help with cd-rom boot and install, strange problem

13. cd-rom drive not recognized if installed after boot