SCO 5.0 -> NT 3.51 Printing

Post by Paul Harringt » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi All,
My customer has a laser printer PCL 5 connected to an NT 3.51 server.  We have
configured SCO 5.0 to use remote printing to print to the printer and thats
works fine.  The problem is that the print files contain PCL 5 control
codes that set the printer to landscape etc.  The problem is that these
codes are being sent to the printer from the NT server as text, rather
than raw as we require.  Does anyone now if there is a way to send
the print job tothe NT server and set the printer in RAW mode.

I have tried lp -dxyz -ol file but this doesn't work.

Any comments appreciated.

SCO 5.0 -> NT 3.51 Printing

Post by Nils Myklebu » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

:Hi All,
:My customer has a laser printer PCL 5 connected to an NT 3.51 server.  We have
:configured SCO 5.0 to use remote printing to print to the printer and thats
:works fine.  The problem is that the print files contain PCL 5 control
:codes that set the printer to landscape etc.  The problem is that these
:codes are being sent to the printer from the NT server as text, rather
:than raw as we require.  Does anyone now if there is a way to send
:the print job tothe NT server and set the printer in RAW mode.

:I have tried lp -dxyz -ol file but this doesn't work.

:Any comments appreciated.

There was a long thread on this on the Windows NT news group about a
month or so ago. There where *no* solution found though. My conclusion
is that it's a bug in the Windows NT print spooler.
The only option than is to install a third party lpd program on
Windows NT. Network Instruments have one that we are going to test
now. It works excelently on Windows 3.1 and we expect the same on NT.
They are on www.netinst.com

We would still be happy to here from anyone who have been able to
do this on NT using NT tools only.

NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway
My opinions are those of my company

SCO 5.0 -> NT 3.51 Printing

Post by Dave Broo » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>My customer has a laser printer PCL 5 connected to an NT 3.51 server.  We
have
>configured SCO 5.0 to use remote printing to print to the printer and thats
>works fine.  The problem is that the print files contain PCL 5 control
>codes that set the printer to landscape etc.  The problem is that these
>codes are being sent to the printer from the NT server as text, rather
>than raw as we require.  Does anyone now if there is a way to send
>the print job tothe NT server and set the printer in RAW mode.

You need the LPD to be in 'raw' or 'pass through' mode. You might try looking
at RPM; it's our LPD server, and is very easy to configure WRT to text, pass
through, etc. The demo on the Web is free and fully functional and the product
is supported and moderately priced.  No, it's NOT shareware, just reasonably
priced commercial ware.

Think about it; if you compete with something included for free (like the NT
lpd) it has to have some clear advantages, right :-)

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
Dave

1. Print to Microsoft NT Server 3.51 or Win95 from SCO Unix ?

Dear Netters:

Is there a way one can print to the Win95 or NT Server shared printer from a
SCO Unix shell session ?  Something like 'lpr file.txt' ?  If so what must
be set up to allow this.  I am more concerned about setting up the NT Server
or Win95 machine to accept print jobs from a SCO Unix session.  It is not
so bad configuring SCO to print to a locally connected printer but having
it print to a network printer is a different ball game.  Seriously I would
appreciate very much any help, advice, pointers etc. etc.

Please email, my news access is so unreliable.

Thanks,
Nick

2. A new front in the war is opening!

3. Windows NT 3.51 and SCO O.S r5.0

4. Newbie: Pls advise install Mandrake 7 on K6-2/350 +UMAX SCSI scanner

5. Q: How to make a SCO ODT 3 box to ppp into NT 3.51?

6. testing

7. SCO 5.0.2 NT 3.51 connect

8. syslogd and DNS-calls

9. SCO ppp to NT 3.51 server

10. Connecting SCO to NT 3.51

11. NT 3.51 ps printing, from linux

12. Printing from SOLARIS on WIN NT 3.51 Network HPLJ4P Printer

13. Linux PPP -> NT RAS 3.51? Help!