problem installing SCO UNIX 4.2 with a flashpoint adapter

problem installing SCO UNIX 4.2 with a flashpoint adapter

Post by Sicafa » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello, I am trying to install SCO UNIX on a machine equipped with a
flashpoint
host adapter,
I already have downloaded the drivers and made the BTLD disk which loads
fine.
but during the devices initialization the installer gives me this message
:

WARNING : SCSI adaptor: Cannot install vecno=10, type=1, IPL=5
Vector 10 is private

the installation goes on and when I can see the harddisk led being lit,
suddenly the machine freezes

the adapter we use is a flashpoint LT host adapter and it uses the IRQ
channel 10

Post by Ali Kalakec » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello, I am trying to install SCO UNIX on a machine equipped with a
flashpoint
host adapter,
I already have downloaded the drivers and made the BTLD disk which loads
fine.
but during the devices initialization the installer gives me this
message :

WARNING : SCSI adaptor: Cannot install vecno=10, type=1, IPL=5
Vector 10 is private

the installation goes on and when I can see the harddisk led being lit,
suddenly the machine freezes

the adapter we use is a flashpoint LT host adapter and it uses the IRQ
channel 10

Could you please Hello, I am trying to install SCO UNIX on a machine
equipped with a flashpoint
host adapter,
I already have downloaded the drivers and made the BTLD disk which loads
fine.
but during the devices initialization the installer gives me this
message :

WARNING : SCSI adaptor: Cannot install vecno=10, type=1, IPL=5
Vector 10 is private

the installation goes on and when I can see the harddisk led being lit,
suddenly the machine freezes

the adapter we use is a flashpoint LT host adapter and it uses the IRQ
channel 10

Could you please give me some information in order to resolve this
problem ?
thank you.

problem installing SCO UNIX 4.2 with a flashpoint adapter

Post by Lawrence Kir » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello, I am trying to install SCO UNIX on a machine equipped with a
>flashpoint
>host adapter,

I don't know this adapter, is it a PCI card?

Quote:>I already have downloaded the drivers and made the BTLD disk which loads
>fine.
>but during the devices initialization the installer gives me this message
>:

>WARNING : SCSI adaptor: Cannot install vecno=10, type=1, IPL=5
>Vector 10 is private

This indicates that some other device configured in the kernel is using
IRQ 10 (and doesn't want to share it).

Quote:>the installation goes on and when I can see the harddisk led being lit,
>suddenly the machine freezes

>the adapter we use is a flashpoint LT host adapter and it uses the IRQ
>channel 10

The fix may be as simple as removing IRQ 10 from the IRQ list available to
plug n' play cards in the main system BIOS setup.

Post by P McBrid » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello, I am trying to install SCO UNIX on a machine equipped with a
>flashpoint
>host adapter,
>I already have downloaded the drivers and made the BTLD disk which loads
>fine.
>but during the devices initialization the installer gives me this message
>:

>WARNING : SCSI adaptor: Cannot install vecno=10, type=1, IPL=5
>Vector 10 is private

>the installation goes on and when I can see the harddisk led being lit,
>suddenly the machine freezes

>the adapter we use is a flashpoint LT host adapter and it uses the IRQ
>channel 10

Hi, I had exactly the same problem, installing 3.2.4.0 onto PPro (AMI
bios) with Flashpt LT.  It took me a week to resolve ... unfortunately I
cant remember exactly how I did it!!.

I could install onto a pentium system (Award bios) with same Flashpt but
when I moved card and HD over to PPro the Flashpt address moved and SCO
could not see the card.  I also tried installing via an adaptec 1542
then changing updating to the flashpt drivers.

I think I eventually resolved the problem by installing SCO on the
pentium and (here is the crucial bit) installing the maintenance
supplement 4.2. after which all was fine.  The catch here is that you
can't install the supplement until you have successfully installed the
OS :-((.

I mention the bios's above because I think the problem lies with the way
the bios allocates interrupts and IO addresses for the PCI cards, some
boards do this better (and are more configurable) than others.

If I remember exactly how I managed it I'll let you know.

Regards
--
CCCCCCL P McBride
CMMMMML Tel: +44 (0) 181 563 1003

LLLLLLL ClassMethod Limited

Post by Charlie Garget » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello, I am trying to install SCO UNIX on a machine equipped with a
> flashpoint
> host adapter,
> I already have downloaded the drivers and made the BTLD disk which loads
> fine.
> but during the devices initialization the installer gives me this message
> :

> WARNING : SCSI adaptor: Cannot install vecno=10, type=1, IPL=5
> Vector 10 is private

> the installation goes on and when I can see the harddisk led being lit,
> suddenly the machine freezes

> the adapter we use is a flashpoint LT host adapter and it uses the IRQ
> channel 10

Sounds as though you might be getting an interrupt conflict. Check to see
that no other device is using this IRQ. If not, then check you PCI config
(if
you have PCI) and make sure that IRQ 10 is not in use by any of the PCI
slots (or in the reserved PCI interrupt queue).

Cheers.
Charlie. (SCO A.C.E.)

1. Installing Sco Unix 3.2 4.2 On A Toshiba T6600C

Ok Let's try again

I am trying to install Unix 3.2v4.2 onto a toshiba T6600C laptop. This has
a 550Mb IDE hdu 16Mb Ram and a SCSI QIC tape drive. The SCSI and IDE
controllers are both on board. The problem is that when booting off the
install floppy the hdu is not seen by the os. This causes the installation
to hang when I try to do a custom or typical installation.

 So go on then, tell me what i'm doing wrong.

2. donmck@myhost Ver 3.0

3. SCO unix "version" 4.2 (was: Re: SCO marketroids strike again!)

4. Urgent: Linux and IBM PCI Token Ring

5. Changing from SCO XENIX to SCO Unix v.4.2

6. snmp on localhost

7. How are SCO Unix 3.2 user types defined ??

8. Problem using ftp with SCO Unix 4.2

9. LBA SCO UNIX 4.2 problems

10. Problem with Serial Link on SCO UNIX Release 3.2 Version 4.2

11. Problems (dparam error)Installing 2nd 1.2GIG IDE Drive on SCO 3.2 4.2

12. Installing RedHat 4.2 using Soundblaster SCSI (Adaptec 1520) adapter