Need Help w/New Install of SCO OpenServer 5.04 on PC with an IDE CDrom

Need Help w/New Install of SCO OpenServer 5.04 on PC with an IDE CDrom

Post by Trans War » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello

I received a free SCO OpenServer cdrom with a boot disk from SCO and I
Needed help to install on a p200 PC with a CDRom connected to an ide
controller

I boot the disk and get to the 'BOOT: '   prompt
I know I need a boot time loadable module to initialize the cdrom but
where might
I be able to get it?
Or how else may I install the cd rom?

Thank you.

Post by Tom Parson » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:Trans Warp writes:
>Hello

>I received a free SCO OpenServer cdrom with a boot disk from SCO and I
>Needed help to install on a p200 PC with a CDRom connected to an ide
>controller

>I boot the disk and get to the 'BOOT: '   prompt
>I know I need a boot time loadable module to initialize the cdrom but
>where might
>I be able to get it?
>Or how else may I install the cd rom?

Did you try pressing <Enter>?

Need Help w/New Install of SCO OpenServer 5.04 on PC with an IDE CDrom

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Trans Warp telecommunicated:
| Hello
|
| I received a free SCO OpenServer cdrom with a boot disk from SCO and I
| Needed help to install on a p200 PC with a CDRom connected to an ide
| controller
|
| I boot the disk and get to the 'BOOT: '   prompt
| I know I need a boot time loadable module to initialize the cdrom but
| where might
| I be able to get it?
| Or how else may I install the cd rom?

How do you know you need a BTLD, and which BTLD might it be?

--

Post by Bela Lubki » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I received a free SCO OpenServer cdrom with a boot disk from SCO and I
> Needed help to install on a p200 PC with a CDRom connected to an ide
> controller

> I boot the disk and get to the 'BOOT: '   prompt
> I know I need a boot time loadable module to initialize the cdrom but
> where might
> I be able to get it?
> Or how else may I install the cd rom?

It depends on what version of Free OpenServer, and what kind of CD-ROM
you have.  If it's OpenServer 5.0.4, you almost certainly don't need a
BTLD.  Just hit return at the Boot: prompt.
Quote:>Bela<

Need Help w/New Install of SCO OpenServer 5.04 on PC with an IDE CDrom

Post by Michael Hanse » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello

> I received a free SCO OpenServer cdrom with a boot disk from SCO and I
> Needed help to install on a p200 PC with a CDRom connected to an ide
> controller

> I boot the disk and get to the 'BOOT: '   prompt
> I know I need a boot time loadable module to initialize the cdrom but
> where might
> I be able to get it?
> Or how else may I install the cd rom?

> Thank you.

Hi there!

I have my experience from SCO Internet Faststart, but that shouldn't pose a
problem. Installing SCO-Unix is possible via a EIDE-compliant CDROM-drive,
i.e. a ATAPI-compatible CDROM-drive. You will need to specify a bootstring
at startup, only if you have a SCSI-adapter installed in your system.

If the installation-procedure is the same in Openserver and Internet
Faststart, at a point in installation you will be prompted for
"Installation Media Device". At this point you simply choose SCSI-CDROM.
Select wd for the SCSI-adapter-type. Select 0 or 1 for the host adapter
number, depending on if the CDROM-drive is attached to the primary or
secondary IDE-controller in yor system. Select 0 or 1 as SCSI-ID, depending
on if the CDROM-drive is configured as master or slave. Select 0 for SCSI
LUN and for SCSI bus number. This should enable your CDROM-drive as the
installation-media.

In some systems it's neccesary to install a SCSI-host-adapter in the system
to make this work, but you don't need a SCSI-CDROM.

The above is described in "SCO Internet Faststart Release Notes" ver. 1.0
(printed documentation).

Good luck and kind regards from,

        Michael B. Hansen

Need Help w/New Install of SCO OpenServer 5.04 on PC with an IDE CDrom

Post by ab.. » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello

>I received a free SCO OpenServer cdrom with a boot disk from SCO and I
>Needed help to install on a p200 PC with a CDRom connected to an ide
>controller

>I boot the disk and get to the 'BOOT: '   prompt
>I know I need a boot time loadable module to initialize the cdrom but
>where might
>I be able to get it?
>Or how else may I install the cd rom?

>Thank you.

To install from IDE CD:

Hit return at boot prompt (no Boot time drivers needed)

Choose SCSI CD from the options list

Select WD for host adaptor type

select 0 if primary IDE 1 if secondary IDE device (probably 1)

If CD set as MASTER choose 0 for its SCSI ID if slave choose 1
(probably 0)

select 0 for SCSI LUN

Select 0 for SCSI bus no.

SCO should find your drive and install