Problem with Adaptec AHA-1542CP

Post by Phil Gra » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Can anyone help ?

We are having a big problem with one of these cards. Its the first one
we've had with the new plug and play bits added.

During a SCO Unix boot, the hard disk when running of the 1542CP card
gets to F12 during the hardware recognition bit of the boot process
and hangs. When running of a standard 1542 it boots fine.

We have spoken to various tech support people and have been told to do
the following (all of which have made no difference) :-

1. Disable Plug and Play using jumpers on the card.
2. Disable Plug and Play in the SCSI bios.
3. Avoid using interrupt 9. (We never were anyway), we are using 11.

Has anyone got or overcome similar problems.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Post by Sean Embr » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>We are having a big problem with one of these cards. Its the first one
>we've had with the new plug and play bits added.

>Snip<
>We have spoken to various tech support people and have been told to do
>the following (all of which have made no difference) :-

>1. Disable Plug and Play using jumpers on the card.
>2. Disable Plug and Play in the SCSI bios.
>3. Avoid using interrupt 9. (We never were anyway), we are using 11.

>Has anyone got or overcome similar problems.

   Phil,

   I've had the same problem with Adaptec controllers, not just the
1542CP. Two additional steps:
1. Get the new 154x drivers from www.sco.com (if you don't already have
them).
2. Use F6 to reset the card to factory defaults. Yes, I know you double
and triple checked the settings, but so did I. When I reset the card, put
back the non-default selections, I got it to work (mostly).

  If you still can't get the card to work, buy an Always or DPT card. I
don't have any problems with these, and Tech Support seems pretty up on
SCO configuration.
--
Sean

Problem with Adaptec AHA-1542CP

Post by crimaso » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Also enter the bootstring
boot

: defbootstr adapter=(0x230,11,5) hd=Sdsk

Post by M.Yous » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Can anyone help ?
>We are having a big problem with one of these cards. Its the first one
>we've had with the new plug and play bits added.
>During a SCO Unix boot, the hard disk when running of the 1542CP card
>gets to F12 during the hardware recognition bit of the boot process
>and hangs. When running of a standard 1542 it boots fine.
>We have spoken to various tech support people and have been told to do
>the following (all of which have made no difference) :-
>1. Disable Plug and Play using jumpers on the card.
>2. Disable Plug and Play in the SCSI bios.
>3. Avoid using interrupt 9. (We never were anyway), we are using 11.
>Has anyone got or overcome similar problems.
>Thanks in advance,
>Phil

New drivers is called uod419a this is located in the SLS directory in
www.sco.com (i think).  If this help the problem can you email me
becos i have the same similar problem with a IBM scsi-2 1.2GB disk
drive.

Post by Thomas Beag » Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>We are having a big problem with one of these cards. Its the first one
>we've had with the new plug and play bits added.
>During a SCO Unix boot, the hard disk when running of the 1542CP card
>gets to F12 during the hardware recognition bit of the boot process
>and hangs. When running of a standard 1542 it boots fine.

For the version before Openserver 5 (SCO's version numbering is too
confusing for me)...

From that description I'm not sure how far it's getting - but when I
tried installing a 1542CP in an IBM PS/Valuepoint it never even got as
far as showing the boot: prompt.

On the other hand, the same card in a more standard no-name clone
worked very well with the same hard disk. This was with pretty well
all the options on the card turned off.

Post by Stephen M. Du » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

$During a SCO Unix boot, the hard disk when running of the 1542CP card
$gets to F12 during the hardware recognition bit of the boot process
$and hangs. When running of a standard 1542 it boots fine.

   "standard" 1542?  Is that a 1542B, C, CF, or CP?  Or are there
others I've not seen?  :-)  As of right now, I believe the 1542CP
_is_ the current standard; since Adaptec designs the things, I
guess they have the right to set the standard.

   Apparently, there are problems with some older SCO OSes when
using the 1542CP (even though a 1542CF may work in exactly the same
situation).  I've used OSR5 with a CP on a couple of machines with
no problems, and I've heard of others with the same experience,
so I'll guess that your unknown version of SCO Unix is not OSR5.

   I believe the new ad driver for at least some older SCO Unix
releases is available in the usual places.  That might cure your
problem.

   You might also want to play around with even more of the BIOS
settings than you already have.  If it looks like something neat
and spiffy, try turning it off to see if it makes a difference.
You've already turned off plug'n'play support; you could also
look at the ones about continuously scanning the SCSI bus and
things like that.  I've heard reports of some people getting
the 154xCP to work on older releases, even without the new driver,
and it seems that's usually done by adjusting BIOS settings.

Stephen M. Dunn, CNE, ACE, Sr. Systems Analyst, United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Stephen M. Dunn writes:

>    Apparently, there are problems with some older SCO OSes when
> using the 1542CP (even though a 1542CF may work in exactly the same
> situation).  I've used OSR5 with a CP on a couple of machines with
> no problems, and I've heard of others with the same experience,
> so I'll guess that your unknown version of SCO Unix is not OSR5.

>    I believe the new ad driver for at least some older SCO Unix
> releases is available in the usual places.  That might cure your
> problem.

SLS UOD419A provides a new driver for the AHA1540CP/1542CP card  that keeps
the installation from* at F12 during the hardware initialization
sequence.

--

Problem with Adaptec AHA-1542CP

Post by Bryan Buchan » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

says...

(Phi
>l Grace) writes:
>$During a SCO Unix boot, the hard disk when running of the 1542CP card
>$gets to F12 during the hardware recognition bit of the boot process
>$and hangs. When running of a standard 1542 it boots fine.

>   I believe the new ad driver for at least some older SCO Unix
>releases is available in the usual places.  That might cure your
>problem.

>Stephen M. Dunn, CNE, ACE, Sr. Systems Analyst, United System Solutions Inc.
>104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

Has anyone used uod419a patch and actually got 3.2.4.2 running ?
I've loaded the new xad driver, and this fixes the F12 problem - I can load
UNIX, but can't reboot. On a reboot I get:

not a directory
boot not found
cannot open
Stage 1 boot failure:error loading hd(40)/boot

(The same hardware configutation will boot fine with NT or Win95).

Bryan

Problem with Adaptec AHA-1542CP

Post by System Administrat » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

The 1542CP uses plug and play bios. When installed in a system that has a
motherboard configured also for plug and play weird things start happening with
IRQs. I had the same problem installing a 1542CP into a Dell P75t workstation
that had plug and play bios. I never successfully resolved the problem and had
to use a 1542CF instead.